Why are some people w/ above median GPA & LSAT rejected/wait-listed? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Katyusha

New

Why are some people w/ above median GPA & LSAT rejected/wait-listed?

Post by Katyusha » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:25 am

Hi folks.
I'm in the fall 2018 circle and now reading admission statistics online. I find that each year, there are some people with above-median/above 75% GPA and LSAT rejected or waitlisted by schools. For example, there was a guy with a 3.9 GPA and 179 LSAT rejected by Harvard last year. I'm wondering how did it happen? And how can I avoid this outcome?
Thank you so much.

snowball2

Bronze

Re: Why are some people w/ above median GPA & LSAT rejected/wait-listed?

Post by snowball2 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:47 am

Possibly because there are only so many spots and the better schools draw the most applicants with top qualifications?

LieutenantElmo

New

Post by LieutenantElmo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:42 am

Katyusha,

The numbers are not totally indicative of the sitatuation. Perhaps they had several C&F problems (multiple DUIs, felony charges, etc.) or perhaps they had little experience in their resume or personal statement. There is a long list of possibilities that range from botched interviews to rude emails and phone calls. Don't do these and you'll most likely be fine.

DebtPrisoner

New

Post by DebtPrisoner » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:23 pm

or becus they cant right

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:30 pm

It's called yield protecting. One factor in a law school's ranking is how many admitted applicants matriculate to the school. The higher that percentage, the more it helps the school's ranking.

So, if you're a 4.0 with a 175, and you apply to a school like BU or BC, the adcomms at those schools will know that you are certain to get admissions offers at higher ranked law schools, and may reject you to protect their yield %.

hope that helps

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:08 pm

minnbills wrote:It's called yield protecting. One factor in a law school's ranking is how many admitted applicants matriculate to the school. The higher that percentage, the more it helps the school's ranking.

So, if you're a 4.0 with a 175, and you apply to a school like BU or BC, the adcomms at those schools will know that you are certain to get admissions offers at higher ranked law schools, and may reject you to protect their yield %.

hope that helps
This is also why if you have a school you really like, a well written "Why X" essay offers value. If adcomms truly believe you're interested in the school and aren't just going to attend the highest ranked school, you're more likely to get an offer.

Katyusha

New

Post by Katyusha » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm

Thank you so much for all your replies above. They really help.
My concern is that my resume is kind of "weak." Most of my experiences are about research, teaching, and translation. I don't have law-related working experiences, nor did I ever work in a renowned company (I will graduate from college this summer and then work in Australia. My GPA is 3.90/3.91). Do you guys think this will have a negative impact on my admission? Thank you!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:02 am

Katyusha wrote:Thank you so much for all your replies above. They really help.
My concern is that my resume is kind of "weak." Most of my experiences are about research, teaching, and translation. I don't have law-related working experiences, nor did I ever work in a renowned company (I will graduate from college this summer and then work in Australia. My GPA is 3.90/3.91). Do you guys think this will have a negative impact on my admission? Thank you!
Half your class will be K-JD. No, it won't have a negative impact so long as you make yourself appear interesting. There's no need for, or expectation of, prior legal experience. Just portray yourself as someone that will contribute something to the class.

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Post by BeeTeeZ » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:51 am

Race/gender equity also plays a role. Can't have too many men, whites/asians, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Heyy_Y'all

New

Post by Heyy_Y'all » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:25 am

This literally just happened to me. #YieldPROTECTION Now I'm left trying to craft a LOCI without it sounding rude. Smh!

Heyy_Y'all

New

Post by Heyy_Y'all » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:27 am

minnbills wrote:It's called yield protecting. One factor in a law school's ranking is how many admitted applicants matriculate to the school. The higher that percentage, the more it helps the school's ranking.

hope that helps
THIS!!!!

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:21 am

DebtPrisoner wrote:or becus they cant right
Haha, write on! And probably true. Some people don't know how to sell themselves very well through a well written PS and come off as douchebags. That ends up hurting their chances.

Yulifus

New

Post by Yulifus » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:11 pm

Several factors, such as questionable C & F, diversity, poorly written personal statement, less than impressive resume, no extracurricular activities.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”