Will scholarship offers ever start drying up? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
southernnewbie

New

Will scholarship offers ever start drying up?

Post by southernnewbie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:07 pm

From talking to people who went to law school years/decades ago, it's clear that schools didn't usually give out large scholarships until the recession and consequent huge slump in applications in the last 10 years or so made scholarships necessary to entice students. They often seem shocked that it's possible to get a full scholarship to law school now if you just have good enough grades and LSAT scores.

Is there any possibility that, if law school applications rise again, scholarship awards will become less common and/or smaller and the admissions process will go back to how it used to be? Obviously this is hypothetical and not something to stress about yet, but it might be something for people considering putting off law school for a few years to consider. Anyone have predictions or opinions?

chargers21

Gold

Re: Will scholarship offers ever start drying up?

Post by chargers21 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:15 pm

Nope, it won't happen. The market and business has simply changed forever not only because of the recession, but because of technology and inertia. The new method for law schools to make money is pretty evident when you look at places like NYU and Columbia where half of the students are paying sticker. They basically pay for medians and then have splitters pay full price to help out their financials.
Edit: plus thet jack up the tuition every year, making sticker more expensive

Effingham

Bronze

Post by Effingham » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Hah, translation - “do I really have to re-take the LSAT?”

My theory is that the increase in scholarships is tied moreso to it being a flexible device to attract specific talent while still maintaining absurdly high tuition. The fact that tuition was dramatically more sensible before scholarships were a big deal supports this.

I don’t think we are going to see some dramatic increase in qualified applicants such that law schools can meaningfully compete for the top scorers while not offering anything in return. The fact that the number of applicants with the highest percentile LSAT scores has not increased at the same rate as middling applicants supports this.

Don’t try to time law school, just get a good LSAT (which very often means re-taking) and go to the school that is appropriate for your goals and financial circumstances - and if there is no school that fits the above guidelines, despite having taken the LSAT multiple times and studiously prepared, do something more interesting/useful with your life, like a lifeguard or paratrooper or DJ if you’re in bad shape.

Timofey_Pnin

New

Post by Timofey_Pnin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:38 pm

chargers21 wrote:Nope, it won't happen. The market and business has simply changed forever not only because of the recession, but because of technology and inertia. The new method for law schools to make money is pretty evident when you look at places like NYU and Columbia where half of the students are paying sticker. They basically pay for medians and then have splitters pay full price to help out their financials.
Edit: plus thet jack up the tuition every year, making sticker more expensive

Haha I wish Columbia paid for medians. Go on lsn and look at what a 3.9/172 applicant gets (spoiler it's nothing)

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:56 pm

southernnewbie wrote:From talking to people who went to law school years/decades ago, it's clear that schools didn't usually give out large scholarships until the recession and consequent huge slump in applications in the last 10 years or so made scholarships necessary to entice students. They often seem shocked that it's possible to get a full scholarship to law school now if you just have good enough grades and LSAT scores.

Is there any possibility that, if law school applications rise again, scholarship awards will become less common and/or smaller and the admissions process will go back to how it used to be? Obviously this is hypothetical and not something to stress about yet, but it might be something for people considering putting off law school for a few years to consider. Anyone have predictions or opinions?
Not in the short term. If anything they will keep rising. In the mid or long term it is possible if a second ranking system or even more diffuse rankings (like in business schools) took over than they could indeed regress to earlier levels.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:01 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
southernnewbie wrote:From talking to people who went to law school years/decades ago, it's clear that schools didn't usually give out large scholarships until the recession and consequent huge slump in applications in the last 10 years or so made scholarships necessary to entice students. They often seem shocked that it's possible to get a full scholarship to law school now if you just have good enough grades and LSAT scores.

Not in the short term. If anything they will keep rising. In the mid or long term it is possible if a second ranking system or even more diffuse rankings (like in business schools) took over than they could indeed regress to earlier levels.
Why do you think they'll keep rising, especially with this cycle's increase in apps? I've been worried about this whole drying up of scholarships thing as well because I feel like I've gotten lowballed at some schools based on MyLSN (though others have been very generous also, so it doesn't seem to be a trend everywhere).

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:20 pm

A lot of myLSN numbers are post-negotiation

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:23 pm

38981928 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Why do you think they'll keep rising, especially with this cycle's increase in apps? I've been worried about this whole drying up of scholarships thing as well because I feel like I've gotten lowballed at some schools based on MyLSN (though others have been very generous also, so it doesn't seem to be a trend everywhere).
There are many reasons but higher apps could mean higher enrollment meaning more revenue and more of what others have thus been alluding to, i.e. buy strong matrics offset with the others. Strong economy likely means many would be willing to pay increased tuition. I could go on and on.
Last edited by ms9 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:49 am

Without seeing data to back it up, I would not assume that scholarships have increased relative to a decade ago. Hence, I have no reason to believe that scholarships will start drying up if demand for law school increases.

Since most scholarships are funded from revenue, I would not expect a decline in scholarships if demand/tuition increases. Competition for certain lsat scores among schools is not static and should change relative to more applicants with better numbers.

ETA: what Mikespivey says.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:55 am

38981928 wrote:Why do you think they'll keep rising, especially with this cycle's increase in apps? I've been worried about this whole drying up of scholarships thing as well because I feel like I've gotten lowballed at some schools based on MyLSN (though others have been very generous also, so it doesn't seem to be a trend everywhere).
You can't extrapolate trends from one person's cycle not meeting their expectations.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:48 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
38981928 wrote:Why do you think they'll keep rising, especially with this cycle's increase in apps? I've been worried about this whole drying up of scholarships thing as well because I feel like I've gotten lowballed at some schools based on MyLSN (though others have been very generous also, so it doesn't seem to be a trend everywhere).
You can't extrapolate trends from one person's cycle not meeting their expectations.
Definitely! And I know negotiations are a big part of getting scholarships too and many people get significantly more after a bit of negotiating. I guess I just wanted to manage my expectations when that time comes because the news of the increased apps and increase in 170+ people have made me a little nervous.

GoTigers10

New

Post by GoTigers10 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:15 pm

When do students typically get scholarship offers? Do schools offer scholarships when they send acceptance emails/notifications or do they come in later like in your acceptance package?

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:43 pm

GoTigers10 wrote:When do students typically get scholarship offers? Do schools offer scholarships when they send acceptance emails/notifications or do they come in later like in your acceptance package?
Entirely depends on the school. I've gotten full rides with acceptances (from my safety schools) and others that I have to apply for after February or have interviews for.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:38 am

38981928 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Definitely! And I know negotiations are a big part of getting scholarships too and many people get significantly more after a bit of negotiating. I guess I just wanted to manage my expectations when that time comes because the news of the increased apps and increase in 170+ people have made me a little nervous.
I understand your angst, however, I respectfully ask: what do meta-trends have to do with you specifically? Whether you are nervous or not, it changes nothing. Develop a strategy for getting schools to re-evaluate your financial aid. Be smart. Put your best foot forward and work it. I have seen some people have great scholarship success, including negotiating after intial offers. Control what you can, which is your end. Stop worrying about conjecture on how much money is out there. Whilst you spend time here pondering how much aid is available - which is both futile and entirely unproductive - more money is given away to people doing what you should be, given your concerns. Best of luck, go get that discount on tuition (not money, because they arent giving you that.... they are giving you a discount...).

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:01 am

NukinFutz wrote:I understand your angst, however, I respectfully ask: what do meta-trends have to do with you specifically? Whether you are nervous or not, it changes nothing. Develop a strategy for getting schools to re-evaluate your financial aid. Be smart. Put your best foot forward and work it. I have seen some people have great scholarship success, including negotiating after intial offers. Control what you can, which is your end. Stop worrying about conjecture on how much money is out there. Whilst you spend time here pondering how much aid is available - which is both futile and entirely unproductive - more money is given away to people doing what you should be, given your concerns. Best of luck, go get that discount on tuition (not money, because they arent giving you that.... they are giving you a discount...).
Thank you! At least for me, it's easy to get trapped in the rabbit hole of panic and stress that is TLS sometimes! I had posted my reply a few weeks ago and since then have gotten some amazing full tuition scholarships in the T14 (and one with a stipend!) so I really shouldn't have been so stressed. I'm still going to negotiate where needed but my worrying was definitely premature and unwarranted!

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:14 am

38981928 wrote:
NukinFutz wrote:I understand your angst, however, I respectfully ask: what do meta-trends have to do with you specifically? Whether you are nervous or not, it changes nothing. Develop a strategy for getting schools to re-evaluate your financial aid. Be smart. Put your best foot forward and work it. I have seen some people have great scholarship success, including negotiating after intial offers. Control what you can, which is your end. Stop worrying about conjecture on how much money is out there. Whilst you spend time here pondering how much aid is available - which is both futile and entirely unproductive - more money is given away to people doing what you should be, given your concerns. Best of luck, go get that discount on tuition (not money, because they arent giving you that.... they are giving you a discount...).
Thank you! At least for me, it's easy to get trapped in the rabbit hole of panic and stress that is TLS sometimes! I had posted my reply a few weeks ago and since then have gotten some amazing full tuition scholarships in the T14 (and one with a stipend!) so I really shouldn't have been so stressed. I'm still going to negotiate where needed but my worrying was definitely premature and unwarranted!
This is great to hear! Congratulations! Very happy it is all working out for you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”