Double-pronged LOCI or stick to addressing one error?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cashinapig

New

Double-pronged LOCI or stick to addressing one error?

Postby cashinapig » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:47 am

I made two mistakes in my Columbia ED application:

1. I realize now that my GPA addendum implies that I'm unable to handle a top school (it mostly hones in on my struggle, rather than consequent success). After the edits it went through for regular decision apps, I know this is the wrong version to have sent.

2. I may not have adequately addressed the gap in full-time employment in my resume starting from early 2017 to present; however, I did include a part-time position that fills that time.
CLS is my absolute first choice, and considering my GPA/LSAT is not appealing, I was lucky to get deferred -- my PS and LORs got me here. I'm going to send an email to the adcom, but I'm torn on the approach:

Option 1: UPDATE: My updated GPA addendum focuses on how I successfully moved past it and kicked ass -- it is MUCH stronger than the version I sent to CLS and if they saw this version I think they'd recognize my potential. This is a 1-paragraph statement plus the introductory bit (thank you for your time, I <3 CLS, etc.)

Option 2: LOCI: I've spent the majority of 2017 preparing to conduct independent research in another country. I wanted to do this before going to law school, so I did -- it just took me some time to get off the ground because I did it on my own without an institution or grant program sponsoring me. I moved after submitting my apps, so I wasn't positive at the time that it would happen. I don't want to give too much information here, but it's an unorthodox venture that explains what I've been doing with my time and shows my ability to turn my enthusiasm into results. This would be a 1-page statement, can't be made much shorter without cutting answers to inevitable questions (why are you doing this? why did it take so long? what have you been doing? what are you doing there?).

My gut is go with Option 2, but I'm worried about my shitty GPA addendum. Would really appreciate perspective and feedback on the approaches above. I played around with the idea of doing both (i.e. LOCI in email, see addendum attached), but I don't want to come off as though I'm desperately overcompensating, given that Option 2 will be longer than most LOCIs.

Thanks in advance!

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Double-pronged LOCI or stick to addressing one error?

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:45 pm

So before getting into your questions, you dodged a bullet by not getting in ED. This isn't undergrad. There are multiple schools that do what Columbia does, and you should be focusing on job outcomes and prospective debt.

1. What, exactly, is your GPA addendum about? It doesn't sound like you're talking about a medical condition or family issues, so you might just want to leave it alone.

2. This sounds like it should have been an addendum you included up front, but it's definitely the better option for a LOCI.

What, exactly, is your LSAT/GPA at the moment?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�