LSAT prep advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bobuster

New

LSAT prep advice

Post by Bobuster » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:39 pm

Just wondering if anyone has any useful advice about prepping for the September LSAT. I've read the Bible series and the LSAT trainer so far but I still sorta suck at logic games. Decided to take a Kaplan self-study course before seeing that Kaplan isn't very helpful for a lot of people. Anyway, I scored a 164 on the video-proctored 5 section diagnostic that comes with the course and I would love to improve by 4-6 points by September. Any tips or tricks? Should I get what I can out of Kaplan but stick to other resources for the most part? Or just go all in with Kaplan?

guynourmin

Gold

Re: LSAT prep advice

Post by guynourmin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:47 pm

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:48 pm

What are you scoring on each section?

Bobuster

New

Post by Bobuster » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:54 pm

guybourdin wrote:What are you scoring on each section?
Got 22/27 for RC, 22/26 and 20/25 for LR, and 16/23 for LG. Sorry if the format is off, new to the forum.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:21 pm

Bobuster wrote:
Got 22/27 for RC, 22/26 and 20/25 for LR, and 16/23 for LG. Sorry if the format is off, new to the forum.
Have you only taken one practice test?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bobuster

New

Post by Bobuster » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:30 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Bobuster wrote:
I've taken a lot of full sections and maybe two full games but this is the first one that I've taken with an experimental section.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:51 pm

Bobuster wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Bobuster wrote:
I've taken a lot of full sections and maybe two full games but this is the first one that I've taken with an experimental section.
How many times have you sat down and did 4 straight sections, timed, uninterrupted, and then later that day or the following day blind reviewed anything you were not 100% sure about on your first pass?

Bobuster

New

Post by Bobuster » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:03 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Bobuster wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Bobuster wrote:
How many times have you sat down and did 4 straight sections, timed, uninterrupted, and then later that day or the following day blind reviewed anything you were not 100% sure about on your first pass?
Twice so far.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Bobuster wrote:
guybourdin wrote: How many times have you sat down and did 4 straight sections, timed, uninterrupted, and then later that day or the following day blind reviewed anything you were not 100% sure about on your first pass?
Twice so far.
I haven't perused a ton of the LSAT threads here, but it seems like your best best is to focus on taking practice tests. I don't think it is controversial to say that you should do at least 20 full, timed PTs before the real thing. I think I did around 40, maybe more. As guybourdin mentioned, blind review any questions you were not 100% on. The blind review piece is key.

As far as Kaplan, I don't know enough about that system to comment. I suppose it can't hurt to get another perspective, unless it includes advice that is just bad. However, any program that doesn't include doing a ton of PTs is not going to be super helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Bobuster wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Bobuster wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Bobuster wrote:
Twice so far.
Great. That means you have tons of room to work and the increase you want should be available and then some if you're willing to work for it. My advice would be go read through the LSAT forum I linked earlier and try out different strategies, see what you like, what works, etc.

That said, if you just want to run with one person's advice, here's mine:

You're leaving a lot of LG points on the table. Drill the hell out of games and watch 7sage explanations even for games you get perfect. If timing is fucking with you, add 5 minutes. Whatever. That's fine for the next month.

Do a ton of full length PTs in as similar of conditions as you can (morning, quiet, uninterrupted, strictly timed, etc). Like, 30, 40, 50+. BLIND REVIEW BLIND REVIEW BLIND REVIEW. For BR tips search the LSAT forum I linked. This is so important.

Don't drill or worry about RC. Yes,there is room for improvement, but for most people RC is harder to improve on than LG and there are twice as many LR questions than RC, and your RC score is okay. Do RC in your full lengths, obviously, and BR it, obviously, but if you can maintain a -4, -5, -6 on RC and improve in your other areas you'll hit your target easily. Only turn to working on RC specifically once you're happy with your LG and LR results. You may never get to working on RC again but simply maintaining your current RC scores is perfectly fine. If your RC average starts failing, revisit this strategy. This is only applicable if your RC score is fine for your goals, which right now it is.

Bobuster

New

Post by Bobuster » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:37 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Bobuster wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Bobuster wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Bobuster wrote:
Twice so far.
Great. That means you have tons of room to work and the increase you want should be available and then some if you're willing to work for it. My advice would be go read through the LSAT forum I linked earlier and try out different strategies, see what you like, what works, etc.

That said, if you just want to run with one person's advice, here's mine:

You're leaving a lot of LG points on the table. Drill the hell out of games and watch 7sage explanations even for games you get perfect. If timing is fucking with you, add 5 minutes. Whatever. That's fine for the next month.

Do a ton of full length PTs in as similar of conditions as you can (morning, quiet, uninterrupted, strictly timed, etc). Like, 30, 40, 50+. BLIND REVIEW BLIND REVIEW BLIND REVIEW. For BR tips search the LSAT forum I linked. This is so important.

Don't drill or worry about RC. Yes,there is room for improvement, but for most people RC is harder to improve on than LG and there are twice as many LR questions than RC, and your RC score is okay. Do RC in your full lengths, obviously, and BR it, obviously, but if you can maintain a -4, -5, -6 on RC and improve in your other areas you'll hit your target easily. Only turn to working on RC specifically once you're happy with your LG and LR results. You may never get to working on RC again but simply maintaining your current RC scores is perfectly fine. If your RC average starts failing, revisit this strategy. This is only applicable if your RC score is fine for your goals, which right now it is.
I'll definitely check out the forum you linked and blind review absolutely everything from now on. Thanks for the advice!

Bobuster

New

Post by Bobuster » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:38 pm

cbbinnyc wrote:
Bobuster wrote:
guybourdin wrote: How many times have you sat down and did 4 straight sections, timed, uninterrupted, and then later that day or the following day blind reviewed anything you were not 100% sure about on your first pass?
Twice so far.
I haven't perused a ton of the LSAT threads here, but it seems like your best best is to focus on taking practice tests. I don't think it is controversial to say that you should do at least 20 full, timed PTs before the real thing. I think I did around 40, maybe more. As guybourdin mentioned, blind review any questions you were not 100% on. The blind review piece is key.

As far as Kaplan, I don't know enough about that system to comment. I suppose it can't hurt to get another perspective, unless it includes advice that is just bad. However, any program that doesn't include doing a ton of PTs is not going to be super helpful.
I'll definitely pick up the number of full, timed PTs that I'm doing and blind review all questions. Thanks for the advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”