Keep Telling People to Retake Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zot1

Gold

Keep Telling People to Retake

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:59 am

As this might be a beneficial step for some applicants.

Unemployment isn't fun. Debt isn't fun. Getting locked into a career for 20 years to pay loans back isn't fun. Waiting for the day the government will take repayment programs away isn't fun. Making less money than you did before getting into debt for law school isn't fun. Reviewing papers for typos isn't fun.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Re: Keep Telling People to Retake

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:03 pm

The thread TLS needs right now...

albinododobird

Bronze

Post by albinododobird » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:28 pm

Maybe also tell people not to go to law school, while we're at it.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:32 pm

zot1 wrote:As this might be a beneficial step for some applicants.

Unemployment isn't fun. Debt isn't fun. Getting locked into a career for 20 years to pay loans back isn't fun. Waiting for the day the government will take repayment programs away isn't fun. Making less money than you did before getting into debt for law school isn't fun. Reviewing papers for typos isn't fun.
I just got my pay raise + bonus today and let me tell you that this is what I'm most scared of. The average for the field I want to go in is about 30k less than I make now.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:16 pm

albinododobird wrote:Maybe also tell people not to go to law school, while we're at it.
Law school is a great option for some people.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:32 pm

Even people at the top struggle. Imagine being at the bottom... with tons of debt.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9#p9858279

mtf612

Bronze

Post by mtf612 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:38 pm

zot1 wrote:
albinododobird wrote:Maybe also tell people not to go to law school, while we're at it.
Certainly. however, some people will be making the worst decision of their life by attending law school. I have a friend at work who has been studying for the LSAT for nearly one year. They are a very genuine person and I like them, but I just think law school is a terrible choice for them. After a year of studying, including different classes, books, and a tutor, they are failing to break into the mid 140s. Coupled with their sub 3.0 GPA, this person will only have extremely risky law school options. I've tried counseling them to consider alternative paths, but their family/culture is forcing them down the law school path.

It hurts to see this person likely hanging themselves with debt for a career that will likely never pan out.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:49 pm

mtf612 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Certainly. however, some people will be making the worst decision of their life by attending law school. I have a friend at work who has been studying for the LSAT for nearly one year. They are a very genuine person and I like them, but I just think law school is a terrible choice for them. After a year of studying, including different classes, books, and a tutor, they are failing to break into the mid 140s. Coupled with their sub 3.0 GPA, this person will only have extremely risky law school options. I've tried counseling them to consider alternative paths, but their family/culture is forcing them down the law school path.

It hurts to see this person likely hanging themselves with debt for a career that will likely never pan out.
That's fine. But I can't just tell people "don't go to law school," when it's a good choice for some. Some. Some. Some. Some.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:50 pm

But also: the skills you learn for the lsat are not the same for law school. Also, success in law school =/= success in practice. So yeah I'm not sure where you're going with that.

mtf612

Bronze

Post by mtf612 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:51 pm

zot1 wrote:
mtf612 wrote:
zot1 wrote:

That's fine. But I can't just tell people "don't go to law school," when it's a good choice for some. Some. Some. Some. Some.
Some! I totally agree. I am more venting about my friend because I have no idea what else I can say other than "may the odds be ever in your favor."

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:01 pm

LOL @ that one movie where the smart kid from southie works as a janitor at that one law school, one day as he's sullenly trudging through the halls, mopping up, he notices an impossible argument written on the chalkboard. he drops his well-oiled pine mop handle and jots down constitutional reference after constitutional reference, pulling abstracts from 17 different relevant cases. the next day the class is full and everyone wonders....

ok the moral of that story is, the janitor didn't retake ok. he took his 145 to Umass, graduated and couldn't find a job. He only got that janitor's position because of an old friend who was an alum. If you need motivation or are wondering if you should retake, go watch that movie.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:12 am

good thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:34 am

Goodwill Hunting is a really solid film.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:41 am

Capt_Beatty wrote:LOL @ that one movie where the smart kid from southie works as a janitor at that one law school, one day as he's sullenly trudging through the halls, mopping up, he notices an impossible argument written on the chalkboard. he drops his well-oiled pine mop handle and jots down constitutional reference after constitutional reference, pulling abstracts from 17 different relevant cases. the next day the class is full and everyone wonders....

ok the moral of that story is, the janitor didn't retake ok. he took his 145 to Umass, graduated and couldn't find a job. He only got that janitor's position because of an old friend who was an alum. If you need motivation or are wondering if you should retake, go watch that movie.
It would have been way less impressive if he had been solving legal problems.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:10 am

Hikikomorist wrote:
Capt_Beatty wrote:LOL @ that one movie where the smart kid from southie works as a janitor at that one law school, one day as he's sullenly trudging through the halls, mopping up, he notices an impossible argument written on the chalkboard. he drops his well-oiled pine mop handle and jots down constitutional reference after constitutional reference, pulling abstracts from 17 different relevant cases. the next day the class is full and everyone wonders....

It would have been way less impressive if he had been solving legal problems.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”