gpa and re-apply question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
O.J.

Bronze

gpa and re-apply question

Post by O.J. » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:33 am

Hey guys,

I'm a junior, graduating June 2017. I'm trying to figure out some math here in regards to a gap year and could use your help. If I don't take a gap year and take my LSAT this October, it's my understanding LSAC will take my grades through this coming Fall (up to end of junior year), correct? That would put me at a 3.4 or so. However, my senior year, starting next Fall through June 2017 is all elective, easy ass classes. So I could bring my gpa up to 3.7. But that would require a gap year which it turns out I can not afford to do.

My question is, let's say I don't take a gap year and turn in my 3.4 but don't get the schools I want. Can I then reapply again the following year? Will LSAC recalculate my grades at that point adding in my senior grades? Or is the 3.4 firm? I hope this makes sense. Basically, I want to go for it this Fall, but want to be able to try again next year with a higher gpa if I don't get what I want on the first run.

I will take the LSAT this October and December if not happy with October. I'll reserve the third tray for the following year if I'm not happy with my offers.

Thoughts?

sjp200

Bronze

Re: gpa and re-apply question

Post by sjp200 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:59 am

Your transcript will need to be updated with the latest grades any time you plan on sending applications when there is an update available (IE, waiting a year will require that your transcripts reflect one more year of your grades). Applications sent in January will most likely require the Fall semester's grades as well.

My real question is how you plan on bringing a 3.4 with 3 years of grades to a 3.7 in 1, seems like a stretch unless you have A+'s at your institution and you plan on getting those exclusively over the last year.

O.J.

Bronze

Re: gpa and re-apply question

Post by O.J. » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:11 am

Good to know, thanks. Yeah, my university has A+'s and it's a slight reach, but I've planned for summer courses and all 4 quarters, maxed with easier electives. I think I can do it. Nothing for sure, but I can get pretty close to that score, if my math added up right. ;)

Oh, and why did you mention January applications, isn't that way too late? I thought it was best to get applications out in November by Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”