Applicant FAQ Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justadude55

Silver

Re: 2011 Applicants FAQ and Questions thread

Post by justadude55 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm

QUESTION ON CRS $12 FEE:

Just making sure, there is no way to avoid it. Even if you print and mail your app to the school, you get charged. Even if you have a fee waiver from a school, you still have to pay the $12 FEE. No ifs ands or buts right?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:10 pm

justadude55 wrote:QUESTION ON CRS $12 FEE:

Just making sure, there is no way to avoid it. Even if you print and mail your app to the school, you get charged. Even if you have a fee waiver from a school, you still have to pay the $12 FEE. No ifs ands or buts right?
No way that I know of.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:25 pm

It's $12, don't bitch.

No way around it.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:28 pm

CastleRock wrote:

It's $12, don't bitch.

No way around it.
adds up if u have 20-30 apps.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:33 pm

justadude55 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

It's $12, don't bitch.

No way around it.
adds up if u have 20-30 apps.
Fair enough. 20-30 apps seems a bit overboard, but I guess if you're a splitter. It's still not that much in comparison to the application fees.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:45 pm

most are fee waivers, but obviously a fee waiver is no longer a good deal unless you have some interest in attending.

i am a bit of a splitter, but i'm more of a unique case for personal achievement and also acting like an idiot. not saying i'm special, because i'm just a dude but my gist on here is that certain schools will look at me just based on their #'s, certain schools will favor me based on the achievements with similarly numbered applicants and certain schools will reject me because of my mistakes.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:05 pm

justadude55 wrote:most are fee waivers, but obviously a fee waiver is no longer a good deal unless you have some interest in attending.

i am a bit of a splitter, but i'm more of a unique case for personal achievement and also acting like an idiot. not saying i'm special, because i'm just a dude but my gist on here is that certain schools will look at me just based on their #'s, certain schools will favor me based on the achievements with similarly numbered applicants and certain schools will reject me because of my mistakes.
Good point, I'm sure you are the only applicant this cycle who has achieved goals while making mistakes on the way.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:09 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
justadude55 wrote:most are fee waivers, but obviously a fee waiver is no longer a good deal unless you have some interest in attending.

Good point, I'm sure you are the only applicant this cycle who has achieved goals while making mistakes on the way.
hahaha fair point. my mistakes were pretty significant, however.

KylieMorrison

New

Post by KylieMorrison » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:38 pm

One of the schools I am applying to gives the option of writing an additional essay to be considered for an academic scholarship. The requirements for the essay say to describe any personal accomplishments, experiences, or aspects of your background that you believe will contribute a diverse perspective to the educational environment. While I’m not ethnically diverse, I feel as though my job gives me a unique perspective. Could this essay hurt my application at all? I have written a rough draft and I know it will need a lot of work before it is above average but I would rather be spending that time perfecting my personal statement. So would it be better to submit something that might be average or submit nothing at all? I just wouldn’t want it to hurt me in anyway. Thanks.
Last edited by KylieMorrison on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:40 pm

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Ok, I can't post a new topic thread for some reason. So, I'm hoping someone can answer my question here. I have had three traffic tickets. Somehow, one of them has miraculously disappeared. The DMV in the state in which I received the ticket has no record of it and the DMV for the state where I have my license doesn't list it on my record either. I know I got the ticket. I don't really remember the specifics of it other than it was speeding and I paid near $200. Should I just list it anyway, since I know I received it, even though it technically doesn't exist (maybe stating the fact that it is not actually in my DMV records)?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:00 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Ok, I can't post a new topic thread for some reason. So, I'm hoping someone can answer my question here. I have had three traffic tickets. Somehow, one of them has miraculously disappeared. The DMV in the state in which I received the ticket has no record of it and the DMV for the state where I have my license doesn't list it on my record either. I know I got the ticket. I don't really remember the specifics of it other than it was speeding and I paid near $200. Should I just list it anyway, since I know I received it, even though it technically doesn't exist (maybe stating the fact that it is not actually in my DMV records)?
If they ask for traffic violations, yes.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:47 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Ok, I can't post a new topic thread for some reason. So, I'm hoping someone can answer my question here. I have had three traffic tickets. Somehow, one of them has miraculously disappeared. The DMV in the state in which I received the ticket has no record of it and the DMV for the state where I have my license doesn't list it on my record either. I know I got the ticket. I don't really remember the specifics of it other than it was speeding and I paid near $200. Should I just list it anyway, since I know I received it, even though it technically doesn't exist (maybe stating the fact that it is not actually in my DMV records)?
They're traffic tickets, nobody cares about them, don't make a mountain out of an anthill by failing to disclose.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Ildeuce wrote:They're traffic tickets, nobody cares about them, don't make a mountain out of an anthill by failing to disclose.
As bk points out though, not all schools care. Many schools specifically state not to include minor traffick violations & parking tickets.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:01 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:They're traffic tickets, nobody cares about them, don't make a mountain out of an anthill by failing to disclose.
As bk points out though, not all schools care. Many schools specifically state not to include minor traffick violations & parking tickets.
True, in my apps. I think I've only had 2 schools ask for them. They're nbd.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:56 pm

I worked as an under-the-table bus boy at a restaurant for a spell during my senior year of UG.
I gather they want to track all your significant jobs since HS, but I'm worried that it'll come up during C&F:
"Why is this not reflected on your tax returns?"
"...'Cause I din't pay no stinkin' taxes!"

I'm assuming I gotta leave it out?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:06 pm

Don't Think This Has Been Asked:

Which schools are notoriously good with scholarships to get good #'s. Looking at safeties, and i'd prefer if my safeties would come with scholarships. I know that a lot of times the conventional wisdom that a lower ranked school will give more $ isn't always true.

On another topic:

Who is better for firm placement in Miami -- Miami, U of Florida or another southern law school?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:18 pm

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:33 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:I worked as an under-the-table bus boy at a restaurant for a spell during my senior year of UG.
I gather they want to track all your significant jobs since HS, but I'm worried that it'll come up during C&F:

Sorry to quote myself, but a question posted after this was answered & I'd rather it not get lost.

Next Q:
I worked as a lifeguard freshman year in UG. I have no records except old e-mails which don't include what month I stopped.
If I guess what month I stopped, could that come back to haunt me during C&F if I accidentally exaggerated by a month or two?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:07 am

CGI Fridays wrote:
CGI Fridays wrote:I worked as an under-the-table bus boy at a restaurant for a spell during my senior year of UG.

Sorry to quote myself, but a question posted after this was answered & I'd rather it not get lost.

Next Q:
I worked as a lifeguard freshman year in UG. I have no records except old e-mails which don't include what month I stopped.
If I guess what month I stopped, could that come back to haunt me during C&F if I accidentally exaggerated by a month or two?
i dont think exaggerating your life guard career by a year or two is what the bar is really trying to weed out.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:16 am

justadude55 wrote:i dont think exaggerating your life guard career by a year or two is what the bar is really trying to weed out.
Thanks, but I'd prefer to wait for an answer from someone who appears to have a grounding for their answer.
I have a feeling that lying about two full years of WE is not a great idea.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lshamlet

Bronze

Post by lshamlet » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:14 am

AHH!!! I applied to two schools without manually assigning the Letters of Reccomendation! I payed and everything, and then I realized that I hadn't assigned them and quickly did it.

Am I screwed??

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:16 am

CGI Fridays wrote:
justadude55 wrote:i dont think exaggerating your life guard career by a year or two is what the bar is really trying to weed out.
Thanks, but I'd prefer to wait for an answer from someone who appears to have a grounding for their answer.
I have a feeling that lying about two full years of WE is not a great idea.
Lying about two full years is bad. Accidentally guessing the wrong month is fine. They understand that some of the time the months are just estimates. If I'm wrong anyone can feel free to correct me :)
lshamlet wrote:AHH!!! I applied to two schools without manually assigning the Letters of Reccomendation! I payed and everything, and then I realized that I hadn't assigned them and quickly did it.

Am I screwed??
No.

pintobeanx1

New

Post by pintobeanx1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:36 pm

How do I find my LSDAS GPA?

Is this what I should put in a letter requesting a fee waiver, or is my regular GPA sufficient?

7StringIbanez

New

Post by 7StringIbanez » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:37 pm

I have a question about transcript requests, since LSAC's information didn't exactly make this clear. I know that I need to request the transcript from my degree-granting institution, and have done so already. However, I took a summer class through a different institution (local community college) and had the credit successfully transferred to my degree-granting institution. Even though this credit appears on the transcript from my degree-granting institution, do I still need to request a transcript from the community college where I originally took the summer class?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”