Which plan is better? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
liberty

New

Which plan is better?

Post by liberty » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:24 pm

1. Go to a local state university. Get a good GPA and distinguish yourself from your mediocre peers....GPA is 3.8

2. Go to a high ranked university and be "average" among all the other high achievers.... GPA is 3.5

Debt is not in the equation. Which would you choose and why?

taytay

New

Re: Which plan is better?

Post by taytay » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:27 pm

i would go wherever had the nicest weather

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:27 pm

liberty wrote:1. Go to a local state university. Get a good GPA and distinguish yourself from your mediocre peers....GPA is 3.8

2. Go to a high ranked university and be "average" among all the other high achievers.... GPA is 3.5

:?:

Just get the highest GPA you can wherever you end up. Search around the sight. It's a numbers game and there are plenty of threads that deal with this subject. GPA vs. Quality of Institution.

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:29 pm

3.8 and it's not even a question. But get higher than a 3.8, don't be an idiot.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:32 pm

liberty wrote:1. Go to a local state university. Get a good GPA and distinguish yourself from your mediocre peers....GPA is 3.8

Assuming that getting a 3.8 is as easy as 3.5 at a higher ranked university is a mistake. A lot of state universities are tough and capricious in grading. On the other hand many top private schools give out A's like Joan gives out anal sex.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Assuming that getting a 3.8 is as easy as 3.5 at a higher ranked university is a mistake. A lot of state universities are tough and capricious in grading. On the other hand many top private schools give out A's like Joan gives out anal sex.
:roll:

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I thought grade inflation would give you only a B-, while you'd actually have to fight tooth and nail for an A.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:35 pm

3. Go to a high ranked university, get a good GPA and distinguish yourself from your mediocre peers.

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

3. Go to a high ranked university, get a good GPA and distinguish yourself from your mediocre peers.
+5000000

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:37 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:38 pm

liberty wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I thought grade inflation would give you only a B-, while you'd actually have to fight tooth and nail for an A.
I think you have to call your professor the n word to actually get a B- at most of the Ivy League.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:40 pm

Option C- Go to Devry, get a 4.0. Study your butt off and get a high LSAT score. Then go to whatever LS you want.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:42 pm

maggiebre wrote:Like the above poster said, grade inflation is often (though not always) worse at higher ranked universities. And larger state schools have more TAs, which can often mean harsher grading (at least in my experience). Just something to think about.
This really depends on the state school in question and the top school in question. If its a TTT state school and Princeton then Princeton will be considerably harder to get the 3.5 than the 3.8 at the TTT.

But if we are talking about Northwestern vs George Tech, I wouldn't make that gamble.

There are enough students at the state school who are as smart or smarter than the average student at the private school to make 3.8 difficult. Especially since 3.8 is very near the top of the class at a state school. While 3.5 at a top private is around median.

Liberal arts are not hard, and a raw intelligence isn't as big as a factor as effort. A kid who couldn't crack 1200 on teh SAT can pwn you if he reads more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:43 pm

TTTennis wrote:Option C- Go to Devry, get a 4.0. Study your butt off and get a high LSAT score. Then go to whatever LS you want.
I wouldn't risk Devry. It's so bad it might get you dinged. Also it is expensive.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:44 pm

TTTennis wrote:Option C- Go to Devry, get a 4.0. Study your butt off and get a high LSAT score. Then go to whatever LS you want.
Fuck college. The world needs ditch diggers and general contractors now more than ever. Get yourself a set of tools and go out and be someone.

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:45 pm

Do EC's matter? Or should I just aim for high GPA/LSAT only?

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:46 pm

liberty wrote:Do EC's matter? Or should I just aim for high GPA/LSAT only?
1. Get beer
2. Get laid
3. Concentrate on the rest.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:47 pm

liberty wrote:Do EC's matter? Or should I just aim for high GPA/LSAT only?
They almost don't matter, but you'll need to write a personal statement about something. Get involved in clubs for fun not for law school.

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Do you think I should go to school in Somalia (family relations there) or the state university? I think going there would give me a good personal statement on dodging bullets to get to school?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:52 pm

liberty wrote:Do you think I should go to school in Somalia (family relations there) or the state university? I think going there would give me a good personal statement on dodging bullets to get to school?

145 on this flame attempt.

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
liberty wrote:Do you think I should go to school in Somalia (family relations there) or the state university? I think going there would give me a good personal statement on dodging bullets to get to school?

That really wasn't a flame attempt.

--ImageRemoved--

The facilities/faculty may be lacking, but wouldn't it make a great diversity/personal statement....and after looking at the Yale student profiles no one there speaks Somali or has lived/worked in Somalia

edit: opps page breaker pic removed
Last edited by liberty on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

AW come on Rommel..... you fell into it deep after your initial response. Almost like you developed a conscious or something. :lol:

And please PM me Joan's contact info when you get a chance!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:56 pm

liberty wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

The facilities/faculty may be lacking, but wouldn't it make a great diversity/personal statement....and after looking at the Yale student profiles no one there speaks Somali or has lived/worked in Somalia

Just make sure you take 1 community college course and get an A+ in it so your LSAC GPA is 4.33.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:57 pm

You need to stop thinking about what is going to get you into a good law school. As in... stop right now.

You're not even in college, why are you wasting so much time thinking about law school? If you want to go to school in Somalia... go to school in Somalia. If you want to go there so that you can have a good personal statement, then don't go.

Take some time to enjoy life. Go to the school that is the best fit. Do extra curricular activities that interest you. Your sole purpose should not be to tailor your whole life into getting into a top law school.

This is either an elaborate flame or one of the most misguided individuals to post on these boards...

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
liberty wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Just make sure you take 1 community college course and get an A+ in it so your LSAC GPA is 4.33.
Wait does that actually work? I was wondering how ppl on LSN had GPA's above 4.0....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”