Working in the UK w/ JD Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alirod12

Bronze

Working in the UK w/ JD

Post by alirod12 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:53 am

What's the deal with getting a JD and then trying to work in the U.K.? Is that an option, and if so, is it a realistic one? What are the necessary hoops to jump through?

ashleigh

New

Re: Working in the UK w/ JD

Post by ashleigh » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:10 am

this is of interest to me too...
Last edited by ashleigh on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:37 am

On their websites, I've seen a few associates/partners who have graduated from U.S. law schools working for the London office of some of the BigLaw firms. However, I don't know how common this is, but it definitely can be done. It might be worth reading their firm bios to see how they did it.

alirod12

Bronze

Post by alirod12 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:34 pm

Bump

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:41 pm

Springsteen wrote:On their websites, I've seen a few associates/partners who have graduated from U.S. law schools working for the London office of some of the BigLaw firms. However, I don't know how common this is, but it definitely can be done. It might be worth reading their firm bios to see how they did it.
+1. It is possible, but uncommon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:44 am

A number of magic circle and larger UK firms have US transaction teams to assist on large multi-national M&A, IPO and capital market deals, among others. Usually they function as sub-units within practice areas, with US associates reporting to US partners. In my experience, the cultural differences between the US and the UK were preserved: the US lawyers worked harder and were less social with their colleagues. That said, they made much, much more. There are also a few elite US firms that have offices in the UK to handle the UK side of their work, but again, US lawyers are only necessary insofar as there's a US (usually New York) component to the deal. For the most part, the associates usually had 2-3 years of experience before moving from the US to the UK.

Bobby Dazzler

New

Post by Bobby Dazzler » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:46 am

The alumnae from Vandy who interviewed me was currently working at a firm in London. IIRC she got the gig after doing a clerkship with a judge over there, so it's definitely doable but seems to require a lot of extra work and/or luck.

Also my friend's dad is the general counsel for an American company but goes to London on business for at least a week out of every month, so there's that route as well.

Really though if you're dead set on working in the U.K. you might be better off just getting your law degree there...

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:55 pm

I am also interested in this. Does anyone have anymore insight or information - specific programs, any U.S. gov jobs that are based in the U.K., etc.? I will attend a T-10 but am very interested in living/working in the U.K. after graduation.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:37 pm

In the boom days before our current depression, it wasn't that hard. There was a lot of trans-atlantic financial/ M&A work, and a lot of big firms work on both sides of the ocean. Now, there's pretty much no such work, so it's hard to say. If you really want to work in the UK, the best route would be through the transactional division of an NY Biglaw firm that has a London office.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”