How open should I be in the personal statement? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

How open should I be in the personal statement?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:37 pm

I'm starting to outline my personal statement topics, but I wanted to know if there are any topics I should refrain from. I interned in a big civil law firm last summer, and I worked on cases with people who had been permanently scarred by defective products. I was also introduced to a lawyer who used civil law to litigate against institutions/the state for child abuse. Only a few months before I started there, I had begun treatment for PTSD (stemming from childhood abuse), so being able to see the impact that civil law could have on ensuring restitution/closure for victims of trauma convinced me that field is where I belong. My ideal statement would describe the process of dealing with the trauma/PTSD that summer, and how my work in the law firm helped me come to terms with it and realize that I want to use that passion to help others overcome and prevent the pain that I've been through. Is this too personal or risky? Does it gloss over my other activities or make it sound like a sob story?

cavalier1138

Re: How open should I be in the personal statement?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:35 am

That's a fine topic; don't be afraid to get personal in your personal statement.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”