PS Topic Selection Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze

PS Topic Selection

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:04 pm

Stats: 3.4/177
Pertinent Information: MA in Teaching; 1 year of teaching experience & 2 years of college admissions counseling experience in Guangzhou, China

I am deciding between the following personal statement topics:

1. Facing discrimination as a bisexual male. My twist? I have faced more discrimination from within the LGBTQ+ Community than from without. Many people within the community see me as a traitor if I "choose" to date a woman in lieu of a man. I am considering writing my personal statement about a specific memorable instance of this type of discrimination.

2. Helping a student overcome her numbers to get into a top undergraduate institution. Her teachers and in-school counselors told her she'd never make it to a T30 as an international applicant with her GPA and SAT (too low by international standards), but I was adamant about setting high expectations. I helped her emphasize her unique attributes throughout her application, and she ultimately got into UC Berkeley and UCLA after being rejected by Dartmouth, WashU, UVA, and a few others. This will also double as a subtle reminder that students are more than their numbers.

3. I can write about topic 2 and use topic 1 for a diversity statement.

Lawman1865

Bronze

Re: PS Topic Selection

Post by Lawman1865 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:09 am

enz2103 wrote:Stats: 3.4/177
Pertinent Information: MA in Teaching; 1 year of teaching experience & 2 years of college admissions counseling experience in Guangzhou, China

I am deciding between the following personal statement topics:

1. Facing discrimination as a bisexual male. My twist? I have faced more discrimination from within the LGBTQ+ Community than from without. Many people within the community see me as a traitor if I "choose" to date a woman in lieu of a man. I am considering writing my personal statement about a specific memorable instance of this type of discrimination.

2. Helping a student overcome her numbers to get into a top undergraduate institution. Her teachers and in-school counselors told her she'd never make it to a T30 as an international applicant with her GPA and SAT (too low by international standards), but I was adamant about setting high expectations. I helped her emphasize her unique attributes throughout her application, and she ultimately got into UC Berkeley and UCLA after being rejected by Dartmouth, WashU, UVA, and a few others. This will also double as a subtle reminder that students are more than their numbers.

3. I can write about topic 2 and use topic 1 for a diversity statement.

Option 3 is likely the best option here, no need to burn your topic for a diversity statement on the PS.

I would also be careful with the discrimination aspect, which is important and can be done well, but don't come on too strong there and/or make it too political. I could be off here but considering the climate of politics these days I don't think you want to give an admissions committee any reason to feel like you might be a headache as part of their student body. Ultimately it sounds interesting and I think it will add positively to your app.

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:30 am

Lawman1865 wrote:
enz2103 wrote:I would also be careful with the discrimination aspect, which is important and can be done well, but don't come on too strong there and/or make it too political. I could be off here but considering the climate of politics these days I don't think you want to give an admissions committee any reason to feel like you might be a headache as part of their student body. Ultimately it sounds interesting and I think it will add positively to your app.
Yeah, I will not be making it political. It will just be a story about the dialogue we had and my efforts to make my friend (an LGBTQ+ ally) understand that being bisexual doesn't give me a "choice" in who I find attractive. The experience did teach me two important lessons which I will bring up:

1. I need to patiently and clearly communicate when discussing my sexuality, since it can be tough to process unless you are bisexual/pansexual.

2. Not every person will make an effort to understand my experience, and it is okay to stop trying to influence them. It was my first time dropping a conversation instead of continuing to argue senselessly.

babyxmarine

New

Post by babyxmarine » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:24 pm

enz2103 wrote:
Lawman1865 wrote:
enz2103 wrote:I would also be careful with the discrimination aspect, which is important and can be done well, but don't come on too strong there and/or make it too political. I could be off here but considering the climate of politics these days I don't think you want to give an admissions committee any reason to feel like you might be a headache as part of their student body. Ultimately it sounds interesting and I think it will add positively to your app.
Yeah, I will not be making it political. It will just be a story about the dialogue we had and my efforts to make my friend (an LGBTQ+ ally) understand that being bisexual doesn't give me a "choice" in who I find attractive. The experience did teach me two important lessons which I will bring up:

1. I need to patiently and clearly communicate when discussing my sexuality, since it can be tough to process unless you are bisexual/pansexual.

2. Not every person will make an effort to understand my experience, and it is okay to stop trying to influence them. It was my first time dropping a conversation instead of continuing to argue senselessly.

I understand you fully. I get all the time that people dont understand what I mean when i say I'm pan. They just say "oh you like just like sex". First off, no i dont sleep with everyone i find attractive or go on a date with :roll: . I think what Lawman said about using the option as your diversity statement, would be stellar.
I wish you luck! let me know how it turns out!
maybe even you can help me shine on my unique attributes as well!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:21 pm

enz2103 wrote:Not every person will make an effort to understand my experience, and it is okay to stop trying to influence them. It was my first time dropping a conversation instead of continuing to argue senselessly.
This is also a brilliant way of distancing yourself from the "I like to argue" mob

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”