How honest or personal should you be in your PS Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
shea1342

New

How honest or personal should you be in your PS

Post by shea1342 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:58 pm

In my personal statement, I state that I've moved to another city, but kind of gloss over the reason. I thought about moving to this city to go to law school as a resident and have greater job opportunities. The state I lived in previously only had one law school. However what finally pushed me to leave was the unexpected deaths of 5 close friends and family. It was hard to attend the same small school and not see them. I needed a change in scenery and chose to finish my degree at another university. The thing is, I have basically a gap year between leaving that school and starting my other school. What is the most professional way to address this?

mudiverse

Bronze

Re: How honest or personal should you be in your PS

Post by mudiverse » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:04 pm

very honest. very personal.

you don't need to write your PS about this particular topic unless you find it a compelling topic and you don't really need to address the gap year at all if nothing happened professional/academically. Some schools may ask you during interviews but thats it.

playersball

Bronze

Post by playersball » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:39 pm

I agree with the post above that you dont need to address it in your PS, but most/all schools I applied to asked me if my studies have been interrupted for more than one semester (iirc) or some sort of timeframe like that, so you would get a chance to explain it there

DrGlennRichie

Bronze

Post by DrGlennRichie » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:57 am

You don't need to describe all of this in PS. Addendum will do for explaining one year gap. The reason is legit.

In my critique of your PS I asked "Why Atlanta" and I think I was wrong. I was just confused why would you leave your family and your boyfriend for something that doesn't seem like UG institution or job. I think no explanation is needed in PS. My apologies.

Incrementalist

Bronze

Post by Incrementalist » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Like everyone else said you don't have to include all that information in your PS. An addendum is sufficient to address those issues.

shea1342

New

Post by shea1342 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:41 pm

Thank you everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”