For those in Yale Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lawman335

Bronze

For those in Yale

Post by lawman335 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:33 pm

I've sensed from these boards that people generally write their 250s on "academic" topics -- human rights, history, thesis papers, politics, law and mirrors, etc.

Has anyone gotten into Yale with a 250 that discussed a personal experience and what you learned from it? My resume/PS are so heavy with academic-y type things that I figured I'd make good use out of the 250 by discussing a memorable experience with a completely unrelated long-term hobby that has nothing to do with law.

I know the Yale blog says writing on a hobby is fine, but is it REALLY? Has anyone actually had success in writing on strictly a hobby (not a hobby+academic, though shout-out to trapeze-oral history artist guy, that's effin' awesome)?

Thanks!!

tomhobbes

Bronze

Re: For those in Yale

Post by tomhobbes » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:03 pm

You are a child of two worlds, lawman. Sometimes you are a useless troll and sometimes you write like a normal person asking normal questions. The time has come to choose.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:09 pm

I've red a bunch of 250s from Yale students. They're pretty much all over the map, though most actually talk about a personal experience rather than something academic.

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:12 pm

Check out last year's thread: Operation: Enduring Yale 250s
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 18&t=68738

bgc definitely got into Yale with a 250 on a topic completely unrelated to law. I'm really glad they did not discriminate against violin makers. bcg is awesome.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:13 pm

tomhobbes wrote:You are a child of two worlds, lawman. Sometimes you are a useless troll and sometimes you write like a normal person asking normal questions. The time has come to choose.
For a one day period, the kid hit the site with a vengeance. The randomness of the topics and replies is mind boggling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:15 pm

Wasn't there an interview a while back with a faculty member or someone involved with admissions at Yale who said the 250 has never actually made a difference in whether or not someone is accepted or rejected?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:27 pm

bees wrote:Wasn't there an interview a while back with a faculty member or someone involved with admissions at Yale who said the 250 has never actually made a difference in whether or not someone is accepted or rejected?
:shock: Somebody confirm? I can't believe that story.

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:05 pm

managamy wrote:
bees wrote:Wasn't there an interview a while back with a faculty member or someone involved with admissions at Yale who said the 250 has never actually made a difference in whether or not someone is accepted or rejected?
:shock: Somebody confirm? I can't believe that story.
Perhaps someone said this, but it can't be true. Ordinarily, three faculty members evaluate a candidate for admission, each awarding up to four points. The faculty members are free to choose whatever criteria they see appropriate. Some likely value the 250 greatly. Others, less so.

I think only a select group is actually sent to the faculty. Perhaps for the initial cut the 250 does not matter at all. That would be efficient and make sense.

But to say that it never actually matters just cannot be true.

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:09 pm

Maybe instead of never I should have said almost never. Again I'm not positive about this I just felt like I read it in an article that was linked to on this site. It might be best for everyone to assume I'm spreading harmful rumors and to continue to work diligently on their 250s.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:41 pm

tomhobbes wrote:You are a child of two worlds, lawman. Sometimes you are a useless troll and sometimes you write like a normal person asking normal questions. The time has come to choose.
I second this.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:44 pm

ConMan345 wrote:I've red a bunch of 250s from Yale students. They're pretty much all over the map, though most actually talk about a personal experience rather than something academic.
Other than here where can you get 250s from students actually admitted. I'm going to need something to distract me after this game. :(

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:46 pm

love it

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”