Hmm....lost soul here Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
tx1987

Bronze

Hmm....lost soul here

Post by tx1987 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi everyone-

First time poster here. I was reading through some personal statements trying to get a feel for what they're supposed to look like and I've realized that a lot of y'all know exactly where you want to go and what you want to do in life - and why. I'm 22 and fresh from college (undergrad) and all I really know is that my plan has always been to go to law school. I have no idea what field I'm leaning towards. I thought law school was for figuring that out! But it seems like I'm already behind the curve before I even start. I've just wanted to be a lawyer because I saw the passion my mom had for her profession (as a lawyer) and that's kind of just been my plan for the past few years, too.

So, my PS was going to be able me learning to walk again after I broke both my legs and lost my mother in a car accident. I wanted to show that I'm one of those "the tough get going" believers and that I will succeed in law school and in practicing it, whatever my chosen field is. Is that a good focus for my PS? OR should it be focused on why I want to go to law school rather than why I think I'll succeed in practicing law?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Re: Hmm....lost soul here

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:09 pm

tx1987 wrote:Hi everyone-

First time poster here. I was reading through some personal statements trying to get a feel for what they're supposed to look like and I've realized that a lot of y'all know exactly where you want to go and what you want to do in life - and why. I'm 22 and fresh from college (undergrad) and all I really know is that my plan has always been to go to law school. I have no idea what field I'm leaning towards. I thought law school was for figuring that out! But it seems like I'm already behind the curve before I even start. I've just wanted to be a lawyer because I saw the passion my mom had for her profession (as a lawyer) and that's kind of just been my plan for the past few years, too.

So, my PS was going to be able me learning to walk again after I broke both my legs and lost my mother in a car accident. I wanted to show that I'm one of those "the tough get going" believers and that I will succeed in law school and in practicing it, whatever my chosen field is. Is that a good focus for my PS? OR should it be focused on why I want to go to law school rather than why I think I'll succeed in practicing law?
i think it is a great topic. you dont have to know why you want to go to law school yet, not specifically, and you certainly dont have to write your PS about it -- i didnt.

mine was about...well, me. a way for adcomms to get to know me better, so if your story would do that, and i imagine it would, i say go for it 100%.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”