addendum? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ru2009

New

addendum?

Post by ru2009 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:18 pm

I was diagnosed as ADD my sophomore year of college...my GPA also improved drastically (like .5 or something) should I wrote an addendum on how taking medicine and changing my study habits helped???

itsfine

Bronze

Re: addendum?

Post by itsfine » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:18 pm

yeah if i were you i would wrote one. seems like a good reason

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:19 pm

ru2009 wrote:I was diagnosed as ADD my sophomore year of college...my GPA also improved drastically (like .5 or something) should I wrote an addendum on how taking medicine and changing my study habits helped???
Yeah, that is a legit reason. But keep it brief (not more than a half-page or so). And make sure it doesn't sound like an excuse or anything. I think there should be a section somewhere around here on how to write a strong addendum.

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:23 pm

ADD is kind of a tricky thing. If you have a legitimate medical diagnosis as well as concrete evidence of your improvement (which you seem to), I would say go for it. But be careful of explaining your increased GPA with improved study habits -- that seems more like an adjustment that everyone has to make. Were you prescribed medication? If so, I'd highlight that.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:26 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:ADD is kind of a tricky thing. If you have a legitimate medical diagnosis as well as concrete evidence of your improvement (which you seem to), I would say go for it. But be careful of explaining your increased GPA with improved study habits -- that seems more like an adjustment that everyone has to make. Were you prescribed medication? If so, I'd highlight that.
Actually... +++1

Wasn't even paying attention to that. Make it exclusively about the medical aspect.

ru2009

New

Post by ru2009 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:34 pm

wow, thanks for the help, guys...to be perfectly honest, the medication helped 90%, but I guess I am sensitive to the issue since Adderall is such an abused drug in college. I think it is evident I needed it, as reflected by my grades (in addition to improving my grades, I also totaled two cars before being medicated, both accidents due to distracted driving, which is further evidence to me my need for meds is legit) but I also do not want my addendum to boil down to "I got Adderall, I got smart" so I'm trying to play into both being medicated and "coping/working" with my disorder. I think part of going on Adderall taught me HOW to study, whereas before I just assumed I either got the material I learned in class or would never get it. That's a hard thing to describe in such a short frame, though, so maybe I will just go the medication route, even though I think it's a bit of a cop-out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”