Just Curious: How early are you moving in? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)

How early are you moving in?

a month before.. i like to prepare early
18%
2 weeks.. to get a feel for the area
30%
1 week before.. trying to stretch the time with family
40%
the day before.. i'll get enough "feel" during orientation week
12%

Total votes: 50

kschic

New

Just Curious: How early are you moving in?

Post by kschic » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:27 am

I'm trying to decide if its worth a $350 plane ticket to fly out at the end of this month to simply look/sign for an apt. and then 2 weeks later to go back and move-in. So when are most students moving across states to move to their new places?
Last edited by kschic on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lishi

Silver

Re: Just Curious: How early are you moving in?

Post by lishi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:05 pm

I've already moved in. But that's also because my lease in the city I was in before ended June 30. So now I'm just sitting and patiently waiting.

legalogre

New

Post by legalogre » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:09 pm

lishi wrote:I've already moved in. But that's also because my lease in the city I was in before ended June 30. So now I'm just sitting and patiently waiting.

Lishi are you at Wake?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:17 pm

yup yup

kschic

New

Post by kschic » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:14 pm

lishi--- What made you decide on Wake when you're from cali? i noticed you got into 2 good cali schools.. do you ever plan on returning to cali to practice?

i had a similar option choosing btwn cali and chicago... although i prefer warm weather and not being in debt, i went with the higher-ranked school
its reassuring to see others planning the big move out to the east.. (so i know i wasn't completely crazy by passing up warm weather cali) :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:26 pm

Well first of all, I have to admit that Wake offered me a very generous amount of money to sway my decision. But besides that, I had already lived in Philadelphia for undergrad, so the cold in North Carolina is minimal to me now.

I do want to eventually move back to California to practice, but I realized that as preferable it would be to move back after law school it would be ok for me to wait a couple years before I go. Also I know that everyone says that Wake is too regional, and that I should have picked a regional school in California since that's where I want to be. And I definitely took that to heart, and it almost took me away from Wake, but then I talked to some family friends who own their own law firms and they explained that when hiring people they only hire from a certain tier. So I decided on Wake, and I'm going to try to kick ass, and do all the summer associateships I can in California.

Also when I visited Wake they 1) had the BEST food I ever had, 2) had Creme Brulee which I LOVE, 3) everyone there was incredibly nice and friendly, they all made it clear that they really wanted me there, and that they would be helping me in any way possible to get me into whatever job market I want. I felt comfortable at Wake, and I think that's one of the most important things. If you're not comfortable and happy at where you at, you won't do well.

~~ sorry for the really long post :oops: ~~

kschic

New

Post by kschic » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:44 pm

lishi wrote: I do want to eventually move back to California to practice, but I realized that as preferable it would be to move back after law school it would be ok for me to wait a couple years before I go. Also I know that everyone says that Wake is too regional, and that I should have picked a regional school in California since that's where I want to be. And I definitely took that to heart, and it almost took me away from Wake, but then I talked to some family friends who own their own law firms and they explained that when hiring people they only hire from a certain tier. So I decided on Wake, and I'm going to try to kick ass, and do all the summer associateships I can in California.
No problem! I've always liked the longer answers to my questions :wink:

I am in the same boat with you on Cali.. although i haven't visited chicago yet- i'm pretty sure i will fall in love with the place and the abundance of good food! Likewise, I have a feeling rank plays a big role (no matter how regional the school).. my school C-k is also very regional.. and i might try to transfer to a cali school after 1L... have you given any thought to possibly transferring? i know no one can bet on it and i've been highly dissuaded from even thinking about it as an option but i still like to hope... do you think it'll hurt you to only network in California when finding a job in NC? --since employers want someone who will stay in the area long-term.. i feel like i'm hijacking my own thread.. but i think the poll question seems to be enough for most as an answer.. LOL..

what area of law are you interested in btw?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:56 pm

I have thought of the possibility of transferring to a California school, but there are few schools that I would actually transfer to (I'm from NorCal) and to get in there I would have to really do good at Wake Forest. But if I do that well, I think maybe it would be best to stay at Wake. But hopefully I have that tough decision to make next year.

I'm actually not too worried about looking for jobs in North Carolina as well. I feel like Wake has really great placement in North Carolina, and hopefully I do well enough where I could have options in the North Carolina area. But I also plan on applying to firms in California, and possibly in Philadelphia as well since I have connections in both of those markets.

Right now I'm really interested in family law, but I'm starting to lean a bit to criminal law (which is something I never thought I would be interested in). But everyone always says you go into law school thinking you want to do one thing, and you come out doing another. So I guess we'll see.

kschic

New

Post by kschic » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:12 pm

i guess it's hard to foresee the future through a lot of hypotheticals.. so we'll never really know until the end of first semester grades (at the earliest).. which makes sense.. and yes Wake does place very well in NC but i guess i was referring to your comment about doing all your summer associateships in cali.. because won't employers in NC ask why you chose to do that?

family law sounds interesting.. i'm leaning more towards something corporate/real estate/intl.. but who knows.. crim law has been appealing to me as of late
(and by more appealing.. i meant that before i wasn't even considering it an option)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:42 pm

krnsun27 wrote:and yes Wake does place very well in NC but i guess i was referring to your comment about doing all your summer associateships in cali.. because won't employers in NC ask why you chose to do that?
Well if I do all my summers in Ca, then hopefully I will get an offer from the place I do my 2L summer. And if not hopefully I've networked enough during those summers to get a job someplace else in California. Since that is where I truly want to be when I graduate, and since I'm not attending a Ca school, I think summer associateships are my next best option to starting out there when I graduate. But of course the hard part will be more of getting a summer job there, when I'm in school in NC and everyone else is in school in CA.

akahrpaperstacks

New

Post by akahrpaperstacks » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:10 am

I graduate on a Saturday and start on Monday.

Oh, it also happens to be a 16 hour drive.

hurley325

New

Post by hurley325 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:45 am

I'm moving in next Friday, about a month before school starts. I quit my job way too early and have been really bored over the last 6 weeks, so that really factored into my decision. Plus, I'm heading to New Orleans for school, so I figured I could get my month of debauchery out of the way prior to school starting so I don't have to really see what it is all about during 1L year.

kschic

New

Post by kschic » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:56 am

wow mine is nothing near paperstacks schedule! :shock:

although I'll be driving 23 hours w/ my family at the end of this month- it'll be about a week and a half before orientation starts.. (somehow I convinced them that this will be a nice family vacation lol) well i promised a nice tour of chicago once they help me settle in and we'll take little detours along the way...

o and i really like hurley's idea of a month full of debauchery... :P
Last edited by kschic on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kschic

New

Post by kschic » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:58 am

Last edited by kschic on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

finalnight

New

Post by finalnight » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:20 am

I moved 2.5 months ahead to get a head start on my MBA and get settled in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”