Stanford Law Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Arbit

New

Re: Stanford Law Class of 2011

Post by Arbit » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:20 am

Wow, we're onto a third page.
I guess DarlayBoo really is the One the prophecies spoke of in the long, long ago...

On that note, I'm surprised there haven't been more responses to the 'Introduce Yourself' discussion on the Facebook group.

Ecureuil

New

Post by Ecureuil » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:27 pm

Yeah, we're like the Spirit Committee in high school that no one paid attention to, haha.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:38 pm

Does the fact that I have no idea what a Spirit Committee is mean I'm one of the cool kids? (Oh God, please!)

EDIT: But seriously - what is a Spirit Committee?

Ecureuil

New

Post by Ecureuil » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:01 pm

I swear I wasn't on the Spirit Committee, but they're the kids who planned all the school rallies, school dances, decorated the school for holidays.

atomnc

New

Post by atomnc » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:03 pm

Can I claim prom planning, if we're forming a spirit committee? I think I did a pretty good job at that in high school. Maybe that's my real calling. Prom planning. Screw law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:14 pm

atomnc wrote:Maybe that's my real calling. Prom planning. Screw law school.
"Gold, Jerry! Gold!"

DarlayBoo

New

Post by DarlayBoo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:31 pm

Is SLS like a parallel dimension? Cause I'm pretty sure I'm a super nerd from the U of C, not someone you should be pinning your social cheer-leading hopes on.

In all seriousness about the ludicrousness of this situation, how about Abrit or aschup do something productive and introduce themselves already?

Edit: I talk to damn much. Briefer is better.
Last edited by DarlayBoo on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

evilsushi1

New

Post by evilsushi1 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi, I don't mean to take this thread on a tangent, but as a current UC Berkeley student, I was wondering if Ecureuil and priyajasmine had any advice specifically for undergrads at Berkeley interested in in law school.

Ecureuil

New

Post by Ecureuil » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:55 am

evilsushi1 wrote:Hi, I don't mean to take this thread on a tangent, but as a current UC Berkeley student, I was wondering if Ecureuil and priyajasmine had any advice specifically for undergrads at Berkeley interested in in law school.
Not sure if I can give you any specific advice on Berkeley undergrads aiming for Stanford (they call SLS admissions a black box for a reason, I guess), but I'd recommend trying to take a class at Boalt. I did a labor law seminar class with 2Ls and 3Ls and it really helped me figure out whether I would enjoy the law school experience or not. And I ended up asking the professor for one of my letters of rec, and I felt like the fact that the letter was coming from a professor who could legitimately compare me with actual law students might have been a plus.

If you have specific questions about applying, feel free to PM me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kissthegerman

New

Post by kissthegerman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:31 am

DarlayBoo wrote:Wait. So everyone keeps looking to see if there's a conversation going on here but are too scared to be the person who starts one? Fuck that shit. Let's get this party started already. I volunteer myself for digital rejection. Be kind.
I think this thread might get a lot of views because of people like me (0L) who are very jealous of y'all who are at Stanford. :D I'll sometimes come look at this thread to stay motivated when I'm starting to lose motivation to study for the LSAT. :D

Good luck to all of you at Stanford in the fall!

*jealously leaves thread*

Arbit

New

Post by Arbit » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:39 pm

Fine, you’ve convinced me that it’s futile to continue to cling to my TLS mask.

I am probably one of the few people who stressed out trying to figure out how to correctly put down the phonetic pronunciation of my name on that form. Like Anna, I’ve spent my summer in my isolated native land (New Mexico), trying to get in time with ailing family members before my life gets consumed by the law monster. I’ve spent my past few summers doing the internships that liberal arts majors are doomed to seek out, working in the offices of interesting people/organizations doing (mostly) very uninteresting and menial work, the closest of which was 2,000 miles from home. So I guess this summer is really just a drawn out way of making up for not being around much and a chance to get one last taste of life in this part of the country.

I graduated from Yale a few months ago with a degree in History and Religious Studies (or at least I hope it’s in those fields, since I can’t read the damn thing because it’s in Latin…), and am thus a recovering humanities nerd. Although I still sometimes ramble about early monasticism to my friends after a long night, I’m getting better at catching myself. In college I spent my free time doing a terrible radio show a couple times a week, failing to learn the bagpipes, and editing various publications. I also read a lot, and usually fall asleep on the couch watching DVDs (Arrested Development, 30 Rock, that kind of stuff), further cementing me as the least interesting person to have posted an introduction.

I have no idea what I want to wind up doing…my only criteria is something “not evil.” Right now something in the realm policy or legal history seems appealing, but since I entered college thinking I would major in biology, that probably doesn’t mean anything.

Despite everyone I met in college seemingly winding up in New York, I’m really happy to switch coasts for law school. Another three years in a John Kerry-esque environment may have done permanent damage, plus I’m a desert dweller, and New England winters will not be missed. Oh, and while I haven’t had many opportunities to play in the past couple years, I’m down for some Scrabble/Risk, especially if the campus is dead during those pre-orientation nights.
Last edited by Arbit on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:55 pm

FIRST MONTH STUDY BREAK.

Just putting it out there...

Ecureuil

New

Post by Ecureuil » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:41 am

Haha, aschup, I totally thought I was going to get rickrolled.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:12 am

Ecureuil wrote:Haha, aschup, I totally thought I was going to get rickrolled.
I would never, ever rickroll in such rarefied company. :D

atomnc

New

Post by atomnc » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:09 am

Sometimes Rickrolling is acceptable - I was amused by this one in particular...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Though I suppose it doesn't literally count as a rickroll if I warn you what will be playing when you watch it. Nonetheless amusing.

DarlayBoo

New

Post by DarlayBoo » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:14 am

Am I a bad person for expecting something so much more disturbing? Or just completely out of the loop for having to IM a friend what rickrolling was?

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:18 am

Firefox has a rickroll detector. How cool is that?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DarlayBoo

New

Post by DarlayBoo » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:52 am

Beauty of open-source :lol:

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:05 pm

Arbit wrote: Oh, and while I haven’t had many opportunities to play in the past couple years, I’m down for some Scrabble/Risk, especially if the campus is dead during those pre-orientation nights.
I love SCRABBLE. If I get into SLS this cycle, I'll be your SCRABBLE buddy next fall.

parkway45

New

Post by parkway45 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:13 pm

Instead of Treasure Island, people should go to Outside Lands (Aug 22), if you are here then...

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:15 am

parkway45 wrote:Instead of Treasure Island, people should go to Outside Lands (Aug 22), if you are here then...
Do you already have tickets?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

priyajasmine

New

Post by priyajasmine » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:30 pm

DarlayBoo wrote:
So maybe the Berkeley people can shed some light on this - or the Stanford alums if there are any out there - but, so football is a big thing out there? You guys have some sort of rivalry? (fully realize I probably sound like an alien asking, 'so what is this thing you call "the sun"?') Notice there's even a football game on our Orientation schedule. Um, is this something - as grad students - that, how do I put this, will matter a lot? Not to be in any way anti-football, I just, you know, went to the U of C, and while we might have had like an astronomy team somewhere or some mathletes, the idea of team affiliation coinciding with school affiliation is going to take a little getting used to for me. Someone be kind and give me like the 5-year-old's version of what I need to know.
So from someone who was barely even aware of the existence of American football until about a year ago, here is the down-low at its most basic (because that itself stretches the limits of my knowledge on the subject :) ...

Yes, there is a rather fierce Berkeley-Stanford football rivalry that goes back for God-knows-how-long. I specifically call it a 'football rivalry' because, no matter what students of either school tell you, this rivalry really doesn't go very far past the stadium. In fact, it doesn't even make it as far as the library- I happen to know from many trips to Berkeley's undergraduate library (Moffitt) that the stringent ID-required rules only permit entry to those with a Berkeley ID...or a Stanford ID. While I haven't been inside Stanford's library yet, I suspect a similar rule might apply there as well. If these guys really 'hated' each other that much, I doubt they'd allow each other access into their respective treasure troves of knowledge, so to speak, while barring entry to the rest of the world. Not to mention the scores of professors and students who have ties across the two universities and see the rivalry for what it is...a great reason to scream and stomp threateningly on the stands during a football game, but not much else.

As for whether this is a 'big deal' or not..only during Big Game week, or at any given football game at Berkeley have I seen this whole mindset actually displayed among my peers. And given that many or even most undergrads are probably more or less indifferent to football (as was I, until I found a boyfriend who considers Cal Football, and to some extent football in general, a sacred entity- go figure), I'm sure this applies even more to graduate students. I think we can safely get away with knowing even less than most of our undergrad counterparts about the game, or who Stanford is playing on a given weekend, etc-- thank god, because after sitting through every home game last season, I can now say with some very limited authority that my indifference was entirely justified.

Hope this helps, and all of us with similar views on this subject ought to get together on game-days and watch movies, play Scrabble, whatever anyone wants- EXCEPT watch the game :wink: .

Ecureuil

New

Post by Ecureuil » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:06 pm

The SLS 2011 facebook group's Intro thread totally exploded today. Woo!

atomnc

New

Post by atomnc » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:07 pm

Has anyone successfully logged into the Career Services site that was sent to us in that email today? My log in won't work. Not that I particularly relish looking for a job right now (scary thought for me), but I'd like to at least check out the system, ya know?

Ecureuil

New

Post by Ecureuil » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:43 pm

Oh good, I was about to post here asking the same. I can't get in either. Maybe SLS hasn't added us youngins to the job search program yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”