UCLA Law Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
bruinbear

New

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2011

Post by bruinbear » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:24 am

putting in my two cents about housing... im going to apply for weyburn but if i dont get it then im really not sure where to live. the area closest to campus are full of rowdy undergrads and i think id really prefer a quieter place to live during law school. its hard to find an afforable studio in westwood and i am NOT going to room with undergrads. but im not looking foward to having to take the bus to go to palms or driving to campus in traffic and have to buy a parking permit for campus either... maybe the apartments just south of wilshire so its still within walking distance but a better study atmosphere than westwood?

does anyone know what percent of people applying for weyburn actually get it?

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:27 am

gello5765 wrote:Is this really true? I thought that they said they wouldn't be taking anyone off the wait-list or re-reviewing wait-list applications until mid-late May?

i wont go as far to say they lied to you, but i was waitlisted and i got in yesterday so make your own conclusions.

i went to a Northwestern interview yesterday and was told that they wont be reviewing hold applicants until may, but the guy that had an interview before me told me that when he went in they told him that he actually got in already and just didnt send out his acceptance stuff yet.

so people do get in off of waitlists before admissions say they will... just that the majority probably wont until then.

Leonidas

New

Post by Leonidas » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:11 am

awaitingmailman wrote:
It is pretty low...I'm praying for a studio hha

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:13 am

Leonidas wrote:
awaitingmailman wrote:

id take any kind of liviing space as long as it comes with my own room in weyburn. if i dont get it- well looking for apartments in the middle of the summer is gonna suck (most of the good ones are gone by june).

anotherme

New

Post by anotherme » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:37 am

UCLA is so beautiful. congratulations to all who are going there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Leonidas

New

Post by Leonidas » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:37 am

awaitingmailman wrote:
Leonidas wrote:
awaitingmailman wrote:

id take any kind of liviing space as long as it comes with my own room in weyburn. if i dont get it- well looking for apartments in the middle of the summer is gonna suck (most of the good ones are gone by june).
My bed won't fit in the shared apartment or the two story one...haha

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:15 am

hm... i think its too much trouble to try to move my queen bed so im gonna keep it at home and buy a twin at ikea or off of a student...

Leonidas

New

Post by Leonidas » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:30 am

awaitingmailman wrote:hm... i think its too much trouble to try to move my queen bed so im gonna keep it at home and buy a twin at ikea or off of a student...
Girls like the queen...it stays

redux

New

Post by redux » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:35 am

Leonidas wrote:Girls like the queen...it stays
^ TITCR

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:43 am

a twin gives you the excuse to sleep on top of each other...

snlink

New

Post by snlink » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:46 am

Oh jeez, two credited responses... :shock:

BruinBoy86

New

Post by BruinBoy86 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:07 am

My queen bed is definitely coming with me. But the housing website does state rather clearly that no queen or king sized beds are allowed...

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:57 am

housing thinks a lot of things arent allowed

but what i would worry about if youre planning on in on campus housing and bringing a queen is whether it will FIT through the door/ in the elevator/ your room. maybe they say no queen/king beds is because it just doesnt fit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thetoughestdecision

New

Post by thetoughestdecision » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:44 pm

Hey everyone I just called Dean Schwartz and submitted my online deposit today and I am very excited! I was really torn for a while between UCLA and NYU but ultimately I know I made the right choice. Just a few more months...

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:18 pm

this may be a bit premature but anyone wanna look for an apartment together if weyburn doesnt work out? im thinking of the area just south of wilshire so its still within walking distance (though if youre truly lazy you can take the bus) but seperated from the majority of undergrads. the apartments out usually house young professionals and grad students. most places are about the same price as westwood apartments but they are nicer/bigger.

thaBeastfromtheEast

New

Post by thaBeastfromtheEast » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:39 pm

I don't get why you can't have a queen size bed. It is not that much bigger than a full size bed. And every bed I've had you can take apart, so you would definitely be able to fit it through the door. I'm too gigantic for a full size bed, and I refuse to sleep on a bed that is described by the word 'queen'. I'm bringing the king bed, cuz anything less isn't manly enough for me. And a queen size gets too crowded with me and two girls sleeping in it.

miked

New

Post by miked » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:05 am

So i'm coming to UCLA. I decided saturday after looking at pics someone posted on this site. What is weyburn like..how far from the law school? and are the rooms really that tiny?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bouzouki101

New

Post by Bouzouki101 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:39 am

thetoughestdecision wrote:Hey everyone I just called Dean Schwartz and submitted my online deposit today and I am very excited! I was really torn for a while between UCLA and NYU but ultimately I know I made the right choice. Just a few more months...
Hey, I've been away from this thread for a while now, but I remembered posting during your own "decision" thread and am glad to hear you decided on UCLA. I also know another girl who chose UCLA over NYU in much the same circumstances as us. So there will be more Socal converts next year than just you.

Also, congrats to everyone else. We'll have to keep this thread going during the summer.

On another note, anybody know where the housing application is/when it's due?

Phoenix Wright

New

Post by Phoenix Wright » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:55 am

thetoughestdecision wrote:Hey everyone I just called Dean Schwartz and submitted my online deposit today and I am very excited! I was really torn for a while between UCLA and NYU but ultimately I know I made the right choice. Just a few more months...
Congrats and welcome! I also chose UCLA over NYU, and I think there are a few others like that too. But yeah, if you feel good about the decision then that's what matters most right? :D
miked wrote:So i'm coming to UCLA. I decided saturday after looking at pics someone posted on this site. What is weyburn like..how far from the law school? and are the rooms really that tiny?
Welcome to you too! By any chance were those some of my pics? :wink:

Weyburn is pretty close to the law school - closest among the graduate housing by far. Weyburn is actually on/adjacent to UCLA campus; the other grad housing are about 4-5 miles away. Some housing have access to the UCLA campus shuttle, some do not, but whether you opt for shuttle or bus it's about a 20-30 minute ride. Shuttles run hourly; bus runs every 10 minutes.

I don't know how small the rooms are, but on the Weyburn info page, they pretty much say no queen beds allowed...
UCLA Housing Website wrote:Please do not bring the following items as they are not allowed in the apartments:

*Barbecues
*Waterbeds
*Queen-size or larger beds
*Loft kits
*Washing machines or clothes dryers
*Any pets or other animals. "Service Animals" are accommodated.
Here are some useful links:

UCLA Graduate Housing (main page)

UCLA University Apartments (all the non-Weyburn housing)

Weyburn Terrace Info

UCLA "Ask Housing" page - lots of FAQs, you can search too
Bouzouki101 wrote:On another note, anybody know where the housing application is/when it's due?
Bouzouki, the application can be found from the main housing page, click on "My Housing." On that page, select the app you need.

I don't know when it is due, but I was told by the admissions office to do it as soon as possible. There is a $30 non-refundable fee too.

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:02 am

I miss oocla. You guys will have an awesome time.
So i'm coming to UCLA. I decided saturday after looking at pics someone posted on this site. What is weyburn like..how far from the law school? and are the rooms really that tiny?
I would say it's a 20 minute walk from the law school. Maybe 25.

And yes, the rooms really are that tiny. Welcome to Westwood :D

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:51 am

Im not sure about Weyburn cause I've never been inside it but westwood apartments are that tiny. most rooms in westwood apartments are not big enough to fit a queen sized bed and a decent sized desk...

weyburn is pretty close to campus. its probably a 20 min walk away from the law school if you walk fast... but going from one side of the campus to another takes 10 mins and even going up to the undergrad dorms takes about 15 minutes cause of the hills...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thaBeastfromtheEast

New

Post by thaBeastfromtheEast » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:35 am

I'm bringing my king size waterbed.

bob loblaw

New

Post by bob loblaw » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:13 pm

I will be there!!! I am very excited even though I decided about 3 months ago ( I kinda have to be in LA for LS, so UCLA was pretty much it).

I sent the housing application in on 1/7/2008, before my seat deposit, and I haven't heard anything back yet. I requested a move-in date of june 15 in order to get my sh*t together sooner and enjoy an LA summer. Also, my fiancee will be living in the faculty apartments accross from Weyburn (fellowship at the med center), so whoever has to live with me in Weyburn will pretty much have the place to hisself. I'm only gonna use my room for an office-sort-of-place.

Anyway, it's great to see so many people as excited as I am about UCLA! Congratulations everyone!

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:36 pm

Does anybody know if UCLA's deposit is refundable at all? Or if it's binding? I can't seem to find a good answer.

redux

New

Post by redux » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:43 pm

SteelersandGators wrote:Does anybody know if UCLA's deposit is refundable at all? Or if it's binding? I can't seem to find a good answer.
i don't believe it is binding. what is binding, however, is the confirmation of intent to register (available in mid june, i believe). also, i don't think the deposit is refundable.

someone correct me if i'm wrong please.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”