Is it worth applying to these schools? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
JoshAZ22

New

Is it worth applying to these schools?

Post by JoshAZ22 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:31 am

Hi everyone,

New user here. Just got my LSAT score back today, a 169. In order for me to go to law school, I would need to receive significant financial aid in the form of merit-based scholarships. Wondering if it's worth applying to some upper-level schools based on my resume (specifically Northwestern, Michigan, and a little further down the rankings, Notre Dame), as well as what aid I could be expecting from other T50/100 schools (i.e. Indiana, Wayne State, Loyola Chicago, etc.). Would love any advice.

Overall resume is as follows:
- 169 LSAT
- 4.0 GPA at Loyola University Chicago (graduating Spring 2024), double-majoring in Supply Chain Management and Finance with a minor in Spanish
- Internship experiences at General Motors and Gordon Food Service
- Extracirriculars include President of Men's Club Basketball, President of the Supply Chain Management Student Club, 2-time participant at the National Undergraduate Supply Chain Competition, after-school Chicago Public Schools program volunteer for 3 years, member of LUC Honors College and an Honors College mentor, reader at Madonna della Strada Chapel, member of Alpha Sigma Nu (international Jesuit honors society) and Beta Gamma Sigma (international business honors society)

Again, any advice is beyond appreciated, and others can feel free to use this thread to get their own advice about merit-scholarships too! Thank you all.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Is it worth applying to these schools?

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:09 pm

JoshAZ22 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:31 am
Hi everyone,

New user here. Just got my LSAT score back today, a 169. In order for me to go to law school, I would need to receive significant financial aid in the form of merit-based scholarships. Wondering if it's worth applying to some upper-level schools based on my resume (specifically Northwestern, Michigan, and a little further down the rankings, Notre Dame), as well as what aid I could be expecting from other T50/100 schools (i.e. Indiana, Wayne State, Loyola Chicago, etc.). Would love any advice.

Overall resume is as follows:
- 169 LSAT
- 4.0 GPA at Loyola University Chicago (graduating Spring 2024), double-majoring in Supply Chain Management and Finance with a minor in Spanish
- Internship experiences at General Motors and Gordon Food Service
- Extracirriculars include President of Men's Club Basketball, President of the Supply Chain Management Student Club, 2-time participant at the National Undergraduate Supply Chain Competition, after-school Chicago Public Schools program volunteer for 3 years, member of LUC Honors College and an Honors College mentor, reader at Madonna della Strada Chapel, member of Alpha Sigma Nu (international Jesuit honors society) and Beta Gamma Sigma (international business honors society)

Again, any advice is beyond appreciated, and others can feel free to use this thread to get their own advice about merit-scholarships too! Thank you all.
Sure. It doesn't hurt to apply to the T14 schools like NW and Mich, but I think you won't see too much aid. You ought to apply and see though, as you never know. I think ND and WashU would both toss some money your way and they are certainly worth applying to. As for schools further down the list- U of IL, U of Iowa, U of Indiana, U of MN, and Loy/Kent would all be great options for you and I believe you'd receive a fullride to all of those.
I think you are competitive for the T14, you'll get scholarships to ND and WashU (idk how much, but a good chunk of change), and fullrides to the others. Best of luck!

Return to “Financial Aid”