Flexing HYS for $? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
chetobeto

New

Flexing HYS for $?

Post by chetobeto » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:48 am

Hey Y'all

Does anybody have any experience flexing their Harvard, Stanford, or Yale acceptance to other schools like Columbia or Penn for $? I haven't received any $ from these, but I've heard of people flexing their acceptances and getting stuff like a Hamilton or Butler or just some $ from these and other schools when you say you've been accepted to the top 3.

I have gotten $ from other schools but not too much.

How do you go about this?

QContinuum

Re: Flexing HYS for $?

Post by QContinuum » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:52 pm

You'd go about it like you'd go about any other negotiation. You'd inform them about your YSH offer, say you really like their school, but are now having a really hard time making a decision. Is there anything they could do?

You probably shouldn't expect a named scholly at Columbia, but maybe a lesser amount of aid is possible.

Don't "flex," don't come across as arrogant or boastful or like the school should be thrilled to have a YSH admit consider slumming it with them. CCNP admits routinely also get into YSH - the applicant pool overlaps to a huge extent.

Also, if you got into Yale, IMO no need to mention also getting into Harvard. A Yale admission gets the point across. Mentioning Harvard would be redundant and might come across as needless boasting (extremely rare to have a Y admit not also get into H, given H's huge class size).

Return to “Financial Aid”