Money that can't be touched Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Nuhopeful2017

New

Money that can't be touched

Post by Nuhopeful2017 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:57 am

Hi,

Assuming I decide to go full COA--->LRAP/PAYE route is it possible to sock money that I have now into a retirement fund that won't be touched by/accounted for in the aid disbursement process.

For example, say I'm a 22 year old private school teacher in a foreign country with approximately 8k in liquid assets. If I squirrel 5k away into a Roth or 401k will that money be discounted when student loans are being disbursed (so, for example, if I get say 70k to study for 1 year at Penn the Gov. will disburse 70k and not 65k and when I enroll in LRAP/PAYE after graduation that money will stay in my retirement accounts).

Basically, I want to plan for retirement now and it seems silly that I would have to give up everything I have in savings now for a wildly inflated tuition that in all likelihood I won't be paying back anyways.

If its unlikely that I can do this I'll probably wait a few years to reapply and more aggressively pursue schollys at t-20 schools (rn I have a 150k to WUSTL and 105k to USC without applying or negotiating so I think I could go a little higher if I was more proactive. I really want to get involved in non-profit/gov. work out of law school so I've been thinking that it would be more prudent to go for the highest ranked school I could get into/that feeds into the orgs/regions I want to work for/at).

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Money that can't be touched

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:49 am

If you take out federal loans it doesn't matter what your assets are or what you do with them - you can borrow up to the COA regardless of whether you're Midas or homeless (assuming you don't have massive credit problems). It only matters for need-based aid, which is primarily at HYS (and maybe occasionally some other schools, but I haven't seen a consistent list of which ones? But not many). In your Penn scenario, if COA is $70k it doesn't matter if you can actually pay $70k in cash, you can still borrow up to that amount.

Return to “Financial Aid”