Preemptive Scholarship Negotiation Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
harmcharm

New

Preemptive Scholarship Negotiation

Post by harmcharm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi everyone! I was accepted to one of my top choice schools back in November, and they likely will not make scholarship decisions until late February. The amount of merit aid I get will essentially determine whether I go there, and my stats are above both 75ths so I'm expecting at least something. I recently spoke to a 3L at this school, and told him some of my offers that I plan on using to negotiate down the road (admissions at higher ranked schools and full tuition offer at a lower ranked school, namely). However, he suggested informing the school about those offers now, before any scholarship decisions are made. Is this appropriate? If so, how do I word it so it doesn't come off as presumptuous/rude? I have a relationship with an admissions officer so the question of who to contact isn't an issue. Any advice appreciated!

TLSclique

New

Re: Preemptive Scholarship Negotiation

Post by TLSclique » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:25 pm

harmcharm wrote:Hi everyone! I was accepted to one of my top choice schools back in November, and they likely will not make scholarship decisions until late February. The amount of merit aid I get will essentially determine whether I go there, and my stats are above both 75ths so I'm expecting at least something. I recently spoke to a 3L at this school, and told him some of my offers that I plan on using to negotiate down the road (admissions at higher ranked schools and full tuition offer at a lower ranked school, namely). However, he suggested informing the school about those offers now, before any scholarship decisions are made. Is this appropriate? If so, how do I word it so it doesn't come off as presumptuous/rude? I have a relationship with an admissions officer so the question of who to contact isn't an issue. Any advice appreciated!
Its basically February, so you can go ahead and start. Just follow the standard negotiation procedure. Email them about the cost, ask them to review your scholarship amount, and attach your competing offers.

harmcharm

New

Re: Preemptive Scholarship Negotiation

Post by harmcharm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:17 pm

TLSclique wrote:
harmcharm wrote:Hi everyone! I was accepted to one of my top choice schools back in November, and they likely will not make scholarship decisions until late February. The amount of merit aid I get will essentially determine whether I go there, and my stats are above both 75ths so I'm expecting at least something. I recently spoke to a 3L at this school, and told him some of my offers that I plan on using to negotiate down the road (admissions at higher ranked schools and full tuition offer at a lower ranked school, namely). However, he suggested informing the school about those offers now, before any scholarship decisions are made. Is this appropriate? If so, how do I word it so it doesn't come off as presumptuous/rude? I have a relationship with an admissions officer so the question of who to contact isn't an issue. Any advice appreciated!
Its basically February, so you can go ahead and start. Just follow the standard negotiation procedure. Email them about the cost, ask them to review your scholarship amount, and attach your competing offers.
Thanks so much!

Return to “Financial Aid”