Deferring admission AND scholarship? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
cooper26

New

Deferring admission AND scholarship?

Post by cooper26 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:34 pm

Has anyone heard about or have experience with this? I know that deferring admission for a year is no big deal, but what about a merit scholarship offer?

blurbz

Silver

Re: Deferring admission AND scholarship?

Post by blurbz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Very, very unlikely to happen.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:56 pm

cooper26 wrote:Has anyone heard about or have experience with this? I know that deferring admission for a year is no big deal, but what about a merit scholarship offer?

You can defer the acceptance, but most likely will have to be re considerded for the scholarship next fall. Contact financial aid and tell them your reasons for deferring and see what the official school response is. I would think that you will be eligible for it again, but i wouldnt guarentee it.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:05 pm

It is apparently very easy at certain T14s. I know multiple people who got it by asking nicely.

cooper26

New

Post by cooper26 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Yeah, I'm considering taking off a year to work / clear my head / travel before I take on $150k in loans. I'm REALLY hoping that I'll be able to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gavinstevens

Bronze

Post by gavinstevens » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Necromancing this thread.

Would deferring a year to pay off UG debt (at a mediocre job) be likely to win over financial aid folks to defer both admission and scholarship? Or does it have to be for a once in lifetime opportunity (Rhodes, TFA, etc.)?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:51 pm

gavinstevens wrote:Necromancing this thread.

Would deferring a year to pay off UG debt (at a mediocre job) be likely to win over financial aid folks to defer both admission and scholarship? Or does it have to be for a once in lifetime opportunity (Rhodes, TFA, etc.)?
Depending on the school and how they view the reason you present. Many top schools are quite liberal with this. Some are not. Search, and ask.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:30 pm

agree with r6. It's usually more about the school's policy regarding deferral than the specific case, unless it's for a school who's policy is to review case-by-case

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Can we get a T14 list with each school's policy/history on this? This would really help me out a lot. thanks guys!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:21 pm

boosk wrote:Can we get a T14 list with each school's policy/history on this? This would really help me out a lot. thanks guys!
I don't think it makes any different looking at the past. It's most likely case by case depending on personal situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”