FAFSA Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
nyjag22

New

FAFSA

Post by nyjag22 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:53 pm

So, I'm thinking ahead to when I apply to law school next fall. I have never filled out a FAFSA as an UG. My pre-law advisor (who is pretty useless and whose judgment I do not trust) told me I need to fill one out prior to applying in order to be able to attract scholarship options within weeks of being accepted. Is this true, or do I not need the FAFSA to qualify for those scholarships - which I assume are usually performance-based?

Part II: When filling out the FAFSA prior to law school, should I claim as an independent even though I'm not? I know that once you're in graduate school you can claim independence, but technically I won't be at the time of filling it out. Thanks in advance for your responses!

mommamia

New

Re: FAFSA

Post by mommamia » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:59 pm

If you are applying for law school in the 2010-2011 year, then you will be automatically considered as an independent because it is graduate school. It does not have anything to do with what your status is for the 2009-2010 year.

MURPH

Silver

Re: FAFSA

Post by MURPH » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:56 pm

Getting things done early is better. But you probably don't need to do it before you apply.

Return to “Financial Aid”