LSAC Fee Waiver - Parental Income when independent? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
equestrian22

New

LSAC Fee Waiver - Parental Income when independent?

Post by equestrian22 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:22 pm

I'm a bit irked that LSAC requires proof of parental income even though I'm independent, my mother is remarried and my stepfather makes more than my mom and dad do combined, putting me well out of the range of a fee waiver. Is this age based...? I ask because the application begins with asking whether I was born before or after 1986. Additionally, they are asking for 2008 income tax information when I was claimed as a dependent (because I was on my parent's health insurance) even though I was paying for my own living expenses and working throughout school. For 2009 I filed independent and I'm considered a low income earner <30,000 so I was really hoping that I would qualify for a fee waiver since rent, car payment, food, and utilities take up most of my paychecks. Is there any way of getting around this? The thing that is worrying me most is that many schools appear to give application fee waivers automatically to those who qualify for the LSAC waiver and that would save me $700+ easily. I'm planning on taking the test in June and want to get my ducks in a row well beforehand. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has run into this issue. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Diamond

Re: LSAC Fee Waiver - Parental Income when independent?

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:32 pm

equestrian22 wrote:I'm a bit irked that LSAC requires proof of parental income even though I'm independent, my mother is remarried and my stepfather makes more than my mom and dad do combined, putting me well out of the range of a fee waiver. Is this age based...? I ask because the application begins with asking whether I was born before or after 1986. Additionally, they are asking for 2008 income tax information when I was claimed as a dependent (because I was on my parent's health insurance) even though I was paying for my own living expenses and working throughout school. For 2009 I filed independent and I'm considered a low income earner <30,000 so I was really hoping that I would qualify for a fee waiver since rent, car payment, food, and utilities take up most of my paychecks. Is there any way of getting around this? The thing that is worrying me most is that many schools appear to give application fee waivers automatically to those who qualify for the LSAC waiver and that would save me $700+ easily. I'm planning on taking the test in June and want to get my ducks in a row well beforehand. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has run into this issue. Thanks in advance for any advice!
If you were born before 1986 you are independent, and then you don't need parental info. If you wait until march it will turn into before 1987.

Last year I waited until march and filled it out, and it asked for 2007 tax data, so I qualified when I shouldn't have, but fuck LSAC, I still spent 200 dollars.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
equestrian22 wrote:I'm a bit irked that LSAC requires proof of parental income even though I'm independent, my mother is remarried and my stepfather makes more than my mom and dad do combined, putting me well out of the range of a fee waiver. Is this age based...? I ask because the application begins with asking whether I was born before or after 1986. Additionally, they are asking for 2008 income tax information when I was claimed as a dependent (because I was on my parent's health insurance) even though I was paying for my own living expenses and working throughout school. For 2009 I filed independent and I'm considered a low income earner <30,000 so I was really hoping that I would qualify for a fee waiver since rent, car payment, food, and utilities take up most of my paychecks. Is there any way of getting around this? The thing that is worrying me most is that many schools appear to give application fee waivers automatically to those who qualify for the LSAC waiver and that would save me $700+ easily. I'm planning on taking the test in June and want to get my ducks in a row well beforehand. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has run into this issue. Thanks in advance for any advice!
If you were born before 1986 you are independent, and then you don't need parental info. If you wait until march it will turn into before 1987.

Last year I waited until march and filled it out, and it asked for 2007 tax data, so I qualified when I shouldn't have, but fuck LSAC, I still spent 200 dollars.
A helpful post from DF?

Quoted for posterity.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:36 pm

booboo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

A helpful post from DF?

Quoted for posterity.
50% bragging about how much of a loser I am.

25% trolling

10% anti MVPB trolling

15% real advice to keep people on edge.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”