When do you apply for loans? after FAFSA? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
CordeliusX

Bronze

When do you apply for loans? after FAFSA?

Post by CordeliusX » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:40 pm

I am still very much exploring my options here... and totally clueless.

Once I get my FAFSA and Need Access, do I then have to apply for the loans? Do I wait until the schools get back to me with what I'm eligible for?

I'm really confused. Also, how recent of bank statements do you need? Do they fact check everything to the nearest $.01? :(

conformalgeom

New

Re: When do you apply for loans? after FAFSA?

Post by conformalgeom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:21 pm

Fellow 0L here jumping through the process of filling out these forms. I have experience from my undergraduate years dealing with this stuff though.
CordeliusX wrote: Once I get my FAFSA and Need Access, do I then have to apply for the loans? Do I wait until the schools get back to me with what I'm eligible for?
Generally, the process is as follows:

1) Fill out the FAFA and any other forms required by your institution.

2) Wait until the financial aid department gets back to you with what amount of loans and grants you can claim.

3) Choose which loans and grants you wish to claim for the following academic year.

4) Select from a list of banks or other federally backed lender who will be the actual institution providing your loans.

5) Fill out a promissory note and other forms required by selected institution.

From here it normally depends on the school or institution. In my personal experience, when distributing the loan money, the lending institution first paid the university then, if any money was left over, deposited the rest of the money into my savings/checking account.

I hope this is useful to you. It has been a while since I did anything after step 3 as after your first year at an institution you don't have to do 4 or 5 anymore.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:22 pm

conformalgeom wrote:Fellow 0L here jumping through the process of filling out these forms. I have experience from my undergraduate years dealing with this stuff though.
CordeliusX wrote: Once I get my FAFSA and Need Access, do I then have to apply for the loans? Do I wait until the schools get back to me with what I'm eligible for?
Generally, the process is as follows:

1) Fill out the FAFA and any other forms required by your institution.

2) Wait until the financial aid department gets back to you with what amount of loans and grants you can claim.

3) Choose which loans and grants you wish to claim for the following academic year.

4) Select from a list of banks or other federally backed lender who will be the actual institution providing your loans.

5) Fill out a promissory note and other forms required by selected institution.

From here it normally depends on the school or institution. In my personal experience, when distributing the loan money, the lending institution first paid the university then, if any money was left over, deposited the rest of the money into my savings/checking account.

I hope this is useful to you. It has been a while since I did anything after step 3 as after your first year at an institution you don't have to do 4 or 5 anymore.
That was a HUGE help, contormalgeom!! I didn't do loans for undergrad so I really had no idea how any of this worked.

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:28 pm

conformalgeom wrote:I hope this is useful to you. It has been a while since I did anything after step 3 as after your first year at an institution you don't have to do 4 or 5 anymore.
:D Should be stickied somewhere... thanks!!!

conformalgeom

New

Post by conformalgeom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:37 pm

jks289 wrote: That was a HUGE help, contormalgeom!! I didn't do loans for undergrad so I really had no idea how any of this worked.
Glad to be of service! I personally find the entire system rather frustrating and tedious, especially when you have to dig up your parents' assets. I am not expecting to be eligible for anything beyond the stuff *everyone* tends to be eligible for (unsubsidized stafford and gradPLUS). I really wish there was a "my parents make too much money" toggle(even though I am going to be completely financing law school through loans and possibly scholarships :lol:).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:02 pm

How much can you toggle the living costs, etc? I am confused on how precise these forms need to be.

I am hoping to do my FAFSA over the weekend... or at least my taxes. This just sucks.

miami..

New

Post by miami.. » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:05 pm

are the gradplus loans an entirely seperate process from the fafsa? thanks!

conformalgeom

New

Post by conformalgeom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:32 pm

miami.. wrote:are the gradplus loans an entirely seperate process from the fafsa? thanks!
This is not based on any personal experience: I would say no. If gradPLUS loans are anything like parentsPLUS loans(similar in structure to gradPLUS, but taken out in your parent's name) you will be informed regarding what amount you can take out for the next year by your financial aid department. I never did parentsPLUS loans during my undergrad, but it basically just requires some more forms and a credit check which can be done through the lending institution you are getting your Stafford loans from.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:29 pm

Hmm, I don't think I'll be eligible for need-based aid since my EFC is around 15k (should have lent my life savings to my parents -_-). If a school requires both FAFSA and Need Access, but I only fill out the FAFSA, will I still be eligible for federal loans?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Muddy

New

Post by Muddy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:55 am

If I complete my parent's FAFSA information, then they don't have to complete a FAFSA like they did in UG? My parents already owe SO MUCH money for my UG loans. I want the law school loans to be entirely in my name. They won't have to co-sign,, will they?

conformalgeom

New

Post by conformalgeom » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:06 pm

Muddy wrote:If I complete my parent's FAFSA information, then they don't have to complete a FAFSA like they did in UG?
They shouldn't, but I haven't finished filling out the FAFSA and other stuff yet.
I want the law school loans to be entirely in my name. They won't have to co-sign,, will they?
For Stafford loans, you shouldn't need a co-signer. For gradPLUS loans, the answer will depend on whether or not your credit rating is good enough for your selected lender.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”