File FASFA before or after taxes Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
jlnoa0915

Bronze

File FASFA before or after taxes

Post by jlnoa0915 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:48 pm

Should I file now or wait until after I file my taxes. If its before, any advice so that my numbers are not way off?
Last edited by jlnoa0915 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyLaw

Gold

Re: File before or after taxes

Post by CyLaw » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:51 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:Should I file now or wait until after I file my taxes. If its before, any advice so that my numbers are not way off?
If things are not extremely different from last year, you could use last years as an estimate. Other than that, I would suggest at least waiting for the W2's

ozarkhack

Bronze

Re: File FASFA before or after taxes

Post by ozarkhack » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:58 pm

To be as accurate as possible, wait till taxes filed. But you shouldn't have to wait too long, as your employer(s) should have to have your W-2 in pretty soon. Unless you have lots of complicated stuff going on with your personal finances, I guess.

I had my Fafsa waiting to go pending my W-2 and other needed info. Then, filed my taxes this morning and my Fafsa about 30 minutes ago.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:01 pm

If you have your w-2s it really doesn't matter.

geostuck

New

Post by geostuck » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:33 pm

W-2's are required to be sent by Jan 31

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:24 am

Did mine before W2's. Was about 2k off and now that I got most of my W2's I plan on calling FAFSA peoples. You can always adjust what you put down.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:43 am

Doritos wrote:Did mine before W2's. Was about 2k off and now that I got most of my W2's I plan on calling FAFSA peoples. You can always adjust what you put down.
You don't have to call them. Just login into your SAR and there should be a link to make changes.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:52 am

CyLaw wrote:
Doritos wrote:Did mine before W2's. Was about 2k off and now that I got most of my W2's I plan on calling FAFSA peoples. You can always adjust what you put down.
You don't have to call them. Just login into your SAR and there should be a link to make changes.
This is why you're my favorite. Thanks

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:56 am

Doritos wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
Np. I just had to do it myself about 45 mins ago as I estimated my AGI as 77 dollars too high. So glad to have taxes done.

Taxes: Done.
FAFSA: Done.
NEED Access: Done (just as soon as Cornell approves my Parent information waiver).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:51 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Doritos wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
Np. I just had to do it myself about 45 mins ago as I estimated my AGI as 77 dollars too high. So glad to have taxes done.

Taxes: Done.
FAFSA: Done.
NEED Access: Done (just as soon as Cornell approves my Parent information waiver).
How'd you get the Parent Information waiver form? I emailed them a couple of days ago asking how to go through the process of requesting independent status, but have not heard back. Just wondering if there's a way I can get the form without having to hound them to send it to me.

natalie123

Bronze

Post by natalie123 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:04 pm

i filed my forms now. will be doing my taxes in the next few weeks. that being said, i had my w2s in front of me as i worked on them, and last year's return.

what's this about a cornell parent waiver? it's laughable i have to provide parent information to anyone. (paging duke!) they haven't claimed me on their taxes since 1993.

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:12 pm

:oops:

what is NEED access?

*eidt - or more importantly, how do i find out if the school i want to go to requires me to apply for this? ive never heard of it

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:29 pm

aIvin adams wrote::oops:

what is NEED access?

*eidt - or more importantly, how do i find out if the school i want to go to requires me to apply for this? ive never heard of it
http://www.needaccess.org/participating-schools.htm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:31 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:Should I file now or wait until after I file my taxes. If its before, any advice so that my numbers are not way off?
You can amend the thing in like, 5 min. It really doesn't matter unless you have no freaking clue what your numbers are.

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:32 pm

I did before. I'll change it when I get my W2s.

I should say that my income in 2009 was markedly diff from 2008 so I guestimated the best I could.

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:45 am

NancyBotwin wrote:
aIvin adams wrote::oops:

what is NEED access?

http://www.needaccess.org/participating-schools.htm
thx.

this looks dumm :/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”