Penn Levy Scholarship Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
skynet

Bronze

Penn Levy Scholarship

Post by skynet » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:45 am

Anybody else get an invitation?

Also: Penn + Levy Scholarship vs. Harvard + nothing?

sam.emton

New

Re: Penn Levy Scholarship

Post by sam.emton » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:37 pm

Right there with you. I'd seriously consider the Levy at Penn over Harvard. Does anyone think that it matters which of the four essays we choose to write?

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:38 pm

I really hate the essay topics, but they are generic enough to make me think that they cannot be a huge factor in the decision. I would think that most essays would have significant overlap for most people with at least one of the many essays Penn requires for the regular application.

nimhnimh

New

Post by nimhnimh » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:33 am

Is it crazy to email Penn to ask for an invitation to apply for one of their scholarships (not necessarily Levy)?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:42 am

Seeing as how Columbia + Hamilton vs Harvard usually ends up in favor of Harvard, I'd have to think that the same goes for Penn + Levy. Of course, it's a highly personal decision, and your best option might well be Penn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:46 am

I've been invited to apply, and I'm facing the same decision as you, Skynet. The internal battle of the prestige whore and eternal job market pessimist vs. the opportunity to live comfortably after LS with little debt and a good chance to still land a great job is already raging.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:16 am

Talking to some Penn folks, I get the impression that the Levy students are considered special there, and that they are sort of at the top of the list when people start looking to give a Penn student some kind of opportunity. Combined with Penn's study abroad and joint degree options, it certainly is something that would be hard to turn down.

On the other hand: Let's say that I am planning on borrowing my entire COL. I will still graduate with like 80 to 100k in debt, even with the Levy. And if another school comes through with a good finaid package, the Levy becomes less of a boon.

Too many moving parts here to make a meaningful judgment yet. After I find out if I even got the Levy and see what other finaid is on the table, I think it will be much easier to decide.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:30 pm

+1 to all that. Any idea when HLS generally starts to give out need grants? If we're accepted we only have until April 14th to decide...

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:55 pm

GeePee wrote:+1 to all that. Any idea when HLS generally starts to give out need grants? If we're accepted we only have until April 14th to decide...
That 4/14 deadline is a real problem for me. I am def. going to Stanford's ASW on 4/16-19, and I really can't make a decision before then. I wonder if they will give me an extension on that deadline.

I'm not sure when HLS releases aid #'s but I think/hope it will be in March sometime if you've already been admitted and applied for aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

booby87

Bronze

Post by booby87 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Some other threads seem to be throwing around 3/10 as an important $ date, historically.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:10 pm

Just got the Levy email: I got it! Anyone else?

duodora

Bronze

Post by duodora » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:19 pm

skynet wrote:Just got the Levy email: I got it! Anyone else?
Yup :)

Thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Decision just got harder. Esp since Boalt may match it (at least partly). I still feel like I can't make an informed decision until I get the rest of my finaid offers though. You?

duodora

Bronze

Post by duodora » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:56 pm

skynet wrote:Decision just got harder. Esp since Boalt may match it (at least partly). I still feel like I can't make an informed decision until I get the rest of my finaid offers though. You?
Yeah. Not sure what to do actually--going to send in aid matching stuff to Berkeley ASAP and see what comes of that. I also have a really good scholarship to Duke (I'm interested in environmental law, which Duke is very strong in), and a Yale acceptance.

I see you've been accepted to Stanford--congrats! I still haven't heard from them (applied in October, so probably a bad sign!).

What are the top schools you're looking at now?

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:13 pm

duodora wrote:
skynet wrote:Decision just got harder. Esp since Boalt may match it (at least partly). I still feel like I can't make an informed decision until I get the rest of my finaid offers though. You?
Yeah. Not sure what to do actually--going to send in aid matching stuff to Berkeley ASAP and see what comes of that. I also have a really good scholarship to Duke (I'm interested in environmental law, which Duke is very strong in), and a Yale acceptance.

I see you've been accepted to Stanford--congrats! I still haven't heard from them (applied in October, so probably a bad sign!).

What are the top schools you're looking at now?
Congrats on the Yale acceptance! It's really a toss-up for me at this point. One thing I really want to do is talk to current Levy's and find out what tipped the scales for them. A match from Boalt would really put them in the running, esp. with their new law/cleantech certificate program. Still, I have pretty serious financial need, so H and S may come through w enough aid to totally seal the deal. Lots of balls still in the air. All in all, walking away from any T3 is going to be hard for anyone, even more so ITE.

duodora

Bronze

Post by duodora » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:25 pm

skynet wrote:Congrats on the Yale acceptance! It's really a toss-up for me at this point. One thing I really want to do is talk to current Levy's and find out what tipped the scales for them. A match from Boalt would really put them in the running, esp. with their new law/cleantech certificate program. Still, I have pretty serious financial need, so H and S may come through w enough aid to totally seal the deal. Lots of balls still in the air. All in all, walking away from any T3 is going to be hard for anyone, even more so ITE.
Yeah--I'm sort of going through the same thing in my mind. I do think a lot of it will depend on the need based aid from Yale. I don't really know what that will turn out to be--I know it works differently than undergrad. At the same time though, with the economy--it's also tough to justify accruing a bunch of debt when it's not necessary.

I'm really eager to talk with current Levy's too--see what they have to say! You going to ASW?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

booby87

Bronze

Post by booby87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:09 pm

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:14 pm

booby87 wrote:wow duodora Yale? I would turn the Levy down for Yale, but that's just me. Not sure about Harvard/Stanford though, I think it is going to be a tough decision.

Also, did you guys notice a typo in the pdf attached to the notification email? The Levy Agreement says the scholarship is full tuition all three years...I wish that was true.
lol! awesome. secret scholarship extra money.

brennanlives

New

Post by brennanlives » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:20 pm

skynet wrote:
booby87 wrote:wow duodora Yale? I would turn the Levy down for Yale, but that's just me. Not sure about Harvard/Stanford though, I think it is going to be a tough decision.

Also, did you guys notice a typo in the pdf attached to the notification email? The Levy Agreement says the scholarship is full tuition all three years...I wish that was true.
i got it as well!!!! i am so excited!! do you all have any idea how many they offer?

booby87

Bronze

Post by booby87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:22 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:28 pm

Maybe it's not a typo? Maybe they changed it to be straight-up full tuition?

janer

New

Post by janer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:43 pm

GeePee wrote:Maybe it's not a typo? Maybe they changed it to be straight-up full tuition?
That would be nice; however, the email still says two-thirds tuition for 2nd and 3rd years.

brennanlives

New

Post by brennanlives » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:47 pm

booby87 wrote:
brennanlives wrote:
skynet wrote:

i got it as well!!!! i am so excited!! do you all have any idea how many they offer?
congrats!! seems like most of us that applied got it so far....

what are your other options??
as of now, columbia/NYU. i have yet to hear from HYS, which i think are the only schools that could tip the balance--i'm feeling pretty conflicted!

brennanlives

New

Post by brennanlives » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:40 pm

oh also - what sorts of cross-disciplinary things would you guys be thinking about doing?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”