Leveraging higher acceptances? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
agentzer0

Bronze

Leveraging higher acceptances?

Post by agentzer0 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:46 pm

So I know you can frequently leverage a scholarship offer from one school to get some money out of another. My question is, can you leverage a mere acceptance at a higher ranked school? "Gee Michigan I'd really love to go to you but I got into Columbia too so... *money hand-gesture* "

Seems like kind of an ass-hole thing to do... but for scholarship money (10? 20? 50 THOUSAND dollars?)... I can be an ass-hole... if it would work?

fonzerelli

Bronze

Re: Leveraging higher acceptances?

Post by fonzerelli » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:51 pm

agentzer0 wrote:So I know you can frequently leverage a scholarship offer from one school to get some money out of another. My question is, can you leverage a mere acceptance at a higher ranked school? "Gee Michigan I'd really love to go to you but I got into Columbia too so... *money hand-gesture* "

Seems like kind of an ass-hole thing to do... but for scholarship money (10? 20? 50 THOUSAND dollars?)... I can be an ass-hole... if it would work?
We have ourselves a verifiable capitalist ITT - lol.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:21 pm

$$
>
o

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:24 pm

Possibly one of the few places you can get that much money for being an ass-hole...in a m4m brothel. Are you an effeminate man?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:19 pm

You could try. But Michigan fancies itself on a tier with CCN (and indeed it isn't significantly lower, if at all), so you're likely to lose that war.

The best way would probably be to leverage location. Say, if you want to work in NYC after graduation: Michigan can't deny that Columbia has better placement prospects in NYC, and so you could argue that picking up debt from Columbia is less dangerous than picking up the same debt from Michigan and leverage that into a small scholarship at Michigan.

It's certainly not going to get your admission rescinded if unsuccessful, although don't be surprised by a terse and rather offended reply denying you any money. I personally would feel too dirty doing this and would not consider it. Then again, I find the whole idea of negotiating for scholarship money faintly disgusting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:23 pm

I cannot, for the life of me, imagine a school deciding to accept you simply because a higher-ranked school had.

Asking as much would strike me as a huge insult to any AdComm -- basically implying that they should be operating by the standards that another AdComm operates by.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:59 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I cannot, for the life of me, imagine a school deciding to accept you simply because a higher-ranked school had.

Asking as much would strike me as a huge insult to any AdComm -- basically implying that they should be operating by the standards that another AdComm operates by.
He's trying to leverage scholarship money, not an acceptance. It's absolutely acceptable to ask for matching money, but trying to leverage acceptance at a slightly higher school seems a bit iffy to me.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:04 pm

agentzer0 wrote:So I know you can frequently leverage a scholarship offer from one school to get some money out of another. My question is, can you leverage a mere acceptance at a higher ranked school? "Gee Michigan I'd really love to go to you but I got into Columbia too so... *money hand-gesture* "

Mich wouldn't give me ANY money and I had substantial money offers from UVA, Chicago and Penn and an NYU acceptance. I say you would fail.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:05 am

Georgiana wrote:

Mich wouldn't give me ANY money and I had substantial money offers from UVA, Chicago and Penn and an NYU acceptance. I say you would fail.
Crap. That is all.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:31 pm

They won't rescind their offer if you try.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”