This is going to sound kind of pretentious but... Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Re: This is going to sound kind of pretentious but...

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:44 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
msbeautifulbasham wrote:I totally understand your situation, OP. I am worried about the same thing. I am wondering if I will qualify for any loans, because my parents have created savings accounts and mutual funds in my name and have purchased a home with my name - with the exception that they won't let me access them! So, on paper it looks like I'm loaded, but its really not the case at all, since it is all my parents' money that they won't give it to me (something about me needing to learn the value of a dollar.... hmph!) So pretty much, I'm probably headed to a much lower school than my LSAT/G.P.A. afford, because I need the aid.
No offense, but your conclusion is completely off.

You don't need to be able to afford a school up-front to attend. The grand majority of applicants have to pay entirely via loans because they don't have the money on-hand to pay for it.

Be very happy that you are lucky enough to have significant holdings, even if you won't be able to access them for years.
Thanks, guys. That is reassuring. I guess I am way off. I'm so confused on how aid works. Fortunately, I never had to depend on aid for my UG (scholarships covered all direct expenses). However, my brother is a Ph.D. student at Stanford and he was denied aid at Stanford when he applied 4 years ago, so I was wondering if its the same situation...

aad

New

Post by aad » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:46 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:I totally understand your situation, OP. I am worried about the same thing. I am wondering if I will qualify for any loans, because my parents have created savings accounts and mutual funds in my name and have purchased a home with my name - with the exception that they won't let me access them! So, on paper it looks like I'm loaded, but its really not the case at all, since it is all my parents' money and they won't give it to me (something about me needing to learn the value of a dollar.... hmph!) So pretty much, I'm probably headed to a much lower school than my LSAT/G.P.A. afford, because I need the scholarship money.
Parents are protecting their assets and might be helping you out in the long run. This strategy will probably help you avoid a lot of estate taxes when your parents pass away. You might need to take the loans now, but you'll be alright in the long run.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:46 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
msbeautifulbasham wrote:I totally understand your situation, OP. I am worried about the same thing. I am wondering if I will qualify for any loans, because my parents have created savings accounts and mutual funds in my name and have purchased a home with my name - with the exception that they won't let me access them! So, on paper it looks like I'm loaded, but its really not the case at all, since it is all my parents' money that they won't give it to me (something about me needing to learn the value of a dollar.... hmph!) So pretty much, I'm probably headed to a much lower school than my LSAT/G.P.A. afford, because I need the aid.

You don't need to be able to afford a school up-front to attend. The grand majority of applicants have to pay entirely via loans because they don't have the money on-hand to pay for it.

Be very happy that you are lucky enough to have significant holdings, even if you won't be able to access them for years.
Thanks, guys. That is reassuring. I guess I am way off. I'm so confused on how aid works. Fortunately, I never had to depend on aid for my UG (scholarships covered all direct expenses). However, my brother is a Ph.D. student at Stanford and he was denied aid at Stanford when he applied 4 years ago, so I was wondering if its the same situation...
aid and loans are different. If you have a ton of assets you will be able to tap into later in life, I wouldn't be hesitant to take out loans.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:47 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:
itsfine wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:Your parents should pay. Then, you should pay them back. /thread
titcr

theres your answer, you can stop reading this thread op

This is what I have been trying to beg my parents to do...
i wonder if i could swindle my millionaire grandmother who lives in a trailer park and shops at the 99 cent store to do this for me. probably not. sad face.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:49 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

This is the best post in this thread. I don't understand how you folks with parents who actually have a great deal of money can stress about the cost. I mean, does anyone on this thread have the money to pay for a law school up front? Just take your loans like the rest of us, whether they're small or large. Heck, what makes your situations so good is that you could go to the most expensive law school you get accepted to, get crappy loans, and just ask your parents for help later. I'm not really seeing a problem here.

Parents change their minds all the time. If your working as hard as you can and just can't pay the loans after law school, I bet they'll be willing to help you. Ya'll are really blessed...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

je_ne_regrette_rien

New

Post by je_ne_regrette_rien » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:50 pm

fonzerelli wrote:
bluejayk wrote:I mostly answered just so I could tag this thread and read the amusing class-envy from people who respond angrily.
FAIL. I actually think she's relatively poor. I know this because of the "salary" comment. Real weath doesn't involve salaries. That's a working-class consideration, no?

Rockefeller: "Competition is a sin". "Own nothing. Control everything".
Lol. Cute but not true. My grandfather was a duke but even he worked as an architect. In fact, everyone in my family is expected to work. My aunt married a French noble, and he's a lawyer. (And bombards me with crazy advice about the law school admissions process. haha).

Back to my questions...

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm on the FAFSA website now. It says about the Stafford loans:

If you're a graduate or professional degree student, each year you can borrow up to:

* $20,500. No more than $8,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.

Okay. Since I will be getting unsubsidized loans, I can only borrow up to 20k per year? What do you do with the rest? Can you get loans from the universities?

Thank youuuu for putting up with me!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:51 pm

je_ne_regrette_rien wrote:
fonzerelli wrote:
bluejayk wrote:I mostly answered just so I could tag this thread and read the amusing class-envy from people who respond angrily.
FAIL. I actually think she's relatively poor. I know this because of the "salary" comment. Real weath doesn't involve salaries. That's a working-class consideration, no?

Lol. Cute but not true. My grandfather was a duke but even he worked as an architect. In fact, everyone in my family is expected to work. My aunt married a French noble, and he's a lawyer. (And bombards me with crazy advice about the law school admissions process. haha).

Back to my questions...

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm on the FAFSA website now. It says about the Stafford loans:

If you're a graduate or professional degree student, each year you can borrow up to:

Okay. Since I will be getting unsubsidized loans, I can only borrow up to 20k per year? What do you do with the rest? Can you get loans from the universities?

Look up GradPlus loans.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:52 pm

je_ne_regrette_rien wrote:
fonzerelli wrote:

Back to my questions...

Google-grad plus loans

Also, if you're super rich, you will have no problem getting loans for school. Chill

je_ne_regrette_rien

New

Post by je_ne_regrette_rien » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Thanks! I found the grad-plus loans link right after I wrote that entry.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

je_ne_regrette_rien

New

Post by je_ne_regrette_rien » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:01 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

I think someone else said that aid and loans are two different things. It doesn't matter how much money you have in assets, you should still be able to get loans. I don't know your brother's situation though.

And I agree with you... I just don't want my parents to keep paying for me for everything. Obviously, it's convenient, and I'm blessed that I was able to focus on my studies and not worry about how to pay for them... but I realized that I'm really behind my peers when it comes to being "responsible" with money. And I can tell that my boyfriend is worried. =/

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:11 pm

je_ne_regrette_rien wrote:My parents make an obscene amount of money. I don't want them to pay for law school after they forked out half a million dollars for my private schooling + undergrad education (I got into the honors program at my college, but because of my parents' salaries, I wasn't eligible for merit scholarships).

How do you do this whole financial aid business?

Like...where do you start? What should I google? lol

Does everyone who applies for loans automatically get loans, barring those with really horrible credit? Will they see my parents' tax returns and bank statements and force me to pay for law school out of pocket?

Thanks. :oops:
Shut up and take the money. If they make 'an obscene amount of money', then they won't mind paying cash for your education, and you won't have debt when you graduate. So, don't be silly, take the money.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:02 am

billyez wrote:Ya'll

It's spelled y'all.

Shut up, it bothers me.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:20 am

kalvano wrote:

It's spelled y'all.

Shut up, it bothers me.
Native Southerner +1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:32 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
kalvano wrote:

It's spelled y'all.

Shut up, it bothers me.
Native Southerner +1
Texan +1

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:39 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
kalvano wrote:

It's spelled y'all.

Shut up, it bothers me.
Native Southerner +1
+2

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:33 pm

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:45 pm

This is quite the dilemma to have indeed...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:50 pm

je_ne_regrette_rien wrote:My parents make an obscene amount of money. I don't want them to pay for law school after they forked out half a million dollars for my private schooling + undergrad education (I got into the honors program at my college, but because of my parents' salaries, I wasn't eligible for merit scholarships).

How do you do this whole financial aid business?

Like...where do you start? What should I google? lol

Does everyone who applies for loans automatically get loans, barring those with really horrible credit? Will they see my parents' tax returns and bank statements and force me to pay for law school out of pocket?

Thanks. :oops:
Why not just let them pay? If you're a failure in life, they'll just end up paying for your loans and debt anyway. If you succeed, then no harm, no foul. How much character will paying for law school really build when you know in your heart of hearts you have a safety net just waiting to kick in?

BC2010

New

Post by BC2010 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:08 pm

Yeah it's already been said but... take out a zero-interest "loan" from your parents.

That's what I'm doing, and my parents aren't even that loaded (although they don't make a salary so I guess I'm better of then you :lol: ). It just makes more sense: Your parents have a pool of money probably doing shit in the market right now anyway. You take it for a few years and return it in time for them to install the jacuzzi in their summer home when they retire. You're paying something like an extra 40-50k on a 6.8% loan depending on how long it takes you to pay it off.

Also, your parents have probably put a lot of assets in your name by now (you know just in case..) and that will not bode well on your FAFSA.

Thomas Sutpen

New

Post by Thomas Sutpen » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:05 am

thalassocrat wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
kalvano wrote:

It's spelled y'all.

Shut up, it bothers me.
Native Southerner +1
+2
+3 Future pretentious judge who corrects witness' grammar during testimony.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”