Application Portfolio Assistance Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
IVORY19

New

Application Portfolio Assistance

Post by IVORY19 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:11 pm

Hello,

I am looking for help building my application portfolio. I don’t want to apply to more than ten schools because I really want to be able to put in the energy required to develop a unique app for each. I have a very particular idea about what I want to do. Here’s relevant info without giving away too much. I plan to apply in September 2020.

3.6x (low) / 16x (middle of low 160s)
Ethnicity: Mixed White/NA/AA/Other Hispanic
Master’s degree
Multiple leadership positions, collegiate athlete (NCAA D1)
C&F issues (minor misconduct. non-academic, non-criminal)
Currently working in legal field

Here’s what I would like in an ideal world (a federal clerkship is an added bonus):

1. TX biglaw in tax practice.
2. Chicago biglaw in tax practice.
3. TX/Chicago biglaw generally.

I live in a rural part of the Rocky Mountain region and have no ties to TX or Chicago, but I cannot stand the thought of living long-term on the east coast or in a big CA city. Going to law school in one of those places would be fine though.

Thanks for your help!

cavalier1138

Re: Application Portfolio Assistance

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:21 am

I'm not clear on what you're looking for here. But I can give at least one piece of feedback based on what you've said so far:
IVORY19 wrote:I don’t want to apply to more than ten schools because I really want to be able to put in the energy required to develop a unique app for each.
Beyond being entirely pointless, this would be difficult to do, since all law school apps are basically identical. Assuming you qualify as a URM (and it seems like you should), you'll be competitive for the lower T13 with your current numbers. If you can retake into the mid-to-high 160s, that would give you a big boost for admissions and scholarship chances.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”