Can someone *please* explain the "boost" I should expect being a URM? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
brinicolec

Gold

Can someone *please* explain the "boost" I should expect being a URM?

Post by brinicolec » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:40 pm

Sorry if this is a little long:

I know it's not necessarily predictable but even a very general explanation will do; I'm trying to understand where my current stats put me but between being somewhat of a splitter and URM, I'm feeling pretty confused about what schools I can be looking at and exactly how much retaking the LSAT would open doors (minus the obvious $$ vs. no $$ thing).

I've also seen a lot about blanketing T14 as URM but am not sure when exactly ppl recommend that stat-wise.

I know people say to cast a wide net with applications so this is currently my list of potential schools:
Cornell
Georgetown
Northwestern
UT Austin
Emory
GWU
Vanderbilt
UGA
GMU
UF
FSU
UM
Howard (DEFINITE SAFETY)

I'm somewhat of a newbie so I'm not sure what all constitutes as "softs" and I'd assume mine are mediocre. I did things in college, but nothing super spectacular. Will be taking a gap year as well.
Last edited by brinicolec on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T14orTradeSchool

New

Re: Can someone *please* explain the "boost" I should expect being a URM?

Post by T14orTradeSchool » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:32 pm

I think you should cast a wider net upwards. Maybe from CCN down, cost permitting. I say try to get as many fee waivers as possible. and apply to as many T14s as posisble. Numbers in your range are especially unpredictable for URMs, I think. Though I'd say you'd get at least a T14, just hard to tell which, which is why it's important to get a good spread.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:42 pm

T14orTradeSchool wrote:I think you should cast a wider net upwards. Maybe from CCN down, cost permitting. I say try to get as many fee waivers as possible. and apply to as many T14s as posisble. Numbers in your range are especially unpredictable for URMs, I think. Though I'd say you'd get at least a T14, just hard to tell which, which is why it's important to get a good spread.
So basically, you think I should apply to all T14 other than HYS and Columbia?

Also, regarding fee waivers, who exactly do I contact to request those? I'm not in dire need *but am in need! lol* so, based on the LSAC waiver description, I'm assuming I'd have to go straight to the schools. Do I just get in touch with the admissions office? Also, since it's super early, should I wait to request them until it's closer to the beginning of the cycle?

Thanks!

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:49 pm

brinicolec wrote:
T14orTradeSchool wrote:I think you should cast a wider net upwards. Maybe from CCN down, cost permitting. I say try to get as many fee waivers as possible. and apply to as many T14s as posisble. Numbers in your range are especially unpredictable for URMs, I think. Though I'd say you'd get at least a T14, just hard to tell which, which is why it's important to get a good spread.

Also, regarding fee waivers, who exactly do I contact to request those? I'm not in dire need *but am in need! lol* so, based on the LSAC waiver description, I'm assuming I'd have to go straight to the schools. Do I just get in touch with the admissions office? Also, since it's super early, should I wait to request them until it's closer to the beginning of the cycle?

Thanks!
Once the application cycle starts, you will probably receive unprompted fee waivers from most of those schools. Make sure you have the settings/info on LSAC filled out that you agree to accept emails or whatever and with your approx stats + ethnicity. I think from the school end, they send out fee waivers to everyone over certain LSAT scores/GPAs so fill it out. If that doesn't happen before you're ready to fire your application off, just email admissions requesting a fee waiver and you're almost certain to get one.

I agree you should apply to Columbia and down. Remove everything below Vanderbilt from your list except the state schools in your state (and keep Howard if you so desire). People recommend blanketing because URM admissions tend to be more random and unpredictable. No point in missing out on the school that would've accepted you/given the best scholarship. Also helps later for scholarship negotiations purposes.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:20 am

Mullens wrote:Once the application cycle starts, you will probably receive unprompted fee waivers from most of those schools. Make sure you have the settings/info on LSAC filled out that you agree to accept emails or whatever and with your approx stats + ethnicity. I think from the school end, they send out fee waivers to everyone over certain LSAT scores/GPAs so fill it out. If that doesn't happen before you're ready to fire your application off, just email admissions requesting a fee waiver and you're almost certain to get one.

I agree you should apply to Columbia and down. Remove everything below Vanderbilt from your list except the state schools in your state (and keep Howard if you so desire). People recommend blanketing because URM admissions tend to be more random and unpredictable. No point in missing out on the school that would've accepted you/given the best scholarship. Also helps later for scholarship negotiations purposes.
Regarding state schools, that's a little tricky because I guess technically I'm a NC resident but really only for in-state tuition purposes. I was a military brat growing up and am actually about to move out of NC at the end of the month, so I'm assuming I have no state schools at this point? Lol.

Okay so, to be sure I'm understanding correctly, this is my amended list based on your recommendations (excluding schools in Cali and NYC because I have a ferret and they're not legal there :( ) :

Chicago
UPenn
Michigan
UVA
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
Northwestern
UT Austin
Emory
GWU
Vanderbilt

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:35 am

brinicolec wrote:
Mullens wrote:Once the application cycle starts, you will probably receive unprompted fee waivers from most of those schools. Make sure you have the settings/info on LSAC filled out that you agree to accept emails or whatever and with your approx stats + ethnicity. I think from the school end, they send out fee waivers to everyone over certain LSAT scores/GPAs so fill it out. If that doesn't happen before you're ready to fire your application off, just email admissions requesting a fee waiver and you're almost certain to get one.

Regarding state schools, that's a little tricky because I guess technically I'm a NC resident but really only for in-state tuition purposes. I was a military brat growing up and am actually about to move out of NC at the end of the month, so I'm assuming I have no state schools at this point? Lol.

Okay so, to be sure I'm understanding correctly, this is my amended list based on your recommendations (excluding schools in Cali and NYC because I have a ferret and they're not legal there :( ) :

Chicago
UPenn
Michigan
UVA
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
Northwestern
UT Austin
Emory
GWU
Vanderbilt
Not applying to NYC and California because you have a ferret of dumb.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:54 am

Nebby wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Chicago
UPenn
Michigan
UVA
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
Northwestern
UT Austin
Emory
GWU
Vanderbilt
Seems dumber to apply to schools I won't attend because I can't live in the area. Perhaps you're not a pet owner, but I briefly considered selling him or something if I were to get in and realized it would make me unhappy (not that I have to explain to you anyway).

GreekOmega12

Bronze

Post by GreekOmega12 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:20 am

You should apply to all of the t14 (except for yale and stanford). You will get fee waivers from all of them. Good luck on your cycle!

T14orTradeSchool

New

Post by T14orTradeSchool » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:23 am

brinicolec wrote:

Thanks!
I didn't say other than Columbia. If I were in your position, I'd throw an app at Harvard, and apply to Chicago/Columbia/NYU and everywhere up until Cornell, cost permitting. You'll get fee waivers unsolicited closer to app dates, but as was said, if you don't, just reach out to the school with your stats and what kinda URM you are.

You said you don't want to apply to schools in Cali/NY, which is fine, especially if living w/o your pet alters your quality of life, but also realize that those are some great schools you won't be applying to (though there are enough great schools for the taking).

But your list looks good. I'd add three schools. USC and WUSTL for scholarship negotiating purposes. and Harvard. Goodluck.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:00 am

T14orTradeSchool wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Thanks!
I didn't say other than Columbia. If I were in your position, I'd throw an app at Harvard, and apply to Chicago/Columbia/NYU and everywhere up until Cornell, cost permitting. You'll get fee waivers unsolicited closer to app dates, but as was said, if you don't, just reach out to the school with your stats and what kinda URM you are.

You said you don't want to apply to schools in Cali/NY, which is fine, especially if living w/o your pet alters your quality of life, but also realize that those are some great schools you won't be applying to (though there are enough great schools for the taking).

But your list looks good. I'd add three schools. USC and WUSTL for scholarship negotiating purposes. and Harvard. Goodluck.
Yeah, it's probably a strange "therapy pet" to have but he's been quite the cuddle buddy when I've felt down so we have a nice bond. If I didn't have him, I'd probably apply to Cali/NY. I went to NYU for a year and enjoyed the city, just not the undergrad experience at the school.

Thanks for all of your help!

Smibea

New

Post by Smibea » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:53 pm

So applying to New York schools is actually a good idea, for the simple reason that you can easily live in Jersey City, NJ and commute (literally half an hour on the PATH) to NYU law, or live in Fort Lee, NJ and commute to Columbia (again, about a 35 min commute). I completely understand not wanting or being able to give up your pet, but this is something that's doable, as owning ferrets is legal with a permit in NJ, and these two schools are really fantastic and I'd hate for you to not apply.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:09 pm

Smibea wrote:So applying to New York schools is actually a good idea, for the simple reason that you can easily live in Jersey City, NJ and commute (literally half an hour on the PATH) to NYU law, or live in Fort Lee, NJ and commute to Columbia (again, about a 35 min commute). I completely understand not wanting or being able to give up your pet, but this is something that's doable, as owning ferrets is legal with a permit in NJ, and these two schools are really fantastic and I'd hate for you to not apply.
I had wondered about commuting but wasn't sure if it would be a terrible experience however, half an hour isn't too bad. Thank you for the information! That's great too because I do love the city, I just might love my little rascal a bit more lol. *adds Columbia and NYU to my list*

Smibea

New

Post by Smibea » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:14 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Smibea wrote:So applying to New York schools is actually a good idea, for the simple reason that you can easily live in Jersey City, NJ and commute (literally half an hour on the PATH) to NYU law, or live in Fort Lee, NJ and commute to Columbia (again, about a 35 min commute). I completely understand not wanting or being able to give up your pet, but this is something that's doable, as owning ferrets is legal with a permit in NJ, and these two schools are really fantastic and I'd hate for you to not apply.
I had wondered about commuting but wasn't sure if it would be a terrible experience however, half an hour isn't too bad. Thank you for the information! That's great too because I do love the city, I just might love my little rascal a bit more lol. *adds Columbia and NYU to my list*
Sure! One of my friends goes to Stern and commutes from Jersey City. Honestly, most people commute in (from Brooklyn if not from JC), and your commute wouldn't really be much longer than theirs--plus it's a pretty fun place in its own right. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a bunch of classmates living out there simply for financial reasons. Ditto with Fort Lee and Columbia :)

politibro44

New

Post by politibro44 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:46 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Nebby wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Chicago
UPenn
Michigan
UVA
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
Northwestern
UT Austin
Emory
GWU
Vanderbilt
Seems dumber to apply to schools I won't attend because I can't live in the area. Perhaps you're not a pet owner, but I briefly considered selling him or something if I were to get in and realized it would make me unhappy (not that I have to explain to you anyway).
I agree it's not a great reason not to apply. I go to school in California and my classmate has a ferret. Hasn't been an issue for her.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:14 pm

politibro44 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Nebby wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Chicago
UPenn
Michigan
UVA
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
Northwestern
UT Austin
Emory
GWU
Vanderbilt
I agree it's not a great reason not to apply. I go to school in California and my classmate has a ferret. Hasn't been an issue for her.
How in the world is that possible considering that they're illegal? (Unless Cali recently changed their law)

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:26 pm

brinicolec wrote:
politibro44 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Nebby wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Chicago
UPenn
Michigan
UVA
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
Northwestern
UT Austin
Emory
GWU
Vanderbilt
How in the world is that possible considering that they're illegal? (Unless Cali recently changed their law)
... You are either very naive or just trolling us

There isn't a secret police service that executes random search warrants looking for illegal pets. I guarantee nyc alone has thousands of pet ferrets

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:32 pm

I'd say between 5 and 10 PSI...

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:05 pm

Nebby wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
politibro44 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Nebby wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Chicago
UPenn
Michigan
UVA
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
Northwestern
UT Austin
Emory
GWU
Vanderbilt
... You are either very naive or just trolling us

There isn't a secret police service that executes random search warrants looking for illegal pets. I guarantee nyc alone has thousands of pet ferrets
I'm neither. That just doesn't seem realistic for someone that lives in an apartment because you'd never be able to have apartment managers or anything come to your place if they needed to.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:58 pm

Okay. I think it would be very easy to do, and guarantee hundreds of people make it work. And NYU/CLS are both great schools you may get into, and I think your aversion is silly

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:13 pm

Nebby wrote:Okay. I think it would be very easy to do, and guarantee hundreds of people make it work. And NYU/CLS are both great schools you may get into, and I think your aversion is silly

I've already said I'd add those two to my list and perhaps just live in Jersey.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:14 pm

plz edit poast title to "FERET HUNTER HUNTING FOR SCHOOLS: PLZ GIVE STATE SPECIFIC FERET LAWS PER SCHOOL"

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:19 pm

hahahha holy shit this is amazing. Ferret based school choosing is 180

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:37 pm

barkschool wrote:plz edit poast title to "FERET HUNTER HUNTING FOR SCHOOLS: PLZ GIVE STATE SPECIFIC FERET LAWS PER SCHOOL"
Actually, I'm aware of the ferret laws for states so I don't need your state-specific advice on that. In fact, I didn't ask for anyone's advice regarding my decision to keep my ferret while in law school to begin with.

cannonballer

Bronze

Post by cannonballer » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:36 am

I used to live in an apartment with a roommate who had two ferrets in SF, it was never an issue. Not encouraging you to break the law, but I'm just saying it's not a revolutionary concept.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:39 am

I get that cycles for AAs can be unpredictable, which is why it is important to apply to several t14 schools. However, I thought the region you would like to practice law in or the region where you have strong ties to mattered the most. Would it make sense for someone who lives in Cali to apply to UT, Duke, Virginia, and etc?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”