2013-2014 URM Cycle Results - IN/OUT/WL Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
applelover

Gold

2013-2014 URM Cycle Results - IN/OUT/WL

Post by applelover » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:45 am

Hey everyone!

I figured I would start this thread early as some of you have already heard from most schools and are awaiting word from a few more. I’m also starting this early because as the cycle progresses some may choose to go M.I.A. from TLS after hearing positive news from their dream law school. I’m hoping the majority of us participate in this thread before leaving TLS. It will prove an invaluable resource for the next generation of URM law school applicants to follow.

As the completion of my cycle is still pending, I will withhold information on my own full stats until further notice. My results to date are captured in the subsequent post. Please feel free to post your results now and update them later. Please also provide any approaches you utilized that proved beneficial to you this application season.

Thank you in advance for your contributions! This URM cycle was one of the most active in years. I’m quite happy to share this journey with you!

AAJD2B

Silver

Re: 2013-2014 URM Cycle Results - IN/OUT/WL

Post by AAJD2B » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:46 am

Type of URM: AA/Afro-Caribbean Female
GPA:
LSAT:
Softs: 7 years work experience in banking/legal settings; leadership roles on various committees and undergrad student organizations, first-generation college graduate
Advice: Apply early. This starts with taking the LSAT the year before you apply or at the latest, by June/July of your application year. I regret this decision because a few of my applications are still in “complete” status this late in the game. By applying earlier, you have more time on your hands to plan Admitted Student Days/Weekends ahead of time and if need be, secure housing.

Also, do not think that your low numbers may keep you out of the running. Quite a few schools take the “holistic” approach to applications. Bring to light your unique work or life experiences in your statements. Two law schools took the time to make mention of my personal statement in both phone conversation and the acceptance letter.

IN
Cornell
Michigan
Northwestern
Vanderbilt ($$)
William & Mary ($)
WUSTL ($)

OUT
Harvard
Berkeley
Duke

WAITLISTED
Columbia
Penn
Last edited by AAJD2B on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Type of URM: AA
GPA: 4.0
LSAT: 167-172
Softs: Several internships and a lot of leadership experience
Advice: I would also advise everyone to apply early. I think the October LSAT should be your retake if needed and not your first time taking the LSAT. Take it in February or June, so that you can spend the rest of your summer getting applications ready and writing your statements. All my apps except for Chicago and Berkeley were in and complete by the middle of October, so I heard back earlier.

Also, taking the LSAT earlier allows you to receive fee waivers earlier. I received fee waivers from every school I applied to except Stanford, Harvard, and Berkeley.

Finally, attend the LSAC Law School Forums if you can. I connected with some great admissions representatives who I later emailed and followed up with, so that might or might not have helped. It definitely didn't hurt me though.

Attending
The University of Chicago Law School

In
Duke
Georgetown
UCLA
Berkeley
Stanford
Harvard
USC $$$
Emory $$$
Vanderbilt $$$
Penn
NYU $$
UVA $$$
Columbia
Cornell
Chicago $$$

Out

Waitlisted

Waiting On
Last edited by applelover on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:43 am, edited 15 times in total.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks Apple!

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:25 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Thanks Apple!
No Problem. I'm still adding stuff. My iPhone just keeps freezing.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:28 pm

I'll edit this post with all my information once my cycle is over. I'll most likely be riding out some waitlists so I'll update at the end of summer at the latest.

abdcefjj

New

Post by abdcefjj » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:28 am

URM type: AA

LSAT: 167
GPA: 3.67

IN
Northeastern
UCLA
Berkeley
Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Stanford
Duke
Georgetown

I was accepted everywhere I applied which is...pretty cool :)

I have no advice except to do what everyone else says in these threads and shoot for the stars. Also, use them fee waivers--I only paid full application fees for Harvard and Stanford. And do optional responses--I did a little video for Georgetown that was actually pretty fun.

And when you get to your top law school, don't for one second believe that what might be lower test scores or GPA in anyway delegitimizes your right to be there. I wasted the first two years of undergrad feeling really inadequate and that I was just an affirmative action hire and all that BS, and it really affected my self-confidence and thus my GPA. But once I got over it, my GPA increased exponentially, and things I had only dreamed of before (graduating with honors, getting straights As in a semester) became a reality.

Don't sweat about how or why you got there and just ignore the haters (because I am sure there will be many). We have all been given an immense opportunity, and we should be spending our time in law school thinking how to use that opportunity for good rather than defending why we got it.

{Things I'm telling myself in preparation for when the waves of self-doubt hit}

Tariffs

New

Post by Tariffs » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Type of URM: Half AA
GPA: 3.46
LSAT: 172
Softs: Summer internships (one in government, one at a law firm), leadership positions in various clubs.
Advice: Aim to sit for the June LSAT as your first take and the October as a retake if it proves necessary. Never settle just because of your URM status; always retake. The dearth of URMs with an LSAT over 170 is absurd, so use that to your advantage. If anyone wants advice on my own study method/materials feel free to PM me, but I doubt they're much different from the conventional wisdom you'll see posted on the LSAT Prep forum or from posters with higher scores than my own.

Also, given how my cycle has played out with WLs, major in whatever's easy and start early. I was pretty lost my freshman year and my GPA suffered for it, plus it's difficult to get higher than an A- in my majors at my university so even getting my GPA to where it is now has been difficult. But that was clearly the weak point of my applications, and the only reason I can see for sitting on so many WLs right now.

Applied around 11/23 to every school except UCLA, which I sent in a month after all the others. I'll update my list of schools as I hear back, but for now:

In
Columbia
NYU ($$)
Berkeley
UVA ($$$)
Northwestern
Cornell
Georgetown
GW ($$$)
Fordham ($$$)

Out
Harvard (not even a JS1)

Waitlisted
Duke
Penn
UCLA
Chicago

Waiting On
Stanford
Michigan
Last edited by Tariffs on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:57 pm

URM: MA Male
LSAT: 168, 173
GPA: 3.9x
Everything else is average to meh.

I applied late so have only heard back from UCLA so far. Will update the rest as it comes in.

In
UCLA (Full Ride)
Berkeley
Stanford ($)
Duke ($$$)
Penn
Harvard

Waitlisted
UVA
Georgetown

Yet to hear back
Michigan
NYU
Columbia
Chicago
Last edited by aboutmydaylight on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

blackbirdfly

Bronze

Post by blackbirdfly » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:17 pm

GPA: 3.8X
Softs: Above average

ATTENDING
Harvard

IN
Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia $$$
Chicago $$$
New York $$
Penn
Virginia $$$
Berkeley $$$
Michigan $$$
Duke
Cornell
Northwestern
Georgetown
Texas $$
Vanderbilt $$$
UCLA
Last edited by blackbirdfly on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 10 times in total.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Type of URM: AA male
GPA: 3.7-ish
LSAT: Low
Advice: Take the LSAT until you get a higher score

IN
Duke
George Washington
Howard

WAITLISTED
Emory
Northwestern

OUT
Harvard
Chicago
Berkeley
UCLA
USC
NYU
Last edited by jacketyellow on Thu May 08, 2014 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

nabadgelyo

Bronze

Post by nabadgelyo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:52 pm

LSAT: TBA
GPA: TBA
Advice: Apply early, take the LSAT very seriously, and make sure you submit the best possible personal statement/diversity statement/250, even if it sucks up time and takes dozens of drafts, it's worth it.

IN
Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia $
Michigan $
NYU$
Duke
Vanderbilt
Berkeley
Northwestern
Chicago$

(Note that $ is for all amounts. I received some partial and full scholarships, pm for deets)
Last edited by nabadgelyo on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

ttime97

New

Post by ttime97 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:29 pm

GPA: 3.8+
LSAT: 165-169
Applied: Early-Mid November
Softs: Internships in DC, quite a few leadership positions
Advice: I think the one thing that helped me this cycle is having a very clear reason for why I wanted to go to law school.

Also, I was scoring in the low 170's on PTs before I took the LSAT so even though I didn't retake (took in Oct.), if you take the LSAT in June and were doing better I would just retake it. It makes you feel a lot more secure about your app. Even after getting into some amazing schools, it's one thing I regret since I know I could do better. Don't retake - apply and see what happens! The LSAT is just a stepping stone (and it took me a while to realize that...).

In
UCLA $$$
Georgetown $$
George Washington $$$
Berkeley
NYU $$
UVA (Dillard)
Yale
Columbia (Butler)
Stanford
Harvard
Chicago (Ruby)

Out

Waitlisted
Penn
Michigan

And my cycle is over! Good luck to everyone!
Last edited by ttime97 on Tue May 13, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 pm

ttime97 wrote:Type of URM: AA
GPA: 3.8+
LSAT: 165-169
Softs: Internships in DC, quite a few leadership positions
Advice: I think the one thing that helped me this cycle is having a very clear reason for why I wanted to go to law school.

Also, I was scoring in the low 170's on PTs before I took the LSAT so even though I didn't retake (took in Oct.), if you take the LSAT in June and were doing better I would just retake it. It makes you feel a lot more secure about your app. Even after getting into some amazing schools, it's one thing I regret since I know I could do better.

In
UCLA $
Georgetown
George Washington $
Berkeley
NYU
UVA
Yale
Columbia $
Stanford
Harvard

Out

Waitlisted
Penn
Michigan

Waiting On
Chicago
Wow, you swept HYS! Major congrats! And who cares about the LSAT now? LSAC can take their test and shove it.

ttime97

New

Post by ttime97 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Lol - thanks Peeta! I guess I'm still stuck on the LSAT reflects how well you'll do in law school thing. I'm not concerned but...I wonder.

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:09 pm

ttime97 wrote:Lol - thanks Peeta! I guess I'm still stuck on the LSAT reflects how well you'll do in law school thing. I'm not concerned but...I wonder.
http://youtu.be/_7_xHsce57c?t=14m54s

According to psychometricians: "16% of your first year GPA is determined by the test. 84% is attributable to other factors (how much you like law schools, how much you study, whether you get along with your colleagues, whether you're having fights with your loved ones...)"

When the above is combined with the fact that you already have a 165-169 score (higher than at least 99.5% of AAs) and have already swept Harvard, Yale AND Stanford (the holy trinity of law schools everyone else is shooting for), your concern/wonder regarding your old LSAT score begins to look entirely unwarranted. The fact that you give it any thought at all is surprising - it doesn't deserve any of your energy at this point. It certainly shouldn't fill you with any doubts about your ability to excel at any of the law schools you've gotten into.

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:19 am

Futuregohan14 wrote:
ttime97 wrote:Lol - thanks Peeta! I guess I'm still stuck on the LSAT reflects how well you'll do in law school thing. I'm not concerned but...I wonder.

According to psychometricians: "16% of your first year GPA is determined by the test. 84% is attributable to other factors (how much you like law schools, how much you study, whether you get along with your colleagues, whether you're having fights with your loved ones...)"

When the above is combined with the fact that you already have a 165-169 score (higher than at least 99.5% of AAs) and have already swept Harvard, Yale AND Stanford (the holy trinity of law schools everyone else is shooting for), your concern/wonder regarding your old LSAT score begins to look entirely unwarranted. The fact that you give it any thought at all is surprising - it doesn't deserve any of your energy at this point. It certainly shouldn't fill you with any doubts about your ability to excel at any of the law schools you've gotten into.
+1

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:50 am

Tariffs wrote:Type of URM: Half AA
GPA: 3.46
Softs: Summer internships (one in government, one at a law firm), leadership positions in various clubs.
Advice: Aim to sit for the June LSAT as your first take and the October as a retake if it proves necessary. Never settle just because of your URM status; always retake. The dearth of URMs with an LSAT over 170 is absurd, so use that to your advantage. If anyone wants advice on my own study method/materials feel free to PM me, but I doubt they're much different from the conventional wisdom you'll see posted on the LSAT Prep forum or from posters with higher scores than my own.

I'll update my list of schools as I hear back, but for now:

In
NYU ($$)
Berkeley
UVA
Northwestern
Cornell
Georgetown
GW ($$$)
Fordham ($$$)

Out
Harvard

Waitlisted
Duke
Penn
UCLA

Waiting On
Stanford
Columbia
Chicago (just interviewed)
Michigan
Thanks Tariff!
Do u mind updating when u applied and did u interview with HLS?

ttime97

New

Post by ttime97 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:26 pm

August Wilson wrote:
Futuregohan14 wrote:

+1
You're absolutely right. It's done and now I need to figure out where I'm going! Thanks for posting the link to the video.

Tariffs

New

Post by Tariffs » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Black_Swan wrote:Thanks Tariff! Do u mind updating when u applied and did u interview with HLS?
Updated my post.

alllaweverything

New

Post by alllaweverything » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:44 pm

GPA:3.6X
LSAT: upper 160s
Softs: several years WE, public interest and governmental internships in undergrad
Advice: apply early! i'm living with no regrets, but i wish i would have been able to push my apps out in november at the latest. applied everywhere (except yale - the 250 had me down to the wire) in early january.

IN
Duke
Georgetown
NYU $$
Columbia $$
Stanford
Cornell
Penn $$$
Harvard - attending
UVA $$$ (Dillard)

OUT
Berkeley
Yale

WAITLISTED
Michigan
UChicago
Last edited by alllaweverything on Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:40 am

[quote="alllaweverything"]Type of URM: AA

Thanks for the post! Do u guys mind updating with approximate dates u applied?

alllaweverything

New

Post by alllaweverything » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:35 am

Black_Swan wrote:
alllaweverything wrote:Type of URM: AA

no problem! i just updated my post - i applied in early january

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:11 pm

alllaweverything wrote:
Black_Swan wrote:
alllaweverything wrote:Type of URM: AA

no problem! i just updated my post - i applied in early january
This is very helpful thanks!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:38 am

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”