AA male URM 151(cannot retake) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BlaqBella

Silver

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Post by BlaqBella » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:23 am

OP, have you sent out your apps to Vandy, GW and William & Mary yet?? If not, get on it!

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:27 am

rad lulz wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
Nova wrote:
mrbrock wrote: I'd rather go where I won't collect debt and have a strong shot at finishing in the top 10%.

Guess what... your logic is ttterrible.

Odds are you wont renew your scholarship after the first year. Much less be in the top 10%.
No need to be insulting, Nova. Not all of us are gunners like most of TLS. Some are completely satisfied with getting full scholarships to attend any law school, job prospects be damned.
That's retarded.
It's reality. T3s, T4s and unaccredited law schools exist because there are students willing to attend these schools, whether with or without fully schollys. Moreover, not all circumstances are the same.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:54 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
Nova wrote:
Guess what... your logic is ttterrible.

Odds are you wont renew your scholarship after the first year. Much less be in the top 10%.
No need to be insulting, Nova. Not all of us are gunners like most of TLS. Some are completely satisfied with getting full scholarships to attend any law school, job prospects be damned.
That's retarded.
It's reality. T3s, T4s and unaccredited law schools exist because there are students willing to attend these schools, whether with or without fully schollys. Moreover, not all circumstances are the same.
Just calling it how it is.

Im taking exams right now and I have studied my ass off all year, and I have no idea if I will finish above median. To go in assuming youll retain a TTT scholarship (usually harsher than above median to maintain) is a terrible idea.

Granted, youre right, I could defintely have been nice about it, and written a longer answer... but im on a short fuse at the moment.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:00 pm

Nova wrote:Just calling it how it is.

Im taking exams right now and I have studied my ass off all year, and I have no idea if I will finish above median. To go in assuming youll retain a TTT scholarship (usually harsher than above median to maintain) is a terrible idea.

Granted, youre right, I could defintely have been nice about it, and written a longer answer... but im on a short fuse at the moment.
Hey, its almost over. Best wishes and thanks for your contributions. Always greatly appreciated! :)

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:31 pm

BlaqBella wrote:OP, have you sent out your apps to Vandy, GW and William & Mary yet?? If not, get on it!
Sorry for not being active on my own thread. Was really busy and for some reason TLS didn't send me an email there were responses on the thread.

re: GW/Vandy/W&M: I plan to. I working really hard to send ALL my (20 some...) apps by tonight (i.e prob around 5am or an hour before adcomms get to the office :roll:)

My list is super long.

Re: the guy who said I should apply to TTT or TTTT schools: I appreciate your help but I have no interest in going to a school in an area I have no desire to live in. I am not saying by any means that schools in the 30s or below or even some schools in the 20s are not regional, but they are in areas I wouldnt mind working and living in (for example, I would gladly spend years in Chapel Hill or the Raleigh area if I go to UNC and can't find biglaw in NYC/DC etc.)
re. your comment about going somewhere as a pity party (paraphrasing on that): dude, it's my future, this is no time for ego or for some pride over what will a random adcomm would think about me when they hit or stamp "ADMIT". I truly don't care. does that make me pride-less? maybe. but I'd rather suck it up and graduated from a better ranked school (amid more debt, but that's a different story/debate) than stay with my pride or ego.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:06 pm

Update:

Started sending my apps today.

So far to:
BU, BC, WashU, W&L, Vandy, Cardozo, Tulane, UCLA, Cornell, UMin, UMich, Georgetown and GW.

Most are already received, W&L went complete in 5 hrs or so.

A pretty random list I know. I also know that ill 99.99(999) percent get rejected from all the higher ranked schools but since I have an LSAC fee waiver I decided to blanket schools from all over the rankings. I assume I'll throw in more applications. I rather loose $200 in report fees for the complete off chance some adcomm would really like me. Believing never hurt anyone :)

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:08 am

JayJones78 wrote:Update:

Started sending my apps today.

So far to:
BU, BC, WashU, W&L, Vandy, Cardozo, Tulane, UCLA, Cornell, UMin, UMich, Georgetown and GW.

Most are already received, W&L went complete in 5 hrs or so.

A pretty random list I know. I also know that ill 99.99(999) percent get rejected from all the higher ranked schools but since I have an LSAC fee waiver I decided to blanket schools from all over the rankings. I assume I'll throw in more applications. I rather loose $200 in report fees for the complete off chance some adcomm would really like me. Believing never hurt anyone :)
Update #2
Also applied to a few more schools, I can post the list if it is of interest o anyone. Most of my apps (18 now) are received and some are complete.

I am wondering if to send apps to ND and W&M?

(Just to remind, I have an LSAC fee waiver so I'm just casting a hugely wide net since doing so $ wise is relatively small).

Thanks for all the great help I got here!!

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:50 pm

BlaqBella wrote:No need to be insulting, Nova. Not all of us are gunners like most of TLS. Some are completely satisfied with getting full scholarships to attend any law school, job prospects be damned.
Wow, even though on TLS we are constantly deluged with people proposing to pay sticker at T3/4s with bad placement and we hear a lot of 'I'm not worried about finding a job bc I will hustle and be in the top 10% of the class,' I think this is the first time I have actually seen someone baldly say 'job prospects be damned' (ignoring the independent wealthy). I don't know whether to commend you for finally saying what everyone is secretly thinking or to smack you over the proverbial head.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:13 pm

mrbrock wrote:Honestly, I find your initial statement ironic. First, I have 3.6 gpa and 151 LSAT. I applied to exactly 12 schools this fall and heard back from 10 so far. And all were acceptances. Full tuition scholarship offers from Akron, Toledo, FAMU, JM Atl, Ave Maria, Charlotte...OKC law=$20k/yr, Mercer unv= $20k/yr., Full tuition plus room and board @ Southwestern. Full tuition plus 15k/yr with option to start in Jan @ J.M chi. only two outstanding apps are my top 2 choices: Howard and Rutgers Newark...I believe you're applying to the wrong tier schools, plus you've taken the lsat too many times, with 2 they'll usually take the higher but with three or more or test taken in consecutive dates, they'll average them! this is why I stuck with the low lsat and wrote a letter of explanation. As for the tier of schools, why beg and cry your way just to be treated as some sort of affirmative action candidate? I'd rather go where I won't collect debt and have a strong shot at finishing in the top 10%.
This is idiotic because it's not only TTT logic but also something that runs the risk of negatively influencing readers to the extent that they get screwed by shitty employability in this shitty market. Don't listen to his/her advice; the bolded is factually completely false.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:38 pm

Suralin wrote:
mrbrock wrote:Honestly, I find your initial statement ironic. First, I have 3.6 gpa and 151 LSAT. I applied to exactly 12 schools this fall and heard back from 10 so far. And all were acceptances. Full tuition scholarship offers from Akron, Toledo, FAMU, JM Atl, Ave Maria, Charlotte...OKC law=$20k/yr, Mercer unv= $20k/yr., Full tuition plus room and board @ Southwestern. Full tuition plus 15k/yr with option to start in Jan @ J.M chi. only two outstanding apps are my top 2 choices: Howard and Rutgers Newark...I believe you're applying to the wrong tier schools, plus you've taken the lsat too many times, with 2 they'll usually take the higher but with three or more or test taken in consecutive dates, they'll average them! this is why I stuck with the low lsat and wrote a letter of explanation. As for the tier of schools, why beg and cry your way just to be treated as some sort of affirmative action candidate? I'd rather go where I won't collect debt and have a strong shot at finishing in the top 10%.
This is idiotic because it's not only TTT logic but also something that runs the risk of negatively influencing readers to the extent that they get screwed by shitty employability in this shitty market. Don't listen to his/her advice; the bolded is factually completely false.
Thanks for this. I wrote a few posts back what I think about the TTT advice. It doesn't work for me. I am not going to judge others who will take full tuition in a TTT or TTTT school if that's what they think they should do. I have conviction in my app and my ability to preform well.

At the end of the day, I am willing to make some sacrifices but some are out of the question.
I'll happily go to UNC or to UMin or to W&L or another 20s mid 40s school in a market where I'd be happy to work in if I don't find a better job outside of it. But I won't go to a TTT/T school just in order to go to law school. That makes no sense to me. If all fails and I don't get onto ANY of the 20 some schools I applied to, I'll just take it as a sign and sit out, study (again....) for the LSAT and retake it in dec 2013 (something that at this point I truly don't have any desire to do).

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:02 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Thanks for this. I wrote a few posts back what I think about the TTT advice. It doesn't work for me. I am not going to judge others who will take full tuition in a TTT or TTTT school if that's what they think they should do. I have conviction in my app and my ability to preform well.

At the end of the day, I am willing to make some sacrifices but some are out of the question.
I'll happily go to UNC or to UMin or to W&L or another 20s mid 40s school in a market where I'd be happy to work in if I don't find a better job outside of it. But I won't go to a TTT/T school just in order to go to law school. That makes no sense to me. If all fails and I don't get onto ANY of the 20 some schools I applied to, I'll just take it as a sign and sit out, study (again....) for the LSAT and retake it in dec 2013 (something that at this point I truly don't have any desire to do).
Agree with the bolded, it makes sense. Good luck!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Good luck to you OP!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:36 pm

spleenworship wrote:Good luck to you OP!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:40 pm

spleenworship wrote:Good luck to you OP!
Thank you!!

I intentionally applied to schools from across a really wide range. The only t14 I applied to are NW ( to their AJD prog), UMich summer start, Cornell and GULC. The last 3 are huge long short but NW may work because I have 8 plus years of WE, had a good on campus interview and that prog has very limited number of applicants and the numbers are way lower.

Other than that, I am just hoping for the best :)

I can give the full list of schools I'm applying to (22...) if that is of interest to anyone here.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:42 pm

JayJones78 wrote: I can give the full list of schools I'm applying to (22...) if that is of interest to anyone here.
Have you considered making an LSN account?

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Nova wrote:
JayJones78 wrote: I can give the full list of schools I'm applying to (22...) if that is of interest to anyone here.
Have you considered making an LSN account?
I have one :)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/OutWest81

I already got a few nasty (trolly) comments there that I deleted so I was hasitent if to give it out here

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:49 pm

NW could be a possibility for you. Keep us updated.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:34 pm

spleenworship wrote:NW could be a possibility for you. Keep us updated.
Thanks. It's by far my biggest reach school but my profile perfectly fits their criteria. I'm hopefull because of the prog's relatively lower numbers and amount of applicants (they had around 100 applicants last year)

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:49 pm

LOL what? This is one of the worst posts I've seen on TLS.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:14 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Thanks. It's by far my biggest reach school but my profile perfectly fits their criteria. I'm hopefull because of the prog's relatively lower numbers and amount of applicants (they had around 100 applicants last year)
You incorrectly spelled the word 'private' on your LSN profile.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:35 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
You incorrectly spelled the word 'private' on your LSN profile.
Corrected. Thanks! :oops:

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:37 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
LOL what? This is one of the worst posts I've seen on TLS.
I gave my opinion for this a few posts back. It's def not how I see my admission cycle. But to each their own and good luck to him/her

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:12 am

Update:
First rejection this morning from UMin over email. I wrote this on my LSN page:
Although kind of sad, it was never a school I really desired to go to and I applied there as an option and since I did not send money on app fee. I do believe however, that I will receive similar rejections along these lines from other schools in similar ranking since even with a URM 'boost' my LSAT is still very low. Well, onward and upwards. Let's see how it continues...

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Although kind of sad, it was never a school I really desired to go to and I applied there as an option and since I did not send money on app fee. I do believe however, that I will receive similar rejections along these lines from other schools in similar ranking since even with a URM 'boost' my LSAT is still very low. Well, onward and upwards. Let's see how it continues...
Brush that dirt off your shoulder and keep it moving. Thanks for the update. :)

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:53 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
Brush that dirt off your shoulder and keep it moving. Thanks for the update. :)
Thank you! It was still a little upsetting getting a rejection as the first response from a school :oops:

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”