Hispanics Who Have Been Through the App Process Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
pandorasfox

New

Re: Hispanics Who Have Been Through the App Process

Post by pandorasfox » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:56 am

blackwater88 wrote:
pandorasfox wrote:I have really no idea how much being a URM effects your chances, but I was just fooling around with a LS prediction calc, and clicking "URM" increased the numbers in my favor dramatically.

I'm Dominican (born in DR, a USA citizen, & bilingual), haven't taken the LSAT yet but I've been getting around 169-175 on LSAT preptests (timed and official) & my gpa is 3.9.
Does anyone have any thoughts on how being Dominican is going to impact my applications this fall? Lots of people have said that Mexicans & PRicans get the bigger boosts in the Hispanic area...

Is being Dominican gonna boost my applications?
Flame
yeah- um
except i'm definately not a flame... those are really my stats.

pandorasfox

New

Post by pandorasfox » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:59 am

pandorasfox wrote:
blackwater88 wrote:
pandorasfox wrote:I have really no idea how much being a URM effects your chances, but I was just fooling around with a LS prediction calc, and clicking "URM" increased the numbers in my favor dramatically.

I'm Dominican (born in DR, a USA citizen, & bilingual), haven't taken the LSAT yet but I've been getting around 169-175 on LSAT preptests (timed and official) & my gpa is 3.9.
Does anyone have any thoughts on how being Dominican is going to impact my applications this fall? Lots of people have said that Mexicans & PRicans get the bigger boosts in the Hispanic area...

Is being Dominican gonna boost my applications?
Flame
yeah- um
Actually- oops- i did lie a little. I meant "untimed", not "timed" regarding my pts.

blackwater88

Bronze

Post by blackwater88 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 am

yeah- um
With those numbers boost or no boost is irrelevant, you know that (If you do manage to score in the 170s of course). In case you're not a flame, see above posts.

pandorasfox

New

Post by pandorasfox » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:12 am

blackwater88 wrote:
yeah- um
With those numbers boost or no boost is irrelevant, you know that (If you do manage to score in the 170s of course). In case you're not a flame, see above posts.

Yeah, i read 'em. They were great, but again i'm seeing two conflicting issues regarding the Hispanic URM thing (being that youre either mexican, pr, AA or NA to qualify, or that being hispanic doesn't even count) I also heard from an Asian friend of mine in law school currently that Asian, and Hispanic don't even count anymore.

I've taken 6 PTs and 3 of my raw scores were above 170 (175 being the best) but Im actually anticipating getting somewhere around a 166-169 on the actual LSAT because I have really really REALLY bad testing anxiety. If I got a 170+ on test day I'd probably die of shock before getting to apply anywhere. I'm working on trying to tame my nerves but... you know...

I'm also curious about the boost because I don't have any outstanding "softs" but I have really high goals for what schools I want to go to...

blackwater88

Bronze

Post by blackwater88 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:33 am

pandorasfox wrote:
blackwater88 wrote:
yeah- um

Yeah, i read 'em. They were great, but again i'm seeing two conflicting issues regarding the Hispanic URM thing (being that youre either mexican, pr, AA or NA to qualify, or that being hispanic doesn't even count) I also heard from an Asian friend of mine in law school currently that Asian, and Hispanic don't even count anymore.

I've taken 6 PTs and 3 of my raw scores were above 170 (175 being the best) but Im actually anticipating getting somewhere around a 166-169 on the actual LSAT because I have really really REALLY bad testing anxiety. If I got a 170+ on test day I'd probably die of shock before getting to apply anywhere. I'm working on trying to tame my nerves but... you know...

I'm also curious about the boost because I don't have any outstanding "softs" but I have really high goals for what schools I want to go to...
I've never heard of Asians counting, if anything they should be considered ORMs.
Like I told the other poster, you might get a boost, you might not, honestly most of the advise given on these forums is mere speculation. If you do that would be great, sometimes I wonder why Central Americans or other Latin Americans in the Caribbean don't get a boost. Heck, Guatemala and Honduras have it worse than does Mexico, it probably has to do with the fact that there aren't that many of them to begin with to make the argument that they are not well represented in law school compared to their percentage of the population. By the way, since you're from Republica Dominicana I'll ask, are you of African descent?

pandorasfox

New

Post by pandorasfox » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:13 am

blackwater88 wrote:
pandorasfox wrote:
blackwater88 wrote:
yeah- um

I've never heard of Asians counting, if anything they should be considered ORMs.
Like I told the other poster, you might get a boost, you might not, honestly most of the advise given on these forums is mere speculation. If you do that would be great, sometimes I wonder why Central Americans or other Latin Americans in the Caribbean don't get a boost. Heck, Guatemala and Honduras have it worse than does Mexico, it probably has to do with the fact that there aren't that many of them to begin with to make the argument that they are not well represented in law school compared to their percentage of the population. By the way, since you're from Republica Dominicana I'll ask, are you of African descent?
LOL @ the ORM thing. That's what I told my friend (who didn't find it funny :P )
and I think youre right- the URM boost #s come from the representation of that group in the US vs their rep in law schools, so central americans are def under-repped, but maybe not in terms of their actual population in the states... who knows? like u said- it's all speculation.

To answer your question: No considerable african descent, like 1/32 haitian/african. I actually just did an in-depth family history project for a class and learned that I'm 4 generations full Dominican, and before that, I'm all European (Spanish, French and Italian). Oddly, I have a fairly tan complexion (think Rosario Dawson color), my mom & brothers are caucasian-looking... my dad is slightly darker...

Either way, I def look more ethnic than I feel. I've lived in north NJ for most of my life so culturally, I identify with most white, middle class, americans because that's what i've grown up with...

Nola

New

Post by Nola » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:35 am

anonymomex wrote:
Nola wrote:I actually talked to my mother last night who said that her mom was actually half Mexican. Unfortunately, I do not know a lot about that side of my family as I am the first generation on my mom's side of the family born in the US and my mother doesn't really talk about it very much (which infuriates me). So I am going to check both Central American and Mexican American on my LSAC account. Thanks for all of the help.

Please do not lie on your application about being Mexican-American. It is obvious that had this whole URM-question not arisen you would had not found out(or possibly cared) about your half-Mexican grandmother's roots. Besides how are you going to explain to Character and Fitness once you graduate that your are Mexican-American. I would imagine that it will be very hard for you to prove your claimed "heritage." Last thing you want is to go through law school and not be able to practice law. Anyway, retake your LSAT and leave the URM boost to true URMS.

Well...I am not lying if my grandmother is 1/2 Mexican. How exactly is that lying? I will explain that my grandmother is half Mexican and half Honduran. That isn't a lie. I also have a white father and I'll explain that as well. Personally, I think the whole URM thing is a little unfair but I will use every arrow in my quiver to make the best case possible to each law school. That is what any good lawyer would do.

christinalsat

Bronze

Post by christinalsat » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:59 pm

I'm half Central American (born in Guatemala, grew up in the U.S. -- and yes, Guatemala has it a helluva lot worse than Mexico) and have basically dedicated the past four years of my professional life to fighting the the fight on immigration. Will that help me? I got a 167/3.89 and am trying to figure out where to apply. Would love to make the t-14, specifically NYU, Berkeley, UCLA, UPenn or UT. Advice?

blackwater88

Bronze

Post by blackwater88 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:10 pm

christinalsat wrote:I'm half Central American (born in Guatemala, grew up in the U.S. -- and yes, Guatemala has it a helluva lot worse than Mexico) and have basically dedicated the past four years of my professional life to fighting the the fight on immigration. Will that help me? I got a 167/3.89 and am trying to figure out where to apply. Would love to make the t-14, specifically NYU, Berkeley, UCLA, UPenn or UT. Advice?
If you were born in Guatemala, what's your other half?

christinalsat

Bronze

Post by christinalsat » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:42 pm

One of my parents is American/European, the other is 100% Guatemalan. I've always identified as Latina though -- the culture (and genes for that matter) dominated.

archlinux

New

Post by archlinux » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 pm

Is there a consensus on which latino group receives the most "boost"?

I have legitimate claims to being both Mexican (born there + one half of family) and Spanish (other half of my family). Should I notate both? One? Pros/cons to each?

blackwater88

Bronze

Post by blackwater88 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:16 pm

archlinux wrote:Is there a consensus on which latino group receives the most "boost"?

I have legitimate claims to being both Mexican (born there + one half of family) and Spanish (other half of my family). Should I notate both? One? Pros/cons to each?

Please use the search button before you ask any questions. Mexican and Puerto Rican are pretty much the Latin American groups that are considered URMs. Claim whichever one you feel most comfortably with, both if you like.

blackwater88

Bronze

Post by blackwater88 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:17 pm

christinalsat wrote:One of my parents is American/European, the other is 100% Guatemalan. I've always identified as Latina though -- the culture (and genes for that matter) dominated.
I would say you have a pretty good chance at T14, but it's not a sure thing. Apply to some T30 also just to be sure. Would be surprised if you get rejected from Georgetown or Cornell.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”