. Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Options. Please comment as well.

Attend Cornell this Fall
71%
Gamble on next cycle
29%

Total votes: 35

afghan007

Bronze

Post by afghan007 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:32 pm

Thanks
Last edited by afghan007 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

PoorOrpheus

Bronze

Re: Confused Black Man

Post by PoorOrpheus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:37 pm

afghan007 wrote:I’d appreciate some input on my decision to either sit out until next cycle or attend USC this Fall:

My cycle..
3.52; 159; Black male; applied late January everywhere; overly naïve about application process

USC Accepted w/18k per year
UConn Accepted 5k
Brooklyn Accepted 8.5k per year
St Johns Accepted tuition
Seton Hall Accepted 25k per year
Michigan Rejected
Fordham Pending
Cornell Pending
Cardozo Pending

I’m from CT, and am hesitant about leaving my family/friends/contacts for the West Coast. I’m not too sure about what type of legal career I want to get into. Therefore, I’m looking to go to the best school that I can get into to maximize my options.

So, I’m thinking about coming back stronger next cycle. My GPA is up to 3.65 after my senior year grades. I’d re-take the LSAT - looking for significant improvement, seeing as I had taken no full length practice tests prior to the test date.

With a 3.65, marginal improvement on my LSAT, and apps sent in first week of November put me on track for Columbia, NYU, UVA? Does this justify the risk I stand in passing up at least USC w/ $??

Thanks
Absolutely. Your GPA is now significantly higher than before and an LSAT in the 160s could get you a very nice scholarship in the T14.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:46 pm

Wait a year; sounds like you would benefit greatly from doing so.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Look at it this way: With you new GPA and even 5 additional points on the LSAT, assuming you have the exact same admissions outcome you are likely looking at a full ride at USC. So the worse case scenario you wait a year and pick up a free ride at a T20. Of course, were you to do that you will also be looking at scholarship offers from many of the T14. My point is that waiting is a no lose situation. If you wind up in the at same schools it's with ore money, or you'll have better options. Good luck!

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:54 pm

This is a slam-dunk decision. Take an LSAT class..... breath it, live it, then DO IT!! 7 or more points and it's a whole new ballgame for you. Take it in October and have ALL of your applications out before Thanksgiving. You'll be surprised at how fast the time will fly.

Good luck!!

Edit: Waiting a year is NO GAMBLE! Worse case scenario is you end up exactly where you started.

afghan007

Bronze

Post by afghan007 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks for the input thus far. The balance of favor is tipping...
Mr. Matlock wrote:This is a slam-dunk decision. Take an LSAT class..... breath it, live it, then DO IT!! 7 or more points and it's a whole new ballgame for you. Take it in October and have ALL of your applications out before Thanksgiving. You'll be surprised at how fast the time will fly.

Good luck!!

Edit: Waiting a year is NO GAMBLE! Worse case scenario is you end up exactly where you started.
Class over personal study recommended? My LSAT prep exclusively consisted of coasting through the Powerscore bibles. I didn't finish any of the books, and once again I took no full length practice tests. I was thinking about just getting into as many practice tests as possible on my own rather than a class. But given what I did, or failed to do, last time around.. class may do me well.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:20 pm

afghan007 wrote:Thanks for the input thus far. The balance of favor is tipping...
Mr. Matlock wrote:This is a slam-dunk decision. Take an LSAT class..... breath it, live it, then DO IT!! 7 or more points and it's a whole new ballgame for you. Take it in October and have ALL of your applications out before Thanksgiving. You'll be surprised at how fast the time will fly.

Good luck!!

Class over personal study recommended? My LSAT prep exclusively consisted of coasting through the Powerscore bibles. I didn't finish any of the books, and once again I took no full length practice tests. I was thinking about just getting into as many practice tests as possible on my own rather than a class. But given what I did, or failed to do, last time around.. class may do me well.
If you feel you are disciplined enough, plenty of people have followed the 3 month Pithypike guide http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=41657 with great success. Having glanced through the bibles, and scoring a 159, indicates to me that this would be well within your capabilities. Take the full 3-4 months and then knock it out of the park!

c0rpusdelicti

New

Post by c0rpusdelicti » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:11 pm

afghan007 wrote:Thanks for the input thus far. The balance of favor is tipping...

Good luck!!

Dude, if you actually worked through the Powerscore books and took as many practice tests as possible, you could break 170. If you broke 170 with that GPA, you're looking at Yale, Harvard, or Stanford (hint: pick Yale).

USC's a good school and all, but if I were you, I'd take the school that would definitely get me a job as opposed to the possibility of getting a job. Add in the fact that you prefer to be in the Northeast, and this looks like a no-brainer to me.

c0rpusdelicti

New

Post by c0rpusdelicti » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:14 pm

And whatever you do, don't go to Cornell ffs! :D

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:15 pm

1st -- "confused black man" you all are... you set yourself up for that one. sorry.

2nd -- 3.52 --> 3.65 in one year? WTF?

3rd -- retake.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:17 pm

c0rpusdelicti wrote:And whatever you do, don't go to Cornell ffs! :D
I don't like anti-Cornell trolling. :( But the advice holds for anywhere you get in this year. If you increase numbers you'll get into the same schools with more money or better schools.

c0rpusdelicti

New

Post by c0rpusdelicti » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:23 pm

jks289 wrote:
I don't like anti-Cornell trolling. :( But the advice holds for anywhere you get in this year. If you increase numbers you'll get into the same schools with more money or better schools.
don't blame me, blame this guy:

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:25 pm

c0rpusdelicti wrote:
jks289 wrote:
don't blame me, blame this guy:

"It's pronounced Cornell and it's the highest rank in the Ivy League!"

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:26 pm

You'll probably be accepted to Cornell before summer...

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:36 pm

You should get into Cornell, but I would recommend waiting until next year anyway and try to up your LSAT a bit. A 165/3.65 black male could do better than Cornell (or at least get some money at Cornell), opening up the possibilities as high as Columbia or NYU.

And, yes, it definitely justifies passing up USC. If you go to USC, you will probably live in SoCal for the rest of your life. Not a bad place to live, but that's really a decision you'll want to be making with more confidence that SoCal is for you.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:05 pm

You're chances at Cornell are very low. Cornelly had a ridiculous jump in apps this cycle 55% and a 100% increase in black applicants.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:09 am

newyorker88 wrote:You're chances at Cornell are very low. Cornelly had a ridiculous jump in apps this cycle 55% and a 100% increase in black applicants.
This is true, but AA admittees also have to want to attend over other schools. There was a lot of ambivalence expressed at the April ASW. Cornell has set a goal of increasing diversity -- they'll keeping accepting students until September, to make that goal a reality. The OPs numbers are well within last year's range -- unless his PS was on strangling puppies, I would wager he'll get in of the summer WL.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:28 pm

mbw wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:You're chances at Cornell are very low. Cornelly had a ridiculous jump in apps this cycle 55% and a 100% increase in black applicants.
This is true, but AA admittees also have to want to attend over other schools. There was a lot of ambivalence expressed at the April ASW. Cornell has set a goal of increasing diversity -- they'll keeping accepting students until September, to make that goal a reality. The OPs numbers are well within last year's range -- .
Last year they didn't have a 100% increase in black applicants. Comparing last year's acceptance practices regarding blacks to this one doesn't really make sense. I get what you're saying but basing it off of want happened last year is not logical. OP may have had a good chance of getting in last year with those numbers and that late but this year it is slim to none.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:59 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
mbw wrote:
This is true, but AA admittees also have to want to attend over other schools. There was a lot of ambivalence expressed at the April ASW. Cornell has set a goal of increasing diversity -- they'll keeping accepting students until September, to make that goal a reality. The OPs numbers are well within last year's range -- .
Last year they didn't have a 100% increase in black applicants. Comparing last year's acceptance practices regarding blacks to this one doesn't really make sense. I get what you're saying but basing it off of want happened last year is not logical. OP may have had a good chance of getting in last year with those numbers and that late but this year it is slim to none.
A 100% increase in applicants doesn't equate to a 100% increase in AAs who have the OPs numbers -- the number of applicants taking the LSAT did not increase exponentially, hence, the massive increase in some schools is just people putting in more apps -- but they can still only attend one school. When the dust settles, the OPs numbers will still be in Cornell's range. Whether they extend an offer, who knows. But I would bet on it, unless his aps has glaring flaws, of which we do not know.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:23 am

mbw wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
mbw wrote:
A 100% increase in applicants doesn't equate to a 100% increase in AAs who have the OPs numbers -- the number of applicants taking the LSAT did not increase exponentially, hence, the massive increase in some schools is just people putting in more apps -- but they can still only attend one school. When the dust settles, the OPs numbers will still be in Cornell's range.

You don't know what Cornell's range will be for this year. You're basing everything off of what they've accepted in previous years despite the fact that this has been a pretty unique year for them. Anything's possible but with an app that late to a school that is extremely backed up and competitive this year chances are slim to none. Just being honest with OP so he can make the best decision for himself.

castellon

New

Post by castellon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:53 am

The first time I took a practice test I did about the same as you, after an LSAT class my score went up 13 points. Not sure if that is typical, but if you were able to duplicate that you would be in a GREAT position.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:03 pm

newyorker88 wrote: You don't know what Cornell's range will be for this year. You're basing everything off of what they've accepted in previous years despite the fact that this has been a pretty unique year for them. Anything's possible but with an app that late to a school that is extremely backed up and competitive this year chances are slim to none. Just being honest with OP so he can make the best decision for himself.
You're telling him his chances are slim to none. However, as a URM at Cornell, knowing both how the process has worked in the past and having some first-hand insight as to how it is working now, I strongly disagree. URM admissions run on a different timetable than non-URM admissions -- URMs as a group tend to apply later, and adcoms take this into account. It is still my position that the OP will be offered a spot in the class of 2013. Whether he chooses to take it, or redo his cycle hoping for a better score, is up to him.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:25 pm

mbw wrote:
newyorker88 wrote: You don't know what Cornell's range will be for this year. You're basing everything off of what they've accepted in previous years despite the fact that this has been a pretty unique year for them. Anything's possible but with an app that late to a school that is extremely backed up and competitive this year chances are slim to none. Just being honest with OP so he can make the best decision for himself.
You're telling him his chances are slim to none. However, as a URM at Cornell, knowing both how the process has worked in the past and having some first-hand insight as to how it is working now, I strongly disagree. URM admissions run on a different timetable than non-URM admissions -- URMs as a group tend to apply later, and adcoms take this into account. It is still my position that the OP will be offered a spot in the class of 2013. .
and it is still my position that his chances are slim to none. I guess will eventually see who's right

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:57 am

I think it should be put in the TLS bylaws that everyone that asks these stupid "wait a year or not" questions gets permanently logged in to the advanced search screen. The answer to every one of these questions is the same. Do you have an LSAT>170?? Are you willing to spend the next year of your life??... If no to the first question, you could possibly improve your acceptances if you score higher. If no to the second question then you shouldnt have asked. No one on this forum is going to tell you anything that you dont already know.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:57 am

I think it should be put in the TLS bylaws that everyone that asks these stupid "wait a year or not" questions gets permanently logged in to the advanced search screen. The answer to every one of these questions is the same. Do you have an LSAT>170?? Are you willing to spend the next year of your life not in law school??... If no to the first question, you could possibly improve your acceptances if you score higher. If no to the second question then you shouldnt have asked. No one on this forum is going to tell you anything that you dont already know.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”