More important to be in T20 when you're a URM? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
trialjunky

Silver

More important to be in T20 when you're a URM?

Post by trialjunky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:00 am

Currently, I'm projected to go to UMiami this Fall. However, the more I think about it is the more I consider retaking the LSAT test.

Is it even more important to be in T20 when you're a URM?

Captain Jack

New

Re: More important to be in T20 when you're a URM?

Post by Captain Jack » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:51 pm

While URMs in T20 schools are highly coveted by legal employers, I would say that it's more important to be at a T1, above all else, if you're a URM.

URMs are just that---underrepresented minorities and, while the legal profession is one that reeks of prestige, employers will certainly look to snatch up as many URMs as possible from top law schools to fill diversity quotas and give URMs an opportunity to succeed. Furthermore, while it is not written nor spoken of (for fear of lawsuits, etc.), it is true that, unlike non-URM students, URMs don't have to meet class rank cutoffs for firms in many circumstances. Either way, I'd still bust my ass in law school and get the best grades possible, whether I'm a URM or not.

As for your personal situation, UMiami is a fine law school. Whether or not you feel that you should re-take the LSAT is up to you and you alone. However, if you are to retake and apply next cycle, you better make damn certain that you improve significantly on the LSAT and also continue to build up your resume with work experience. If you were to do so, you could get into a higher ranked school. Like I said, though, the choice is yours.

Hope this helps and good luck!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:15 pm

Short answer: Yes

Captain Jack

New

Post by Captain Jack » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:45 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:Short answer: Yes
It's not necessarily more important. Quite beneficial, yes. More important, no. Important that you're in a T1 law school, yes.

TTTeacher

New

Post by TTTeacher » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:13 pm

It's less important to be in a T20 school if you're a URM, just as it's less important to have a high GPA or LSAT score if you're a URM applying to law school. Law firms are no different from law schools -- they lower the standards significantly for URM's so that they can achieve diversity.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”