trouble during my undergrad career... the kiss of death? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
milk

New

trouble during my undergrad career... the kiss of death?

Post by milk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:39 am

2 transfers, a few bad grades, mediocre low 3 GPA, some disciplinary action for alcohol related things from my freshman/sophmore year. an arrest at the same time for which the charges were dismissed and expunged, but nothing since then. I have some softs, but nothing major. LSAT is in the 170s. PR male.

Can I still get into a T-14? Or, is all of the trouble and transfers in undergrad going to kill my chances? I'd love NYU or Columbia...impossible?

OneKnight

Bronze

Re: trouble during my undergrad career... the kiss of death?

Post by OneKnight » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:40 am

Impossible is nothing (especially for URM candidates!). Seriously though, that's a killer LSAT, it's worth a shot.

EDITed for usefulness: FWIW, the more time between offenses, the better. If these events were only a couple years ago, you will need to write a really convincing addendum, but the offenses likely won't kill your cycle.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:01 am

milk wrote:2 transfers, a few bad grades, mediocre low 3 GPA, some disciplinary action for alcohol related things from my freshman/sophmore year. an arrest at the same time for which the charges were dismissed and expunged, but nothing since then. I have some softs, but nothing major. LSAT is in the 170s. PR male.

Can I still get into a T-14? Or, is all of the trouble and transfers in undergrad going to kill my chances? I'd love NYU or Columbia...impossible?
If you mean a GPA like <3.2, then that's going to be a big problem for NYU and Columbia. Hard to say what your chances are without a more specific GPA/LSAT range, but I think you should at least land one T14. The negative softs might lead to an unexpected decision at a school or two, but I don't think it's something that is absolutely killer.

milk

New

Post by milk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:51 pm

The incidents were all a few years ago. I don't want to be too specific about my stats. LSAT between 172-175. I want to practice and live in NYC.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:53 pm

id say w/ a 3.0+ (but assuming <3.2 GPA) and URM status...w/ an LSAT score in the 172-175 range...prob in a T14

CLS and NYU are prob a stretch. while your transfers and incidents are detractors, id say the numbers are more the prob, esp. since you dont seem to have amazing softs to convince them to look past it (outside of the URM status)

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:55 pm

Try for Berkeley

milk

New

Post by milk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Neelio wrote:Try for Berkeley
why Berkeley? I thought GPA was really important for them.

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:04 pm

I'm a 0L but MVP!!

milk

New

Post by milk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:19 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:I'm a 0L but MVP!!
Is Penn that much easier to get into than NYU?

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:52 pm

milk wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:I'm a 0L but MVP!!
Is Penn that much easier to get into than NYU?
Yes. NYU is the easiest to get in of CCN and Penn is the hardest to get in of MVP but NYU is more difficult to get into than Penn for splitters.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”