Lowest GPA from an Ivy into a t10 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
destrou27

New

Lowest GPA from an Ivy into a t10

Post by destrou27 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:23 pm

Yeah, pretty much what the title mentions is what I wish to wonder. In an Ivy league institution, is there some evidence or common knowledge as to what the lowest GPA a URM can receive to maintain a fighting chance into a t10 school.

Ideas or facts?

To further assist, since I know the LSAT card would be thrown around, we will consider a 160+/- LSAT score.

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: Lowest GPA from an Ivy into a t10

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:41 pm

Definitely under a 3.0. I think we're playing with a 2.8 now but a 160 won't cut it with that. I bet that a 2.5/180 could get T14 with an addendum.

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:45 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Definitely under a 3.0. I think we're playing with a 2.8 now but a 160 won't cut it with that. I bet that a 2.5/180 could get T14 with an addendum.
This is a rare applicant, particularly for URMs. I think it would def. outweigh a low GPA like that...
I know of only one applicant this cycle with such a huge split, and he's in at M, V, and G
EDIT: and he's non-URM

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:00 am

If you're around a 160 I'd say def above a 3.0. It doesn't have to much higher but if you're workin' with a 162 or 161 I would be surprised if you got in T10 with less than a 3.0 even if you are AA male. The higher the LSAT the lower the GPA obviously. And if we are talking truly bare minimum I would say an ED is needed to maximize one's chances.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:11 am

Doritos wrote:If you're around a 160 I'd say def above a 3.0. It doesn't have to much higher but if you're workin' with a 162 or 161 I would be surprised if you got in T10 with less than a 3.0 even if you are AA male. The higher the LSAT the lower the GPA obviously. And if we are talking truly bare minimum I would say an ED is needed to maximize one's chances.

On the 160+ thing: last year and this year, a 160-163 is no sure thing for top-10 either - even with a GPA of about 3.5 or 3.6 - whereas it used to be. Non-URM's ought to be pleased with that. But it isn't even just the score. There are more URM's to choose from, but fewer are being admitted. Many URM's getting into top schools are getting in over not only whites with higher LSAT's, but URM's with better LSAT's. Go figure. I just think they are paying so much attention to age and softs in URM admissions. They primarily want young URM's from HBCU's or Ivies and they want them associated with UNCF, SEO and CLEO from the time they are freshmen or even in high school.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”