Law school with largest amount of gay students Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
highman86

New

Re: Law school with largest amount of gay students

Post by highman86 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:40 pm

-
Last edited by highman86 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

regatsrj

Bronze

Post by regatsrj » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:12 pm

Apparently Penn has a strong interest in maintaining a strong gay population. They even have a "gay box" on their app.

As for the posters who don't seem to get why a gay student would be interested in being surrounded by a large gay community: get a clue. If a black student asked which schools had the biggest black population, would you ask her, "Why, do you plan on sleeping with all of them?" It's very common for minorities to seek out other members of their group. I'm amazed that some people don't understand why this is a legitimate consideration.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Philadelphia is also a very gay friendly city.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:19 pm

myrockyourrock911 wrote:Anybody have any input on Cornell and Michigan in this regard?

I am at Cornell for undergrad so I am not totally sure about the law school. There a ton of gay groups here and we even have gay kissing day in the main campus plaza. It is a very gay friendly area too. The other college in town is a music and arts college so that helps too.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:58 pm

thebunk wrote:
Dead Ringer wrote:Not u of c. Doesn't conform to the liberal city theory.
really? Hyde Park and the campus is very LGBT friendly. the rest of the south-side not so much, but then again, most UofCers dont ever venture beyond the patrol routes of UCPD.
Just the law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mitchske

New

Post by Mitchske » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:28 pm

regatsrj wrote:Apparently Penn has a strong interest in maintaining a strong gay population. They even have a "gay box" on their app.

As for the posters who don't seem to get why a gay student would be interested in being surrounded by a large gay community: get a clue. If a black student asked which schools had the biggest black population, would you ask her, "Why, do you plan on sleeping with all of them?" It's very common for minorities to seek out other members of their group. I'm amazed that some people don't understand why this is a legitimate consideration.
Yeah, whatever. I'm gay and think this is stupid. Go to the best school you can get into, period. If you're not big enough to change peoples' minds regarding social justice issues, maybe you don't have the balls to be an attorney.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Penn has a gay Dean of Students and a gay Associate Dean of Admissions! Also, our LAMBDA is supposed to be awesome.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:48 pm

Does any school have NAMBLA as well as LAMBDA?

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:54 pm

[quote="kurla88"]Penn has a gay Dean of Students and a gay Associate Dean of Admissions! Also, our LAMBDA is supposed to be awesome.[/quote

Sorry but is this U of Penn we are talking about right ?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:33 pm

CUNY Law School in New York has both a very gay friendly enviroment and is located in a very big city. It is a small school but part of the 3rd biggest university system in the world an the campus is next to Queens College. (The school is moving the campus on 2011, but will stil be in queens).

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:47 pm

I see everyone is trying to be politicly correct in this thread, but maybe a better question would be which school has the hotest gay population?

I am sure the OP is intersted as well.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:17 pm

my bet would be Yale

based on American Pyscho
Patrick Bateman: He was into that whole Yale thing.
Donald Kimball: Yale thing?
Patrick Bateman: Yeah, Yale thing.
Donald Kimball: What whole Yale thing?
Patrick Bateman: Well, he was probably a closet homosexual who did a lot of cocaine. That whole Yale thing.
course he could have been saying that about Yale only because he wanted to hide his Harvard thing.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jm955

New

Post by jm955 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:11 am

Boalt, UCLA, Wisconson, NYU, UPenn, Wash & Lee (surprisingly, and only through hearsay), Lewis & Clark (in no particular order and not to the exclusion of others)

it is also hard to imagine that one could go wrong with any top school outside of maybe a Notre Dame/BC type school

can't think of any in the T3-4 range ... i plead ignorance

imho, location (ie city of school) matters just as much (i will say that nyc, ithaca/cornell, new orleans are all lgbt friendly locales)

i can also say, from experience, that fordham is certainly a tolerant place that would make students of any persuasion welcome, but i can't -- off the top of my head -- recall any students that i know to be out.

edited to include UPenn!

jm955

New

Post by jm955 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:14 am

puppins wrote:Philadelphia is also a very gay friendly city.

+1 to 'brotherly' love :lol:

samer

Bronze

Post by samer » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:38 am

I can't imagine Michigan not being a gay-friendly school. If the law school is even a quarter as gay-friendly as the undergraduate school, it could be in the top ten, I'm sure. National coming out day, Hug a gay day...all of that. However, I'm an undergrad here so I'm not so sure if it holds true for the law school.

Just for my own curiosity, why does this question matter? I'm not trying to knock it or an'ything, I really just am curious. Also, is it more important to you that a school is not only gay-tolerant, but "gay-friendly?" I mean, many parts of America are only going to be gay-tolerant and the work world might not even be that.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:44 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:57 am

Harvard has what appears to be a fairly large gay population and HLS Lambda is pretty active. The administration is also explicitly gay friendly, with Dean Minnow having recently hosted a panel on Don't Ask Don't Tell that didn't feature any supporters of the policy. (That's not a criticism, it was a good panel.)

anibulbul

New

Post by anibulbul » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:52 am

Wait, did we give up on the idea of the schools with the hottest gays thread?

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:56 am

anibulbul wrote:Wait, did we give up on the idea of the schools with the hottest gays thread?
I nominate GULC for the hottest gay award.

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:58 am

myrockyourrock911 wrote:As a gay male, I am interested in the above. Anyone care to name a few (aside from Berkeley) or discuss LGBT community and/or life at their school?
I think you should be looking at CITIES that have a vibrant LGBT community, rather than schools. Speaking from my undergrad experience, Columbus, Ohio has a really thriving LGBT scene. Other than that, pretty much any large city that isn't in the Bible belt is likely to have a solid amount of gay students, or at least an active gay scene.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anibulbul

New

Post by anibulbul » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:07 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
anibulbul wrote:Wait, did we give up on the idea of the schools with the hottest gays thread?
I nominate GULC for the hottest gay award.
I nominate WUSTL simply because the guy who sits next to me in Contracts is enough in himself to elevate the entire school's gay guys hotness to a whole different level.

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:14 pm

Not officially an answer to your question, but LSAC has data on law schools (self-reported) answers to:

1. Does the law school have a nondiscrimination policy which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity?
2. Does the law school have a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender student organization?
3. Does the law school have any openly lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender faculty members?
4. Does the law school offer any courses specific to lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender legal issues?
5. Does the law school offer any form of domestic partnership benefits to faculty, staff, or students?
6. Does the law school consider LGBT status as a positive factor in the admission decision?

My guess is the responses correlate to the size of the LGBT student population (although I could be wrong).

http://www.lsac.org/SpecialInterests/lgbt-chart.asp

Edit: Oops. I missed that someone had already posted this. Sorry.

melaniec

New

Post by melaniec » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:17 pm

NYU. if NYU undergrad is any indicator of gay community at NYU overall, you will have a ball here

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:27 pm

How could I forget NYU, definetely nominated (way above columbia and cardozo).

CUNY must be nominated in the NYC area because of being next to Queens college, undergrads there are breath taking.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”