UChicago JD/MBA vs. Columbia LEAD JD (urgent) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tigerandhusky

New

UChicago JD/MBA vs. Columbia LEAD JD (urgent)

Post by tigerandhusky » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:46 pm

I applied and was recently admitted to two deferral programs this year, the 3-year UChicago JD/MBA program and Columbia LEAD program. For both programs, I would defer admission for 2 years, allowing me to gain work experience following undergrad.

FinAid: Since both programs are deferral programs, I’d apply for aid the year before I matriculate, so I don't have an estimate of how much aid I would receive now.

According to their website, total COA for UChicago JD/MBA is ~$146k, and COA for CLS is ~$110k.

Goals: Big law somewhat close to home, so probably in NYC, Boston, Chicago, or even DC.

I truly cannot decide between either program. On one hand, obtaining a dual-degree JD and MBA from UChicago in just 3 years seems worth it, especially considering both UChicago Law and Booth Business School are amazing programs. On the other hand, I’m not sure how much aid I would receive from either school and UChicago COA is higher, and CLS has an advantage for future Big Law prospects (from what I understand, but please correct me if I’m wrong).

Also interested to know: Is a JD/MBA program even worth it for Big Law, and what about exit opportunities in the future? What advantages does obtaining an MBA provide, in addition to the JD? How does UChicago aid compare relative to CLS? Are UChicago Law and CLS considered equally prestigious for East Coast BL firms?

I only have a couple days left to decide between either program, so any advice would be hugely appreciated! Thank you so much!!!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Re: UChicago JD/MBA vs. Columbia LEAD JD (urgent)

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:02 pm

tigerandhusky wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:46 pm
I applied and was recently admitted to two deferral programs this year, the 3-year UChicago JD/MBA program and Columbia LEAD program. For both programs, I would defer admission for 2 years, allowing me to gain work experience following undergrad.

FinAid: Since both programs are deferral programs, I’d apply for aid the year before I matriculate, so I don't have an estimate of how much aid I would receive now.

This is easily the most important consideration. I'm assuming CLS will be cheaper because no MBA. What are your stats? I'm assuming they're enough to theoretically land you $$ in the T14? Are you going to be paying for this with loans?

According to their website, total COA for UChicago JD/MBA is ~$146k, and COA for CLS is ~$110k.

Goals: Big law somewhat close to home, so probably in NYC, Boston, Chicago, or even DC.

If you're an undergrad you should try to think long and hard about what biglaw is like and why it's a career you're interested in.

I truly cannot decide between either program. On one hand, obtaining a dual-degree JD and MBA from UChicago in just 3 years seems worth it, especially considering both UChicago Law and Booth Business School are amazing programs. On the other hand, I’m not sure how much aid I would receive from either school and UChicago COA is higher, and CLS has an advantage for future Big Law prospects (from what I understand, but please correct me if I’m wrong).

You're wrong. They're equally good for biglaw.

Also interested to know: Is a JD/MBA program even worth it for Big Law, and what about exit opportunities in the future? What advantages does obtaining an MBA provide, in addition to the JD? How does UChicago aid compare relative to CLS? Are UChicago Law and CLS considered equally prestigious for East Coast BL firms?

I would generally say JD/MBA is NOT worth it for generic biglaw. It might be worth it if during school you decide you want to do something other than be a lawyer. Generally speaking the primary value of an MBA is the networking aspect and primarily for switching careers, particularly if you want to break into MBB Consulting or IB from something else.

Chicago is just a good, if not better, for East Coast biglaw and they are considered equally prestigious

I only have a couple days left to decide between either program, so any advice would be hugely appreciated! Thank you so much!!!

Serjatclaw

New

Re: UChicago JD/MBA vs. Columbia LEAD JD (urgent)

Post by Serjatclaw » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:48 pm

Both are excellent. It's difficult for anyone to make any objective recommendations for a situation like this, as it largely depends on what you want for your future, and what you think would be best (financially and career-wise) for yourself. I don't think you'll regret either choice.

Contact people who graduated from these programs as soon as possible and get their perspective. Don't bother waiting on a forum like this for responses: for one, we have no context as to what your goals are beyond "big law", and you only have a few days to make the decision. Talk to people who have concrete experience, rather than anonymous forum posters who can only speculate on the outcomes.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”