Lewis and Clark vs. Oregon Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
manaherea

New

Lewis and Clark vs. Oregon

Post by manaherea » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:45 am

Hi, so, I know there have been a lot of posts asking this question, but in many cases the answers are very specific to the asker's situation: scholarship amounts, whether or not they are local, etc. So, I thought I'd ask again given my own situation:

I got into both L&C and UO with scholarships that are ALMOST full. Both would leave me with about 10 grand per year to cover and are renewable with the condition that I don't fail or drop below full time. I have lived in Oregon for 16 years since I was a teenager -- two of those years in Portland, the last five in Eugene.

At UO I have the chance to apply for a fellowship in 1L, at L&C only in 2L. I don't know what my chances of getting these are, but I have a masters in math with research experience, so, hopefully that would help. Also, more job opportunities while in school at L&C, particularly for a person with a masters in math (even finding clients to tutor would be easier in Portland, I think). In terms of cost, both situations look pretty close to me. I will live with my partner with an established career who is willing to let me pay only $500 per month toward rent either way.

I have applied to out-of-state schools and am waiting to hear back, but while I am interested in business law, I am pretty sure I don't want to work 90 hours a week for a large firm (my impression is that that's what big law requires -- am I wrong), so I am not sure it's worth moving out of state to go to a better school even if I do get in. I don't really know, but I hope I could get a business law job at a smaller firm from either of these schools. So, knowing I have decent scholarships in Oregon I am inclined to stay here.

Any advice?

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Lewis and Clark vs. Oregon

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:53 pm

I think these are super comparable schools
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/oregon
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/lewisandclark

I think go to whichever is a better fit for you/less hassle/cheaper. I don't think the employment outcomes will be all that different for either school, but perhaps someone from the area can chime in.
I will say, fellowships are less important unless they lead to a job. I'd also make sure to devout your time to studying, especially if biglaw/midlaw/clerkship etc are in the future (although, I wouldn't recommend these schools for that goal). I think working 2L and onwards is perfectly feasible, but doing so during 1L, for me, was pretty crap.

rapmasterg

New

Re: Lewis and Clark vs. Oregon

Post by rapmasterg » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:34 pm

If you want a higher chance at Portland biglaw Lewis and Clark is correct. If you go to the links above and look at both school's 75th percentile for private sector you will see this reflected. Even though UofO is generally ranked higher, more Portland partners went to Lewis and Clark.

For just general law I think they are similar although UofO may have the edge.

edit
Also re: 90 hours a week, that happens but is rare. More like 60ish with ups and downs (with generally more ups)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”