GWU vs Fordham? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CivProGunner12b

New

GWU vs Fordham?

Post by CivProGunner12b » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:54 am

Should I pick George Washington or Fordham? Same COA, as I'm a transfer (I HAVE to transfer, my school is shit). Goal is big law so I can pay off loans. Interested in business oriented law. Interested in trial and plaintiff work down the road when loans are paid down. Would love to work and live in NYC but want a degree that will have prestige anywhere. Never been to DC and haven't spent much time in NYC, from the West coast.

dvlthndr

Bronze

Re: GWU vs Fordham?

Post by dvlthndr » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:37 am

It's a bit of a toss-up, but I think this really boils down to whether you want to live and work in DC or NYC after graduation.

The ABA report for GW shows that most people work in DC. About a third of the class works in big law, but a good chunk of the class is working in generic government jobs or moving on to clerkships. You wouldn't be "shut out" from doing other kinds of work, but GW makes the most sense for people that want to live/work in DC long-term and potentially do government work.

Fordham is a little lower ranked, but the one thing Fordham is good at is placing a decent chunk of their class in NYC Biglaw. You can check out the NALP and ABA employment summary. Almost everybody winds up in New York, about half the class winds up in big-law, and even those who don't are usually paid well (the median salary for private practice is 190k, and the 25 percentile is still 170k). If you actually want to be in NYC and do "business" oriented law, I think Fordham would give you better odds.

plurilingue

Bronze

Post by plurilingue » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:20 am

dvlthndr wrote:It's a bit of a toss-up, but I think this really boils down to whether you want to live and work in DC or NYC after graduation.

The ABA report for GW shows that most people work in DC. About a third of the class works in big law, but a good chunk of the class is working in generic government jobs or moving on to clerkships. You wouldn't be "shut out" from doing other kinds of work, but GW makes the most sense for people that want to live/work in DC long-term and potentially do government work.

Fordham is a little lower ranked, but the one thing Fordham is good at is placing a decent chunk of their class in NYC Biglaw. You can check out the NALP and ABA employment summary. Almost everybody winds up in New York, about half the class winds up in big-law, and even those who don't are usually paid well (the median salary for private practice is 190k, and the 25 percentile is still 170k). If you actually want to be in NYC and do "business" oriented law, I think Fordham would give you better odds.
+1. I would further add that your choice of school is going to be a commitment to that city for at least five years, and probably longer. Neither has any significant reputation outside of their home market does accrue reasonable respect inside it.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:45 pm

Second what the above commenters said. I'd choose by target city with the knowledge that neither school is extremely portable, and that GW does place in NYC but transferring away from an NYC school may slightly affect your chances at that market. DC biglaw is very competitive (more so than NYC), so that's worth considering. Also, if your current school feeds to NYC and that's your target city, I would strongly consider staying put, particularly if you have a good scholarship where you are. That said, if you're paying close to full price right now, I would definitely transfer.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:55 pm

Echo everything the OPs have said. If you've got a good scholarship consider staying put. NYC biglaw is easier to get compared to DC (or so I hear- I have no experience in either market). Neither degree is really going to let you leave the city/region. I think GW would be the worse choice- totally from random thought- if you were going for biglaw. My reasoning is DC is competitive, there's also not really a backup market for GW- W&M, W&L, and U of R, all kinda control VA, aside from NOVA (although they even have an imprint there). I'm sure GW can place into VA, I just think it may be harder, so you're really looking at DC vs NYC and I'd take my bet to NYC. I'm unsure if a Fordham degree is better in Cali or a GW one. I think neither is the answer but gun to my head probs GW unless you're being interviewed by a catholic person. Either way, make your decision based on what city you want to end up in, NYC vs DC. Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whydoineedaname?

New

Post by whydoineedaname? » Wed May 06, 2020 12:35 pm

NYC Native here--- If you go to Fordham you truly have a 50/50 shot at NYC biglaw. New York natives firms with a strong NYC presence respect that institution, as many partners are from Fordham. The numbers tell a good story, but the reality is a lot brighter than what the ABA reports would even allow you to conclude.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed May 06, 2020 12:53 pm

I’d look at data from like 2012-2014 before you choose either of these schools given the current situation out there.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed May 06, 2020 1:09 pm

whydoineedaname? wrote:NYC Native here--- If you go to Fordham you truly have a 50/50 shot at NYC biglaw. New York natives firms with a strong NYC presence respect that institution, as many partners are from Fordham. The numbers tell a good story, but the reality is a lot brighter than what the ABA reports would even allow you to conclude.
This is all true in a good economy and dangerously wrong in a weak economy. The respect people have for Fordham means diddly when you have a Harvard, Duke, and Fordham applicant and can only hire one of them (it pays dividends when you can hire three of them).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”