Should I Wait Until Next Year? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Scutrules

New

Should I Wait Until Next Year?

Post by Scutrules » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:38 pm

I've been struggling with an internal debate these past few weeks and I'd love some outside advice.

Background: Took the LSAT once, scored a 160. 3.44 uGPA. Just got out of the Navy (med discharge after 3 yrs AD). My goals include public interest (low-income, at-risk populations, etc) and I'm not out to make billions. As for schools, I'm considering: Drexel (full tuition), Cincinnati (50%), Dickinson (50%), Temple (25%, can't afford at that price), and OSU (still waiting for scholarship info). I am not eligible for GI because I was in ROTC (and had to sign away my GI benefits so they would pay for undergrad).

I've previously gotten advice that a few more points on my LSAT could make a big difference in acceptances and in scholarships. I only studied for 5 weeks before the LSAT and I think that if I gave myself a solid few months and then retook, I'd score higher (although no guarantees). If I choose to retake, I'm not going to attend school in the fall, I'd just reapply in a new cycle. I don't want to push my plans back a year but I also want to give myself the best opportunity to succeed. And I don't even know if I'd do better on the LSAT. The worst thing would be to push my plans and retake the LSAT and then not improve at all... I guess my question is, am I putting myself in a good position to achieve my goals with my current acceptances? Or have I really screwed this up and I should definitely retake the LSAT and apply again next year?

cavalier1138

Re: Should I Wait Until Next Year?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:05 pm

As it currently stands, Drexel is the only school on your list that would be an acceptable price.

Drexel doesn't have great employment outcomes, but PI work is usually more about your commitment and networking than school pedigree. That said, it depends which at-risk populations you're thinking of working with and which organizations you want to target. The ACLU works with at-risk populations, and you aren't getting an ACLU fellowship out of Drexel. But if there are local orgs in Pennsylvania that do the work you want to do, Drexel might be a fine choice.

I'd err on the side of a retake here, because your description of your study history suggests that you'd score higher and give yourself better options. Unless you're certain that there's a good market for the kind of work you want to do in the region Drexel services, you want those better options.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”