BC v. Vandy v. UT Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
completelystuck

New

BC v. Vandy v. UT

Post by completelystuck » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:39 pm

I'm narrowed down to Boston College, Vanderbilt, & University of Texas. After scholarships, BC will cost about 19k per year, Vandy will cost about 18k, and UT will cost about 10k. (Speaking only in terms of tuition)
I'm interested particularly in Immigration & IHR law, probably will pursue PI long term, but intent on doing a clerkship directly after graduation.

Cost isn't my main consideration - we have some money from a house we just sold (made about 100k on it from what we initially paid) and a husband with a job that can pay the bills. It is important though.

Basically, I'm leaning towards BC because I love the idea of being on the East Coast and specifically in Boston and they have some of the best clinical and programmatic offerings. UT costs less, Vandy has a higher placement rate, and they're both ranked higher with higher clerkship placement.

My main question is - am I an idiot for wanting to choose Boston?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: BC v. Vandy v. UT

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:06 pm

This decision depends on where you want to work. All three of these schools are pretty geographically limited for employment options afterwards. If you want to work in Texas, go to UT. If you want Tennessee, go to Vandy. If you want Boston, go to BC. None of these three options place very well outside their geographic area (vandy places meh in NYC).

So this is really a geographic decision of where you want to work and live for the next 30-40 years. They are all regional schools.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Re: BC v. Vandy v. UT

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:43 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:This decision depends on where you want to work. All three of these schools are pretty geographically limited for employment options afterwards. If you want to work in Texas, go to UT. If you want Tennessee, go to Vandy. If you want Boston, go to BC. None of these three options place very well outside their geographic area (vandy places meh in NYC).

So this is really a geographic decision of where you want to work and live for the next 30-40 years. They are all regional schools.
.....I'm going to have to strongly disagree when you say "if you want to work in Tennessee, go to Vandy..." and that "vandy is a regional school" That's just false lol.

Vandy's top market is New York. Tennessee is #2 (all the kids FROM TEnnessee usually want to stay), followed by Texas/Georgia/DC...

OP, i think if you want to work in Texas you should 100% take UT
If you want to work in Boston, then 100% BC.
If you want to work in NYC, or Southeast, or are just unsure, then I would choose Vandy.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”