WashU v Georgetown Biglaw Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JordanLaw15

New

WashU v Georgetown Biglaw

Post by JordanLaw15 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:08 am

I'm really struggling deciding between the two. I'm getting similar scholarship (each about 3/4s) but my Gtown offer is half financial aid and will go away 3rd year if I get biglaw 2L Summer. Is Gtown biglaw outcomes considerably better than WashU? Is Gtown worth 60k more than Washu? Help.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: WashU v Georgetown Biglaw

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:13 am

Where do you want to work? What type of Biglaw interests you?

When you say GULC is half financial aid and will go away 3rd year, what exactly does that mean? And what are your COA at both schools?

GULC gives you a better opportunity for Biglaw generally, but even that should caveat that neither gives you better than a 50% of Biglaw.

Your goals matter here, and your COA matters very much. Flesh out the those two things before ever expecting quality advice on the better option.

snowball17

New

Post by snowball17 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:15 am

Where do you want to practice? Unless you really want to work for a 3-letter agency in DC or a unicorn PI job, G-Town is not worth the extra 60k. The difference in BL+clerkship placement btw the two schools is negligible.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:21 am

UVA2B wrote: When you say GULC is half financial aid and will go away 3rd year, what exactly does that mean?
She's talking need-based aid, I take it.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:24 am

Rigo wrote:
UVA2B wrote: When you say GULC is half financial aid and will go away 3rd year, what exactly does that mean?
Fair assumption, I almost entirely gloss over need-based aid when it's not HYS since that's all they do. But there are so many other questions that need to be answered before any decision makes sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:24 am

snowball17 wrote:Where do you want to practice? Unless you really want to work for a 3-letter agency in DC or a unicorn PI job, G-Town is not worth the extra 60k. The difference in BL+clerkship placement btw the two schools is negligible.
I wouldn't call 10+% negligible.
Georgetown is a better school with better outcomes. Not saying that is worth $60k more, but it might be to some people.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:27 am

UVA2B wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Fair assumption, I almost entirely gloss over need-based aid when it's not HYS since that's all they do. But there are so many other questions that need to be answered before any decision makes sense.
Yeah Georgetown is actually surprisingly fairly generous when it comes to need aid, or at least they have been anecdotally.

snowball17

New

Post by snowball17 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:45 am

Rigo wrote:
snowball17 wrote:Where do you want to practice? Unless you really want to work for a 3-letter agency in DC or a unicorn PI job, G-Town is not worth the extra 60k. The difference in BL+clerkship placement btw the two schools is negligible.
Georgetown is a better school with better outcomes. Not saying that is worth $60k more, but it might be to some people.
WUSTL released their unofficial 2016 employment numbers during ASW, over 40% biglaw placement. I would definitely take that number with a grain of salt, but I really don't think there is a 10% difference btw the two schools.
Last edited by snowball17 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

snowball17

New

Post by snowball17 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:46 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 am

snowball17 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
WUSTL released their unofficial 2016 employment numbers during ASW, over 40% biglaw placement. I would definitely take that number with a grain of salt, but I really don't think there is a 10% difference btw the two schools.
I was going off of the c/o 2015 data since that's all I have access to. That's quite an improvement if true.

JordanLaw15

New

Post by JordanLaw15 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:14 am

I'm not sure where I would like to work but I currently have no interest in government/PI. Half is need-based, sorry for not being more specific. Would you say that Gtown has a considerably better alumni network? Would career advancement be easier as a Gtown grad than a WashU grad? If new outcomes for WashU are true and considering I want to work in BigLaw is WashU the better option considering COA?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:51 am

JordanLaw15 wrote:I'm not sure where I would like to work but I currently have no interest in government/PI. Half is need-based, sorry for not being more specific. Would you say that Gtown has a considerably better alumni network? Would career advancement be easier as a Gtown grad than a WashU grad? If new outcomes for WashU are true and considering I want to work in BigLaw is WashU the better option considering COA?
If the rumored data is true, then WUSTL for cheaper could make sense if geographically you'd prefer to end up in the Midwest more than likely. It all depends on your goals for geographic placement. And don't worry about the alumni network, because your work experience will likely play a much larger role in any future employment opportunities after the first job than any perceived alumni network difference. Focus on the data for the first job, build your career from there.

jlc058

Bronze

Post by jlc058 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:59 am

JordanLaw15 wrote:I'm not sure where I would like to work but I currently have no interest in government/PI. Half is need-based, sorry for not being more specific. Would you say that Gtown has a considerably better alumni network? Would career advancement be easier as a Gtown grad than a WashU grad? If new outcomes for WashU are true and considering I want to work in BigLaw is WashU the better option considering COA?
How is half your aid need based? Georgetown gives you the higher amount of what you received-merit or need based- you don't get to keep both

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:29 pm

Ive seen the most recent employment data, but I'm pretty skeptical of the idea that WUSTL and GULC are peer schools in the eyes of big law firms.

Anecdotally it seems like a median Georgetown student bidding NYC is better shape than someone median at WUSTL.

hegotmoneyyyyy

New

Post by hegotmoneyyyyy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:38 pm

jlc058 wrote:
How is half your aid need based? Georgetown gives you the higher amount of what you received-merit or need based- you don't get to keep both
You get to use both if the merit aid is an opportunity scholarship.

jlc058

Bronze

Post by jlc058 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:50 am

hegotmoneyyyyy wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
Oh gotcha great deal. If you got your merit aid before need based can you ask for it to be turned into an opportunity scholarship?

hegotmoneyyyyy

New

Post by hegotmoneyyyyy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:59 am

jlc058 wrote:
hegotmoneyyyyy wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
Oh gotcha great deal. If you got your merit aid before need based can you ask for it to be turned into an opportunity scholarship?
I'm not sure. I got my need based first and during the first round of merit scholarships I was told I wasn't getting any and to assume I won't at all. Then a few weeks later they emailed me offering merit and said it was an opportunity scholarship so I could combine the two. It doesn't hurt to ask though!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jlc058

Bronze

Post by jlc058 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:12 pm

hegotmoneyyyyy wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
hegotmoneyyyyy wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
I'm not sure. I got my need based first and during the first round of merit scholarships I was told I wasn't getting any and to assume I won't at all. Then a few weeks later they emailed me offering merit and said it was an opportunity scholarship so I could combine the two. It doesn't hurt to ask though!
cool thanks I had no idea this even existed!

JordanLaw15

New

Post by JordanLaw15 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Does the need-based portion go away if you land biglaw in the second Summer?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”