2017 US News Rankings - Minnesota Law Drops Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: 2017 US News Rankings - Minnesota Law Drops

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:23 am

Also that's based off EIP stats not just hearsay

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:59 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:Just don't go to Minnesota or Iowa expecting to practice in a place other than Minnesota or Iowa (i.e. Chicago). Chicago biglaw pecking order (and correct me if i'm wrong):

1. UChi/Northwestern
2. HYS
3. Michigan
4. Rest of T14
5. Indiana/Regionals (top students at DePaul, Loyola, etc)
6. The rest
much easier to get chicago from HYS than UC/NU. Im guessing UIUC and ND place a good bit better than IU but im not sure
First sentence is wrong.
Yes, strongly disagree. Look at the summer classes at Kirkland, Sidley, Winston, Jenner, etc... Loaded with those two schools. On one hand, some of that is self selection - HYS going to NYC, DC, SV. On the other, UChi/NU students have 1) established ties, 2) networking ops in city that HYS doesnt have, 3) the benefit of the big firms being loaded with alums.

im speaking about H although Im guessing its true at others, but at H chicago is literally the easiest market of all markets to get.
This isn't true on so many levels. I don't even know where to begin.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:15 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:Just don't go to Minnesota or Iowa expecting to practice in a place other than Minnesota or Iowa (i.e. Chicago). Chicago biglaw pecking order (and correct me if i'm wrong):

1. UChi/Northwestern
2. HYS
3. Michigan
4. Rest of T14
5. Indiana/Regionals (top students at DePaul, Loyola, etc)
6. The rest
much easier to get chicago from HYS than UC/NU. Im guessing UIUC and ND place a good bit better than IU but im not sure
First sentence is wrong.
Yes, strongly disagree. Look at the summer classes at Kirkland, Sidley, Winston, Jenner, etc... Loaded with those two schools. On one hand, some of that is self selection - HYS going to NYC, DC, SV. On the other, UChi/NU students have 1) established ties, 2) networking ops in city that HYS doesnt have, 3) the benefit of the big firms being loaded with alums.

im speaking about H although Im guessing its true at others, but at H chicago is literally the easiest market of all markets to get.
This isn't true on so many levels. I don't even know where to begin.
It's just a fact... If you're an H student go look at the EIP stats, many big firms gave offers to damn near everyone who interviewed at all

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:01 pm

Having iterviewed with Chicago firms, and as someone with friends and family working for them, I'd rather be at UChi than anywhere if I wanted Chicago. Just my $.02.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Eh whatever, sorry for derailing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spikejalit

New

Post by spikejalit » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:46 pm

If you aren't absolutely certain you want to stay in Minnesota, just keep hitting the lsat til you get decent money at a T14 (any "big" Minnesota firm will take you). If you matriculate to UMN, chances are you aren't ever going to leave Minnesota.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:37 pm

MAPP wrote:I'm a junior in college and want to practice law in Minnesota (leaning towards big law, but there are some good mid sized firms in MN as well). UMN Law just dropped two places in the US News Rankings, and it is likely my first choice for law school. What effect will this drop have in admissions next year, if any? In other words, do you think they will raise their LSAT and GPA standards in an effort to move back up the rankings? Or does this drop potentially make it easier for me to gain admission to UMN Law next year?

There is no such thing as "big law" in Minnesota. There are like two tiny offices of Vault firms in Minnesota. Most firms in Minnesota are local, and the largest Minnesota firms are not "big law".

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Informative wrote:
MAPP wrote:I'm a junior in college and want to practice law in Minnesota (leaning towards big law, but there are some good mid sized firms in MN as well). UMN Law just dropped two places in the US News Rankings, and it is likely my first choice for law school. What effect will this drop have in admissions next year, if any? In other words, do you think they will raise their LSAT and GPA standards in an effort to move back up the rankings? Or does this drop potentially make it easier for me to gain admission to UMN Law next year?

There is no such thing as "big law" in Minnesota. There are like two tiny offices of Vault firms in Minnesota. Most firms in Minnesota are local, and the largest Minnesota firms are not "big law".
Wow this resurrects an old(-ish) thread :lol: Anyways, I would agree the legal market in MN is trash, which is why I am not going to work in mn and am probably attending UChi next year. However, there are some firms in mn that are big law, just smaller big law. Starting salary doesn't have to be 180k in order for a firm to be considered part of big law.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:01 am

Informative wrote:

0Ls: ignore this user.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”