Rutgers plans to merge its law schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rwhyAn

Bronze

Rutgers plans to merge its law schools

Post by rwhyAn » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:39 pm

We'll see if this actually happens. I think it will be a good idea to finally merge the two. I would really love for them to have a presence in New Brunswick.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/break ... hools.html

Gold

Re: Rutgers plans to merge its law schools

Post by 20141023 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:42 pm

I can't imagine them consolidating facilities. Maybe they will be able to cut administrative costs and lower the number of students. Jersey schools will still be overproducing JDs but maybe it will lessen the number.

I can't think of any other state with two public law schools that will likely merge. Maybe Arizona?

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:46 pm

timbs4339 wrote:I can't imagine them consolidating facilities. Maybe they will be able to cut administrative costs and lower the number of students. Jersey schools will still be overproducing JDs but maybe it will lessen the number.

I can't think of any other state with two public law schools that will likely merge. Maybe Arizona?
No way, because they are two different university systems.

Indiana maybe. Some of the UCs? Arkansas?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:11 pm

rebexness wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:I can't imagine them consolidating facilities. Maybe they will be able to cut administrative costs and lower the number of students. Jersey schools will still be overproducing JDs but maybe it will lessen the number.

No way, because they are two different university systems.

Indiana maybe. Some of the UCs? Arkansas?
It always seemed like the UCs are too indpendent. Berkeley would never merge. UCI is basically a stand alone school and are trying to be UCLA. UCLA wouldn't merge with UCI, UCD, or UCH since it might drop them out of the T20. Hastings has a completely different structure in that they aren't state funded. That leaves Davis out in the cold.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:20 pm

I guess the weekly postcards didn't convince enough people

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:25 pm

As a current student, I think this is a great idea. Hopefully within ten years they build a brand new building in New Brunswick and enroll a student body equal in size to one of the schools now. Considering how over-saturated this state's legal market is, it absolutely does not need two public law schools or even one public law school with two campuses. One RU Law would be more competitive in its admissions and far better funded.

Despite a lot of the stuff that gets thrown around on here for people who want to stay in New Jersey, aren't wedded to big law and want to keep debt down, Rutgers makes a lot of sense. Does it guarantee you a legal job? Not at all, but it is not a name that you have to apologize for within state lines and it can get better.

csexton182

New

Post by csexton182 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:33 pm

Last edited by csexton182 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Regulus wrote:Interesting... So "it" has officially begun.

Now if only we could convince Cooley, Thomas Jefferson, and Regents to merge shut down...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:36 pm

Current student here, just received this from the Chancellor of the Camden Campus:

To the Campus Community:

I am pleased to report upon the following activity that occurred at the Rutgers Board of Governors’ regularly scheduled meeting on the Newark campus earlier today:

[Irrelevant stuff redacted] ...

During the public session of the board meeting, President Robert L. Barchi spoke about discussions between the faculties of the Schools of Law at Camden and Newark to strengthen legal education at Rutgers. These conversations have yielded a proposal to create a single Rutgers Law School with programs on every campus. This innovative concept has the potential to propel Rutgers into the top echelons of public law schools, and to elevate the Camden Campus while doing so. There are many details to be discussed, and Law Dean Rayman Solomon and I will provide updates as the concept progresses.

These initiatives hold great promise for the future of our campus. As always, thank you for all that you do on behalf of Rutgers–Camden.

Wendell E. Pritchett, J.D., Ph.D.
Chancellor

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:39 pm

So not decreasing student number then?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:42 pm

thisiswater wrote:So not decreasing student number then?
Not on purpose. Seems like they believe they'll have enough students to build an additional law school campus in New Brunswick. Fucking lol at this colossal waste of a good opportunity.

steakandchicken

New

Post by steakandchicken » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:05 pm

A campus in New Brunswick makes no sense. What market will it feed into?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:09 pm

there's no way that they create a completely new 3rd campus there.

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:09 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Not on purpose. Seems like they believe they'll have enough students to build an additional law school campus in New Brunswick. Fucking lol at this colossal waste of a good opportunity.
That's not what they said though, they're saying there will be programs on all three campuses. That doesn't mean another school effectively gets opened in New Brunswick. It just means they might start offering some classes there, while keeping the law school's two main campuses in Camden and Newark.

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:39 am

2LT_CPG wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
That's not what they said though, they're saying there will be programs on all three campuses. That doesn't mean another school effectively gets opened in New Brunswick. It just means they might start offering some classes there, while keeping the law school's two main campuses in Camden and Newark.
There's a Camden law professor that posts on the Scarlet Nation message board that has mentioned in the past that the New Brunswick course offerings would most likely be for some sort of 'legal studies' undergraduate major. As a RU New Brunswick employee, I'd love for them to offer the part-time JD program here so that I could take advantage of the full tuition remission. However, I'm not holding out too much hope on them relocating here anytime soon. Plus, at the board of governors meeting last night, they were prioritizing $410M worth of future building projects without the mention of a new law building. Who knows, though. They are opening a brand new business school building in NB this fall when the Newark one went through millions of dollars of renovations recently. I guess only time will tell.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:03 pm

The NB business school has been in the works for years though, since at least 2009 IIRC.

Also, can you link me to the Scarlet Nation post you mentioned?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:16 pm

As a NJ resident who was at one of the law schools for 1L, I think this is a fantastic idea if done right. The Philly.com article that I read seemed to emphasize it's partially being done to lower school costs, so hopefully that happens too; although there was no mention of a New Brunswick campus there. I think they also want to increase the reputation of the "school" so hopefully they'll realize that a smaller class size is needed.

My guess is in the early years, students will basically get assigned to one campus for 1L and then can take classes at either for 2L/3L? Or maybe in the future the 1L classes will all be in NB, and then after that you pick Newark or Camden depending on where you want to work/what classes you want to take? Honestly, as long as they stand by their goal of making tuition cheaper, I will 100% support it.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:20 pm

You have much more faith in the administration than I do, keg :lol:

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:34 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:The NB business school has been in the works for years though, since at least 2009 IIRC.

Also, can you link me to the Scarlet Nation post you mentioned?
Here's one from a few weeks ago. I know it was also mentioned last year during the merger talks, but I can't seem to find it.

http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?f ... 88&style=2

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:43 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:You have much more faith in the administration than I do, keg :lol:
I may be partially biased because I got to know some people in the administration while doing my work-study in the admissions office :lol:. And I do trust that the faculty (at least the younger members) seems to have a pretty good idea what's going on in legal education based on some conversations with them.

I also like them/trust them more than the administration at my current school. But you can see that reflected in the awfulness of where we've fallen to the in "Go-to-Law Schools" thread :lol:.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jack5on

New

Post by jack5on » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:44 pm

This has put a major dent in the chances I will attend the school. As a part time student that works full time in NY I simply cannot risk the chance that the school's location will be changed, or some classes will be too far away.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:50 pm

jack5on wrote:This has put a major dent in the chances I will attend the school. As a part time student that works full time in NY I simply cannot risk the chance that the school's location will be changed, or some classes will be too far away.
This is not going to happen in the next 4 years. No one is talking about moving away from the Newark or Camden campuses. There would be tons of people working in New York and Philadelphia who would be outraged just like you.

paintbynumbers

New

Post by paintbynumbers » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:01 pm

There is zero chance either law schools move out of the cities they are located in bc they are so engrained into the community and New Brunswick offers nothing. Rutgers-Camden is in a dilapidated area, and the community relies on the law school and all the clinics they offer poor and disabled residents. Same can be said for Rutgers Newark. Also, Rutgers-Camden has a federal courthouse across the street and another across the river in philly. Rutgers newark has a federal courthouse in its vicinity as well. Also, RC has ties to Philly, RN to North Jersey and NYC. Rutgers at NB campus would be illogical and will not happen bc there little to none employment prospects, nor a federal courthouse that is very close.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:04 pm

paintbynumbers wrote:There is zero chance either law schools move out of the cities they are located in bc they are so engrained into the community and New Brunswick offers nothing. Rutgers-Camden is in a dilapidated area, and the community relies on the law school and all the clinics they offer poor and disabled residents. Same can be said for Rutgers Newark. Also, Rutgers-Camden has a federal courthouse across the street and another across the river in philly. Rutgers newark has a federal courthouse in its vicinity as well. Also, RC has ties to Philly, RN to North Jersey and NYC. Rutgers at NB campus would be illogical and will not happen bc there little to none employment prospects, nor a federal courthouse that is very close.
These are all great points, but unless you are President Barchi you can't say with 100% certainty that the campus situation won't change.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”