If you do not go to a "national" school... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
romothesavior

Diamond

If you do not go to a "national" school...

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:26 am

... then go to a reputable law school in the region in which you want to practice for a reasonable price. The end.

Not sure why this is rocket science, but it seems like a billion "Pepperdine w/$ vs. W&L vs. UF?" threads have popped up lately. Seriously people, are you pulling these schools out of a hat? Do you have no direction in life, or is it that you don't understand the nature of legal hiring, or both?

ETA: This should almost always be the area in which you have ties, particularly if 1) the school is lower ranked, and 2) the market is small.
Last edited by romothesavior on Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Gold

Re: If you do not go to a "national" school...

Post by Bronck » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:29 am

Amen

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:33 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 am

rad lulz wrote:Also, in many secondary markets, it will be difficult to get a job there if you are not from there or have significant ties to the region, even if you go to the regional school.
Ah yes, I should have included this in my OP.

Relocating for law school is usually a bad idea. Relocating for law school to go to a mediocre T2/3 school in order to break into some hyper-parochial market? Just awful.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:37 am

romothesavior wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Also, in many secondary markets, it will be difficult to get a job there if you are not from there or have significant ties to the region, even if you go to the regional school.

Relocating for law school is usually a bad idea. Relocating for law school to go to a mediocre T2/3 school in order to break into some hyper-parochial market? Just awful.
Indeed, there are very few destination law schools. If you really want to live somewhere, there are probably a million easier and cheaper ways than enrolling in the local law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:41 am

romothesavior wrote:

how much evidence is available for this? i don't really doubt it, but every lawyer i've spoken with, including in the supposedly insular PNW, said attending a school in the area is a sufficient "tie."

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:43 am

charliep wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

how much evidence is available for this? i don't really doubt it, but every lawyer i've spoken with, including in the supposedly insular PNW, said attending a school in the area is a sufficient "tie."
Maybe for him, but I go to school in Philadelphia. Our legal market is super-fucking-skeptical of people without ties, especially for biglaw. Many of my friends had trouble during interviews.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:46 am

charliep wrote:how much evidence is available for this? i don't really doubt it, but every lawyer i've spoken with, including in the supposedly insular PNW, said attending a school in the area is a sufficient "tie."
Partly depends on the market. For some markets, it will be okay assuming you have the grades. For others, it is a huge barrier to overcome.

Also, I think relocating to law school to try and aim for a new region is more risky because it requires you to have better grades than your "hometown" counterparts. If you are top 5% at the local T1, you're gonna get some looks regardless of where you're from. If you're top 1/3 at the local T1 with strong ties, you're probably gonna get some looks. But what about top 1/3 with no ties and no tangible reason for sticking around? Good freakin' luck.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:47 am

anecdotal evidence is not your friend

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bobby Dazzler

New

Post by Bobby Dazzler » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:47 am

romothesavior wrote:
charliep wrote:how much evidence is available for this? i don't really doubt it, but every lawyer i've spoken with, including in the supposedly insular PNW, said attending a school in the area is a sufficient "tie."
Partly depends on the market. For some markets, it will be okay assuming you have the grades. For others, it is a huge barrier to overcome.

Also, I think relocating to law school to try and aim for a new region is more risky because it requires you to have better grades than your "hometown" counterparts. If you are top 5% at the local T1, you're gonna get some looks regardless of where you're from. If you're top 1/3 at the local T1 with strong ties, you're probably gonna get some looks. But what about top 1/3 with no ties and no tangible reason for sticking around? Good freakin' luck.
TCR

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:49 am

reformed calvinist wrote:anecdotal evidence is not your friend
that's why i was wondering if there was any evidence available, so i wouldn't have to rely on my anecdotal evidence. was that not clear?

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 am

Bobby Dazzler wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

TCR
makes sense, i just thought i'd ask

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:52 am

rad lulz wrote:
charliep wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Obviously there are no hard numbers, but the ones where I personally know people having or who have had trouble due to this phenomenon are: Nashville (Vanderbilt), St. Louis (Wash U.), NC (UNC), non-ATL GA (UGA), Florida major markets (FL), MS (Ole Miss), and I think a couple other. I've heard a ton of stories from other places around the country, especially in smaller markets.

Of course, you can overcome (through great grades, WE, etc.), but if you're just another nobody in the middle of the class, good luck.
What if you're born and raised in one of those markets but have gone to college/law school outside of the region (yet still have family there)?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 am

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:15 am

OP's original post should be required reading for every 0L before they post in the "Choosing a Law School" forum.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:17 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:32 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:36 am

Fuuuuck I have been on this site too long. Tso mad at 0Ls.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:37 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:45 am

i think you should clarify "national" school to mean one that places into NYC, and to a lesser extent, DC. No school will open doors on a national scale if you don't have ties to all those places.

/pathetic thursday night poast

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:47 am

f0bolous wrote:No school will open doors on a national scale if you don't have ties to all those places.
Yale, FTW

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:49 am

shoeshine wrote:
f0bolous wrote:No school will open doors on a national scale if you don't have ties to all those places.
Yale, FTW
I'm not even sure Yale would open doors ITE in some of the more parochial markets I'm familiar with (MS, SC).

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:52 am

shoeshine wrote:
Yale Harvard, FTW

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:56 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
Yale Harvard, FTW
nah...even from HYS, you'll generally need ties in the secondary markets.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”