UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UGA (sticker) vs Emory (20k/yr)

UGA
41%
Emory
59%

Total votes: 189

MrAnon

Gold

Re: UGA (sticker) vs Emory ($$$) -- Need help deciding ASAP

Post by MrAnon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:47 pm

You don't have to listen to me but I will give you a story to consider.

Buddy of mine went to UGA. Got SA at WLRK and ended up making $300,000 per year by age 26.

His friend went to Emory. Finished magna and editor in chief of law review. Cannot find a job to save his life. Went back to his hometown and now manages the Sizzler chain owned by his father. Thank god for connections.

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:49 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:Anecdote you should give no weight to:

Friend from undergrad and I both finished 1L this year. He went to Emory, I picked UGA. I landed a 1L SA in ATL and he is working an unpaid gig for a vagistrate judge.
1L SA position ITE?
What grades would one have to get in order to get one of these?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:51 pm

splittinghairs wrote:

Friend from undergrad and I both finished 1L this year. He went to Emory, I picked UGA. I landed a 1L SA in ATL and he is working an unpaid gig for a vagistrate judge.
1L SA position ITE?
Where do you want one? Generally need good grades + having ties to a market that hires 1Ls.

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:55 pm

rad law wrote:
splittinghairs wrote:

1L SA position ITE?
Where do you want one? Generally need good grades + having ties to a market that hires 1Ls.
I just meant like generally speaking what kind of grades would one need for a 1L SA from either Emory or UGA at a firm in Atlanta?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:58 pm

splittinghairs wrote:
rad law wrote:
splittinghairs wrote:

1L SA position ITE?
I just meant like generally speaking what kind of grades would one need for a 1L SA from either Emory or UGA at a firm in Atlanta?
At a big law firm? Considering that barely any of them hire and there are tons of people that want them? Stratospheric.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:00 pm

At a big law firm? Considering that barely any of them hire and there are tons of people that want them? Stratospheric.
Yeah, thats what i thought too

kaspar

New

Post by kaspar » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:07 pm

1L SA positions at market-paying firms in Atlanta are nearly non-existent. There are probably <5 spots in the entire city reserved for 1L's. I would guess you are either working at a small- or mid-sized firm, or had an intimate connection. This also answers the question about what grades you would need for such a position: essentially unattainable grades.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:12 pm

kaspar wrote:

1L SA positions at market-paying firms in Atlanta are nearly non-existent. There are probably <5 spots in the entire city reserved for 1L's. I would guess you are either working at a small- or mid-sized firm, or had an intimate connection. This also answers the question about what grades you would need for such a position: essentially unattainable grades.
I have excellent grades and I am an intimate, sensual individual.

Otherwise, I had no connection to the city and lucked into it.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:19 pm

kaspar wrote:I would guess you are either working at a small- or mid-sized firm...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mebeSajid

Bronze

Post by mebeSajid » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:28 pm

splittinghairs wrote: 1L SA position ITE?
It's possible, but just barely. I've got one (but am splitting with the second half with a Magistrate Judge), and I know of two other people in the 1L class who have them at somewhat biggish firms. In general you have to:

1. Have outstanding grades (like top five or ten people in your entire class) - interviews are almost entirely based on this and this alone
2. Come across really well in an interview. Once you get to the interview, your grades do not matter.
3. Being a minority increases your chances somewhat, as the Atlanta bar runs a program for 1L clerkships for minority applicants

But there are something like 15-20 total 1L big-firm positions in the entire city, and you're also competing against the likes of Duke and UVA. And the firms that pay market have them reserved for minority applicants (and those positions pay $1k/week).

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:45 pm

rad law wrote:
kaspar wrote:I would guess you are either working at a small- or mid-sized firm...
u mad?

kaspar

New

Post by kaspar » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:35 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:
rad law wrote:
u mad?
No, not mad, just letting the OP know the severely slim chances of securing a 1L SA position at a big firm in Atlanta. You may be able to get a paying job with a small or mid-sized firm, but if you are gunning for a 1L SA at K&S, A&B, etc., you have almost 0 chance unless you are URM, tip top of your class, and/or go to UVA/Duke/HY.

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Last edited by nmcdgt on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

criticialmass

New

Post by criticialmass » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:14 am

Bump for edit in original post

mebeSajid

Bronze

Post by mebeSajid » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:08 am

criticialmass wrote:Bump for edit in original post
Which is:
Edit: I neglected to mention before that I am planning on doing the joint JD/MBA program, and the quality of the MBA program at the respective law schools is important to me as well. In 2011's USNWR for MBA programs, Emory's business school is ranked 23rd and UGA's 57th. Just wanted to mention this in case it affects anyone's suggestions. Thanks again for all the help.
I'd go to neither in that case and retake, unless your work experience/GMAT suggests that you have no shot at a higher school than Goizueta. Back when I was looking at b-schools several years ago, I thought Emory's was a waste of time and money, but that obviously depends on the quality of your work experience/network/academics. I thought the ROI wasn't there. Overall though, it depends on what you want to do and where you want to be. I don't think the fourth year and extra money is worth it, unless you go to a place like Kellogg, Booth, Columbia, Wharton, etc.

I've tried to talk some UGA Law people out of going to Terry for a fourth year, seeing as how an MBA from Terry isn't really going to add anything to a JD.

kaspar

New

Post by kaspar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:19 am

Last edited by kaspar on Thu May 10, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:33 pm

kaspar wrote:
nmcdgt wrote:
MrAnon wrote:You don't have to listen to me but I will give you a story to consider.

Buddy of mine went to UGA. Got SA at WLRK and ended up making $300,000 per year by age 26.

His friend went to Emory. Finished magna and Editor in Chief of Law Review. Cannot find a job to save his life. Went back to his hometown and now manages the Sizzler chain owned by his father. Thank god for connections.
How is it even possible to finish magna and EiC of LR at Emory and not find a job. There has to be some other underlying issue, or something that comes across in interviews that puts off employers. Even if he didn't land a biglaw job, to not be able to find a job at all with those credentials amazes me.
Don’t feed the troll. There is no such thing as “magna” at Emory Law. (http://www.law.emory.edu/academics/acad ... tml#c11760). Emory “LR” is actually “LJ.” There are no UGA Law grads working at WLRK. (--LinkRemoved--). You can see on the Emory LJ page all the past EICs, and I assure you none of them is unemployed. (http://www.law.emory.edu/student-life/l ... chive.html). Just going back a few years:

Rachel Mondl: SA at Dechert, clerkship on 11th Cir
Deepthy Kishore: clerkship on 11th Cir
Michael Eber: Associate at Rogers & Hardin in Atlanta, clerkship on 11th Cir
John Mittelbach: Associate at Wargo & French in Atlanta, clerkship on 11th Cir
Kiran Raj: Associate at Kellogg, Huber in D.C., clerkship on 2d Cir
Robert McKeehan: Associate at WilmerHale in D.C., clerkship on 6th Cir

MrAnon has some pent up rage against Emory for some reason, but this is the first time I’ve ever seen an outright, bold-faced lie from him.
Can't tell if you are playing along with MrAnon's joke, or if that massive *SWOOOOOOOOSH* was you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

criticialmass

New

Post by criticialmass » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:29 am

Just in case anyone was curious, I decided to go with Emory. At the end of the day, the cost difference wasn't big enough for me to make that the basis of my decision, and I really like the proximity to Atlanta for work experience during law school. I'm also slightly more drawn to Atlanta than Athens, so that did influence my decision. Also, since I do want the JD/MBA, seeing that Emory's b-school rank is 23rd and UGA's is 57 definitely made me lean towards Emory, and further research into the reputation and quality of the respective b-schools really favored Emory (a much larger discrepancy than is present between the law schools). Lastly, After talking to several lawyers working in Atlanta, as well as a contact of mine who is currently clerking, the overwhelming consensus was Emory, basically just coming down to the fact that it is located in the area I would want to work in Georgia and it seems to look better on a resume in general.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to offer help in this decision. Aside from the ADD moments where posters started bashing each other and/or bringing random analogies (which did offer some entertainment value, I must say), there was some great advice and strong support for both sides, and I really don't think I could have gone wrong either way. So thanks again to everyone, and best of luck to you.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:44 am

criticialmass wrote:Just in case anyone was curious, I decided to go with Emory. At the end of the day, the cost difference wasn't big enough for me to make that the basis of my decision, and I really like the proximity to Atlanta for work experience during law school. I'm also slightly more drawn to Atlanta than Athens, so that did influence my decision. Also, since I do want the JD/MBA, seeing that Emory's b-school rank is 23rd and UGA's is 57 definitely made me lean towards Emory, and further research into the reputation and quality of the respective b-schools really favored Emory (a much larger discrepancy than is present between the law schools). Lastly, After talking to several lawyers working in Atlanta, as well as a contact of mine who is currently clerking, the overwhelming consensus was Emory, basically just coming down to the fact that it is located in the area I would want to work in Georgia and it seems to look better on a resume in general.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to offer help in this decision. Aside from the ADD moments where posters started bashing each other and/or bringing random analogies (which did offer some entertainment value, I must say), there was some great advice and strong support for both sides, and I really don't think I could have gone wrong either way. So thanks again to everyone, and best of luck to you.
I thought this one was a cakewalk from the beginning. People get way too caught up in year to year fluctuating in the USNEWS rankings.

Good call OP.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:06 pm

criticialmass wrote:Just in case anyone was curious, I decided to go with Emory. At the end of the day, the cost difference wasn't big enough for me to make that the basis of my decision, and I really like the proximity to Atlanta for work experience during law school. I'm also slightly more drawn to Atlanta than Athens, so that did influence my decision. Also, since I do want the JD/MBA, seeing that Emory's b-school rank is 23rd and UGA's is 57 definitely made me lean towards Emory, and further research into the reputation and quality of the respective b-schools really favored Emory (a much larger discrepancy than is present between the law schools). Lastly, After talking to several lawyers working in Atlanta, as well as a contact of mine who is currently clerking, the overwhelming consensus was Emory, basically just coming down to the fact that it is located in the area I would want to work in Georgia and it seems to look better on a resume in general.

Good luck. Remember that if things don't work out, you can always move to Nebraska, at least according to Prof. Stadler.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:07 pm

scammedhard wrote:

Good luck. Remember that if things don't work out, you can always move to Nebraska, at least according to Prof. Stadler.
And if UGA doesn't work out, you can move to Resaca or Warner Robbins?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:23 pm

scammedhard wrote:

Yeah, keep taking this quote out of context. I had Stadler, she's a great teacher and a great person. Go back to the ATL comments.

OP, congrats on your decision and good luck at school. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about Emory. There's been some abysmal logic ITT regarding the future and job placement of both schools. Two things to consider:
1. I would bet a very large amount of money that state law schools are going to decline enormously in the rankings (with the exception of essentially private schools T14s like UVA) over the next 10 years due to budget cuts. See the recent demise of the HOPE scholarship.
2. Maybe more UGA grads work at premier Atlanta firms because Emory grads go all over the east coast. I'm looking at Florida and there are more than a few Emory grads in every major firm in every major city.

legalresearch

New

Post by legalresearch » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:43 am

splittinghairs wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
waitingisfun wrote:An extra 30k is a lot to me for a school that doesn't place better in Georgia. In terms of flexibility UGA will give you options throughout the South-East region. If you wanted to end up in North Carolina or something like that it would be possible. However, it is true that Emory will give you a higher chance to leave the South-East region since it places relatively well in New York. Honestly though, if you do well at UGA you will probably land a job at a large law firm in Atlanta which down the road could offer promotions to work in other offices across the country.

If you are happy living in the South-East region than go to UGA for 30k less. If you want to get out and go to New York than go to Emory. But honestly if you are trying to go to New York a school like Fordham (similar in selectivity) would probably be better.
Also, Emory may not place better in Savannah (although I researched the legal market there and saw lots of Emory grads), but it definitely places better in Atlanta. Just scroll through the larger firms. You not only see more Emory, you don't see Law Review or Order of the Coif or whatever by their names like you ALWAYS do with UGA grads.

If you want to work in a small town and are certain of that, definitely UGA for the local alumni network (both grad and undergrad) and for the cheaper price. If you want ANYWHERE ELSE or you are not sure, definitely Emory.
What a load of dung.

Looking at King and Spalding 52 UGA graduates work there compared to 39 Emory Grads. 46 UGA and only 31 Emory grads working at the Atlanta Office specifically. Furthermore, 20 of out 52 are partners from UGA, while 13 out of 39 are partners from Emory. Looks like that extra 1 or 2 points Emory grads got on the LSAT doesnt really make a difference.

Most grads from UGA and Emory tend to have latin honors or LR. It is simply flawed to extrapolate your odds at biglaw based on looking at people's honors from their school.

UGA grads place just as well as Emory grads in Atlanta. In fact, based on sheer numbers UGA actually outnumber Emory grads. I realize that this is probably due to 75% of UGA grads staying in Georgia and 40% of Emory staying in GA, so an advantage in numbers is not indicative of your odds of making it. Yet even sheer numbers help in terms of having alumni working at the firms.

This +1

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:18 am

Getting into Emory Law doesn't guarantee acceptance into the MBA program. The opportunity to get the JD/MBA isn't a sure thing.

molloyboytoy

New

Post by molloyboytoy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:50 pm

I think everyone has forgotten UGA's recent rankings slide as well. GA law as a whole took a hit during the last rankings cycle. Emory is clearly the better school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”